Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's problematic about it?
    The fact that we already have Hawkman and Dr. Fate in the DCU as it is. Also the implications that they’ve abandoned whatever plans the Button set up for Jay Garrick. It’s as if there is no DC Universe anymore and every title takes place in a completely separate continuity. Almost a decade out and we’re still feeling the damage the New 52 caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    The fact that we already have Hawkman and Dr. Fate in the DCU as it is. Also the implications that they’ve abandoned whatever plans the Button set up for Jay Garrick. It’s as if there is no DC Universe anymore and every title takes place in a completely separate continuity. Almost a decade out and we’re still feeling the damage the New 52 caused.
    At this point I sincerely doubt anyone remembers the button.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Snyder's twitter (I guess it's the last page of JL #30):

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...29592354918400
    OMG!!! I've been waiting for this moment for so many years! (and i don't mean since 2011)

[QUOTE=Frontier;4534706]Jorge Jiminez drawing the JSA...is all I live for .

I'm kind of shocked Mid-Nite and Terry Sloane aren't in there.

I mean, maybe DC doesn't want to connect Mr. Terrific to the JSA again, but Mid-Nite is kinda weird to leave out.

Spetre I'm kind of surprised about since he was in Doomsday Clock too.

What's problematic about it?[/QUOTE]

LOL all they've done so far is INTRODUCE THEMSELVES!!!
    All can not be explained in the first panel.

The absence of some GA members doesn't mean they won't show up.
    Based on their apparently younger ages, I'd guess this is a time-displaced JSA from the 40's.
    Still time for later members and other members.

Dr. Fate appearing doesn't mean he isn't Kent Nelson, and can't have a good long run as a non-aging Kent that leads into JLD. Similar with a magically non-aging Jim Corrigan/Spectre.

GA Black Canary appearing right away might open the door to too many questions they don't want to answer yet (but doesn't mean they won't), although it would have been nice to see a female member of the team. But she could still appear down the road with GA history intact.

A 1940's time displaced Jay Garrick doesn't mean the much older version from "The Button", won't come into play.

Maybe we should wait until we see a second panel before drawing conclusions?

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Maybe we should wait until we see a second panel before drawing conclusions?
    It's not like we hadn't started drawing conclusions before the first panel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    At this point I sincerely doubt anyone remembers the button.
    I mean, I do. I hope astro@work is right, but I don't know how much faith I have in DC at the moment.

Jesus. DC is just such a mess right now. Even the return of the JSA is already problematic. Like, what happened with the Jay we saw during The Button? There needs to be a regime change. Just give Geoff the reigns.
    What's problematic about it?
    LOL all they've done so far is INTRODUCE THEMSELVES!!!
    All can not be explained in the first panel.

The absence of some GA members doesn't mean they won't show up.
    Based on their apparently younger ages, I'd guess this is a time-displaced JSA from the 40's.
    I guess nobody reads (or remembers) solicitations?
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #31 YOTV

JUL190578
    (W) Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV
    (A) Jorge Jimenez (CA) Francis Manapul
    "The Justice Doom War" part two! The culmination of Lex Luthor's plan hinges on his beating the Justice League to the prize, ratcheting up the peril as the Year of the Villain continues! The Totality has shattered and its pieces have been tossed across space and time. Thus, the Justice League must also split apart, forming three search teams to comb the past, present, and future to re-combine the Totality before the Legion of Doom can get its villainous hands on the cosmic weapon. What allies will our heroes find in these other timelines? In the future, it's the Last Boy on Earth, Kamandi! But in the past, there are the familiar faces of the Justice Society of America!
    In Shops: Sep 04, 2019
    (U.S.)SRP: $3.99
    (https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JU...alog/JUL190578)
    The Justice League is encountering the JSA in the past, not the present.

I mean, I do. I hope astro@work is right, but I don't know how much faith I have in DC at the moment.
    While I'm jokingly tempted to ask "What's the Button"?...I do remember it too. And it was published in 2016 IIRC, 3 & 1/2 years ago....
    Not sure this helps on the faith in DC issue.

While I'm jokingly tempted to ask "What's the Button"?...I do remember it too. And it was published in 2016 IIRC, 3 & 1/2 years ago....
    Actually, it was in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I haven't read JL Dark, but I have heard that the Kent Nelson Fate from Paul Levitz's Dr. Fate series. My initial take is the this JSA Fate is compatible with Levitz's version. What are the main differences between the JL Dark and the Levitz version?
    Not sure about the Levitz version but in a recent issue of JLD Kent retold his Golden Age origin. So it sounds like he’s the real deal.

I think it would be cool if this is actually the classic Earth 2 version. That way Johns can finish his long delayed story with the original outcome. Having the JSA return here really kills one of the big anticipated reveals/returns. We still don’t have the resolution of Johnny Thunder wishing them away or the results of Alan’s lantern lighting up.

Maybe we should stop thinking about continuity since DC has brought back Hypertime. Time is like a river with many different offshoots that eventually make their way back to the main river. So everything happened in some form.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-27-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not sure about the Levitz version but in a recent issue of JLD Kent retold his Golden Age origin. So it sounds like he’s the real deal.
    The Levitz version seemed to be the "real" version as well. Although he hadn't been active for a while and a younger hoodie wearing version was taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it would be cool if this is actually the classic Earth 2 version. That way Johns can finish his long delayed story with the original outcome. Having the JSA return here really kills one of the big anticipated reveals/returns. We still don’t have the resolution of Johnny Thunder wishing them away or the results of Alan’s lantern lighting up.

Maybe we should stop thinking about continuity since DC has brought back Hypertime. Time is like a river with many different offshoots that eventually make their way back to the main river. So everything happened in some form.
    I find the multiple stories and threads regarding the JSA's return to be frustrating. I don't mind a long, drawn-out story, but hunting and picking pieces in Dr Fate, Blue Beetle, Justice league, Flash, Batman, Doomsday Clock is a monumental pain if all I want isa JSA return. Hypertime, IIRC, was meant to be a solution to smaller continuity flaws. Stuff like Fate wearing his half-helmet at a time when he was known to be wearing the full helmet. Stuff like a different origin and a shifting cast of who channels Nabu seems more than what Hypertime was meant to handle.

DClock 11 and JL 30 are out soon. I expect more questions than answers, but something is happening.

Hawkman is easy to explain since it's probably one of his earlier incarnations.

I assume the Helmet of Nabu probably prolonged Kent's life expectancy.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Hawkman is easy to explain since it's probably one of his earlier incarnations.

I assume the Helmet of Nabu probably prolonged Kent's life expectancy.
    Agreed. I don't see the problem here at all. They've already established that one of the current Hawkman's past reincarnations was the 1940s Hawkman in his comic and they've similarly established in Justice League Dark that Kent Nelson's been around as Dr. Fate since the 1940s as well.

Since we don't know how Alan's fate will be resolved in Doomsday Clock or what Jay Garrick's cameo in The Button was all about yet, you could have problems there, but since we're dealing with a timey-wimey crisis on a Multiversal scale, their appearances here could be explained away easily enough.

Until Doomsday Clock is finished, I don't think anyone can say how that story is or isn't being affected by whatever Snyder's cooking up in Justice League. Given that they've both been coordinating with each other as far back as Metal over their two stories, it seems unlikely that either gentlemen is trying to derail the other's plan.

Ideally, Doomsday Clock would have concluded by now, but, since that wasn't possible, DC has made the best of it and is trying to satisfy everyone by letting Bendis and Snyder use the LSH and JSA now, which is when everyone, including Johns, agreed to at the last big DC creative summit.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I do miss The Spectre from the roster, I understand that he doesn't fit there anymore aside from the historical context. Doctor Mid-Nite missing kills me though

And I still miss some of the new kids like Power Girl, Stargirl and Michael Holt. I hope that they return along with Doc Mid-Nite when they get their own book.
    The Spectre wasn't just present in a scene in Doomsday Clock #10 that could be said to no longer be in continuity, he is clearly in the material Rorschach gives Lois Lane. How they will reconcile this with Jim Corrigan getting his origin in the Nu 52, I have no idea. And I'm not convinced they know either.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    The Spectre wasn't just present in a scene in Doomsday Clock #10 that could be said to no longer be in continuity, he is clearly in the material Rorschach gives Lois Lane. How they will reconcile this with Jim Corrigan getting his origin in the Nu 52, I have no idea. And I'm not convinced they know either.
    I think DC just generally sees the Spectre as too big for the JSA, and given his nature as an aspect of The Presence tied to a mortal soul, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Doomsday Clock stands apart because retcons are part of the story and witnessed by Doctor Manhatten. The Spectre was in that footage because he was there in the Golden Age. Clark was a member of the Legion in Doomsday Clock because that's how it was created, but he's not anymore.

Doomsday Clock just isn't the Rosetta Stone for continuity that it was propped up as. It's either been quietly made into a Black Label off-continuity book or there's a big retcon at the end which essentially renders all current books moot. Frankly I don't see the latter happening. You wouldn't let Bendis make over a year of Superman books about setting up a Legion without Clark being its inspiration, switching that over to Jon, and then let Johns muck it up five months later.

But Dan would. Alright, maybe you're on to something!