Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I wondered the same thing. Jay should only be about 22 at this point, and not too far past his college graduation.
    I think it's probably just an homage to the lingo of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Throwing this observation out there...
    Why is Jay calling Barry "son"? If this is 1941, I'd imagine Barry and John would be a few years older than Jay and company. Is the thought of an older jay so stuck in everyone's mind?
    well, the entire Justice Society seem to be drawn to be older, I'd guess late 30 at youngest mid-50s at oldest based on the age lines on the characters. I suppose they decided to to go this route because as time moves forward, it becomes less plausible that they'd be in their prime during WW2 without being decrepit or 100% dead by modern-day, so they went with them as seasoned heroes in the 40s to maintain their elder statesman relationship with the League in the story.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think it's probably just an homage to the lingo of the time.
    Even in the day, though, it was a term directed towards a younger male. I suppose i's possible Jay could faking an older and supposedly more dominant role, but the term seems off unless we are talking an older Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    well, the entire Justice Society seem to be drawn to be older, I'd guess late 30 at youngest mid-50s at oldest based on the age lines on the characters. I suppose they decided to to go this route because as time moves forward, it becomes less plausible that they'd be in their prime during WW2 without being decrepit or 100% dead by modern-day, so they went with them as seasoned heroes in the 40s to maintain their elder statesman relationship with the League in the story.
    If the JSA were older heroes at the time, even past 30, they would have recognized Pearl Harbor and the Dec. 7, 1941 date. The date marks them as younger and experienced maybe one to two years of experience.

Even in the day, though, it was a term directed towards a younger male. I suppose i's possible Jay could faking an older and supposedly more dominant role, but the term seems off unless we are talking an older Jay.

If the JSA were older heroes at the time, even past 30, they would have recognized Pearl Harbor and the Dec. 7, 1941 date. The date marks them as younger and experienced maybe one to two years of experience.
    why would they recognize that? pearl harbor hasn't happened yet for them, it's just a day for them. you also have to remember we're dealing with Hypertime, you can't assume to know exactly what the timeline of events are for this JSA. the only thing we know about these particular characters is they are older, ranging from pushing 40 to the north of 50 based on their appearance, and this is their present, their today. we can't presume to know how long they've been active and the date doesn't really tell us anything because (again) it's Hypertime, we don't know the timeline of events for these guys before this point.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Throwing this observation out there...
    Why is Jay calling Barry "son"? If this is 1941, I'd imagine Barry and John would be a few years older than Jay and company. Is the thought of an older jay so stuck in everyone's mind?
    He’s simply reminding Barry of his place as the, second flash
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

why would they recognize that? pearl harbor hasn't happened yet for them, it's just a day for them. you also have to remember we're dealing with Hypertime, you can't assume to know exactly what the timeline of events are for this JSA. the only thing we know about these particular characters is they are older, ranging from pushing 40 to the north of 50 based on their appearance, and this is their present, their today. we can't presume to know how long they've been active and the date doesn't really tell us anything because (again) it's Hypertime, we don't know the timeline of events for these guys before this point.
    My point is exactly that. If Pearl harbor hadn't happened for them yet, they're still new in their careers. Barry and John aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    He’s simply reminding Barry of his place as the, second flash
    Clearly, this is the correct interpretation.

Fantastic Member

My point is exactly that. If Pearl harbor hadn't happened for them yet, they're still new in their careers. Barry and John aren't.

Clearly, this is the correct interpretation.
    Will this be the JSA going forward, history-wise, I wonder? I've noticed some tweaks from this issue that seem to deviate from some of the history of the characters as we have known them such as the line that infers that Wes is a writer (of pulps?) instead of the philanthropist playboy/businessman from Pre-Flashpoint. Wasn't it Dian that was the well-known and respected writer?

Fantastic Member

Snyder's quote in this recent Newsarama piece confirms that this is a young JSA, not an older one. Chalk up any supposed "wrinkles" or "gray hair" to artistic interpretation.

https://www.newsarama.com/46785-how-...tt-snyder.html

Two things about Jay's "son" comment:
    1) Men were "men" at a younger age back then and
    2) People live longer now and age slower - Barry probably looks and comes across as younger to them.

I mean, when I see some of those older movie stars in their prime, it doesn't matter if I'm ten or more years older than they were, those guys still look older than me to my eyes.

Do I get the "NO-Prize?"
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Will this be the JSA going forward, history-wise, I wonder? I've noticed some tweaks from this issue that seem to deviate from some of the history of the characters as we have known them such as the line that infers that Wes is a writer (of pulps?) instead of the philanthropist playboy/businessman from Pre-Flashpoint. Wasn't it Dian that was the well-known and respected writer?
    I'm guessing with some tweaks happening to the JSA before their revival. Certainly costuming can change and I'd be 100% behind more gas mask for Sandman. As to Wes' writing, that could also be a tweak, although we never really got a handle on Wes' professional career, except the ubiquitous "playboy" role. Decreasing Dian's involvement would be something I think would be a mistake as her role was very important to Wes.

Pretty much every revival of the JSA has included some retconning of supposedly trivial details. And there is going to be some major changes in how the JSA ends up in the present day and supposedly remembered by the world. There's still DClock 12 which may contain some details on the JSA as well as the conclusion of Justice/Doom War which may or may not present the JSA's latest incarnation.

The good point is we are seeing more of the JSA but these instances are still part of the carrot we're chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Snyder's quote in this recent Newsarama piece confirms that this is a young JSA, not an older one. Chalk up any supposed "wrinkles" or "gray hair" to artistic interpretation.

https://www.newsarama.com/46785-how-...tt-snyder.html
    People are too predisposed to the JSA as old dudes .

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Two things about Jay's "son" comment:
    1) Men were "men" at a younger age back then and
    2) People live longer now and age slower - Barry probably looks and comes across as younger to them.

I mean, when I see some of those older movie stars in their prime, it doesn't matter if I'm ten or more years older than they were, those guys still look older than me to my eyes.

Do I get the "NO-Prize?"
    That's how I read it. Google some old movie stars from that era, you'll swear they're in their 40's when they're barely into their 20's. People aged hard back then.

But I'm sure artistic vision played a part too; we're so used to the idea of the JSA as being old it seems odd to see them young.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But I'm sure artistic vision played a part too; we're so used to the idea of the JSA as being old it seems odd to see them young.
    Maybe that's ultimately why it was hard for people to completely buy into New 52 Earth-2...

I'm guessing with some tweaks happening to the JSA before their revival. Certainly costuming can change and I'd be 100% behind more gas mask for Sandman. As to Wes' writing, that could also be a tweak, although we never really got a handle on Wes' professional career, except the ubiquitous "playboy" role. Decreasing Dian's involvement would be something I think would be a mistake as her role was very important to Wes.
    One thing that we see Wes doing several times in the Golden Age is designing weapons. In his first story, he's designed a "ray gun" and has to protect the blueprints. Later on he designs the "wirepoon", and then in the retcon that explains what happened to Sandy, he designed the silicon gun. And of course the gas gun is his design as well. It might be interesting to see some aspects of that side of his skillset explored.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I wondered the same thing. Jay should only be about 22 at this point, and not too far past his college graduation.
    Yup, it's more likely he'd be calling Barry "sir" since he'd be older than Jay by about a decade.