Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Wally West's role model for rehabilitation: Hal Jordan?

Once upon the time, in the mid-1990s, DC Comics utterly destroyed one of its most important characters: Hal Jordan, the Silver/Bronze Age Green Lantern, at the time perhaps the best-known iteration of Green Lantern. Through stories such as EMERALD TWILIGHT, ZERO HOUR, and FINAL NIGHT, DC dismantled Hal's character, leading to a decade-long period in the wilderness for Hal. At the turn of the century, prospects were dim for Hal ever returning to glory as Green Lantern.

In 2005, the improbable happened: Geoff Johns restored Hal to life as a Green Lantern, and provided a reason for Hal's past transgressions that absolved him of all blame. Almost miraculously, Hal was rehabilitated and restored to his former glory.

Could Hal's journey become the model for the restoration of Wally West?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Well, Wally did not become a deranged genocidal mass-murderer, so that's a score for him. Also, he did not intentionally kill the people he did, pretty much his biggest transgression was framing others for it to cover his tracks, so I think his "redemption" angle would likely be way easier to do than Hal's. I can see the similarities in terms of what could happen if a character with a lot of power loses control, which I imagine would be explored in the Flash Forward book. And uncle Hal can make a guest appearance since who else knows better than him what it means to fall from grace and make a huge comeback.

BANNED

All you need is an administration at DC Comics who doesn't like the story and for them to come out and publicly admit it was character assassination and say the story never happened in continuity, and push it off to some kind of Elseworld. And that would be that.

That's all I would do if I was in charge. I wouldn't even bother jumping through any kind of narrative hoops to try to get something to gel with that. I'd just retcon it out of continuity.

Maybe he can reboot the DCU like Hal and Barry have.
    That would help.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Maybe he can reboot the DCU like Hal and Barry have.
    That would help.
    They say three heads are better than one, so let's have all three work it together.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I don't want rehabilitation. I want this story to be taken out of continuity.

If it takes a reboot, so be it.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    They say three heads are better than one, so let's have all three work it together.

Maybe they'll get it right this time...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

I'm amused by how you mention Final Night as part of his destruction. Final Night was his redemption. GL Rebirth was him being absolved of crime. They're different concepts.

Wally will never, ever, ever get Hal's treatment. Hal is part of the roster DC wants to support in media in general and Wally is not. They're not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I don't want rehabilitation. I want this story to be taken out of continuity.

If it takes a reboot, so be it.
    Rehab shouldn't be the solution. The solution is never letting horrible ideas like this see the light of day.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

1.) Get a good writer.

2.) I'll get back to you when we get past Step 1.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    1.) Get a good writer.

Lol, this is so accurate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    1.) Get a good writer.

Wait 10 years, until a new A-list writer and futur architect of Dc, who was a fan of Justice league Unlimited when he was a chid, decide that Wally West is the only true Flash.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Wait 10 years, until a new A-list writer and futur architect of Dc, who was a fan of Justice league Unlimited when he was a chid, decide that Wally West is the only true Flash.
    We already have.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Ultimately, this solves nothing, as all we'll get is decade after decade of Barry fans and Wally fans taking turns one-upping each other. There was never meant to be two opposing camps of Flash fans.

Astonishing Member

Those fans are already here and they've done little to nothing. The vast majority of current writers have professed that they prefer Wally when asked. I'm not sure what generation you're waiting on but 10 years from now all you'll get is people who only grew up with Barry. People who love Barry from the show or only started with the New 52.

This fabled day where Wally gets his day in the sun is passed.