Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hippolyta and THe Gods

In both new 52 and Rebirth Hippoltya is scared of Hera. Yet Hippoltya has stood up to them multiple times. How should Hippolyta to with the Gods

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    In both new 52 and Rebirth Hippoltya is scared of Hera. Yet Hippoltya has stood up to them multiple times. How should Hippolyta to with the Gods
    Instead of fear, I think reverence with healthy respect to the Amazon's patron gods would be appropriate. Questioning a god's wisdom is fine, as long as it doesn't cross the line into disrespect or blasphemy. After all, the Greek gods are known to be petty and toy with mortals for their own amusement and known to punish when they feel slighted. Dealing with a powerful being like that most likely took finesse, even for someone in their favor.

This is why I think the Amazons should not just for the Greek Gods but any Gods have weapons that can kill them

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Instead of fear, I think reverence with healthy respect to the Amazon's patron gods would be appropriate. Questioning a god's wisdom is fine, as long as it doesn't cross the line into disrespect or blasphemy. After all, the Greek gods are known to be petty and toy with mortals for their own amusement and known to punish when they feel slighted. Dealing with a powerful being like that most likely took finesse, even for someone in their favor.
    Yeah it's shown when WW talks to them. She's careful to avoid angering or offending them. Even the ones she doesn't like she's polite to.

To add to what donnafan said, it really should be individually tailored to each god (or goddess). The Amazons as a group might have a close relationship with some gods or goddesses, but individual Amazons might have a different set they relate to more or less strongly.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

In the Perez reboot, I kind of liked how the gods were a relatively new experience for the Amazons after being on the island for millennia. IIRC, before Diana, the last time any of them had a run-in with them, it was Hippolyta solo moment of being freed from Heracles to lead the Amazons to the island.

Zeus as Diana's father throws that out the window of course, but I kind of liked the former scenario, because the gods were mysterious to them, in a way, until Diana wins the contest and Ares, Hermes, Deimos, Eris, Phobos, etc. start manifesting physically before them and interacting with them, to certain degrees.

Based on that alone, I was always curious and would like some writer to do a subplot about how personal interaction with the personification of their godly avatars might change their religion, spirituality, and worship of the pantheon.

If we go with original origins mostly female gods were involved with the Amazons. This is where I often considered that the Amazons maybe should have their own cities. Much like Greek or Roman many names it variants of the gods. Each city for each god.

How do you all feel about Rebirth Gods?

more specifically?

Are their personalities interesting or are they boring?

I liked the designs for the "New" (Olympian) Gods by Chiang in the DCnU and some of Azz's characterization of them, similarly to what I'm enjoying in GWW's take with varied artists - especially Xermanico though.

But, I'm not one that needs the gods portrayed in a single way - I like that they're sometimes mysterious or classical looking or symbolically derived from the symbols associated with them or forces of nature. I kind of prefer a jumble and use of all variations, depending on their use in the story.

It makes sense for the gods to be able to chose their appearance, within reason. People can change clothes, gods should have some ability to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It makes sense for the gods to be able to chose their appearance, within reason. People can change clothes, gods should have some ability to do that too.
    I've never understood the stagnant, Hellenistic-only depictions of the gods (besides being fun and classical.) I really liked when Rucka showed them in contemporary styles and forms as well, depending on what they were up too.

Similarly, it's not my fave to see the Amazons with only a single style of architecture or clothing. Over their millennias on the island they'd always be trying new things and expressing themselves. I liked Rucka/Scott's second run for that, as well as Morrison/Paquette's depiction of the Amazons and their culture in Earth One.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    In the Perez reboot, I kind of liked how the gods were a relatively new experience for the Amazons after being on the island for millennia. IIRC, before Diana, the last time any of them had a run-in with them, it was Hippolyta solo moment of being freed from Heracles to lead the Amazons to the island.

Zeus as Diana's father throws that out the window of course, but I kind of liked the former scenario, because the gods were mysterious to them, in a way, until Diana wins the contest and Ares, Hermes, Deimos, Eris, Phobos, etc. start manifesting physically before them and interacting with them, to certain degrees.

Based on that alone, I was always curious and would like some writer to do a subplot about how personal interaction with the personification of their godly avatars might change their religion, spirituality, and worship of the pantheon.
    Ironically, it was because of Hera making Heracles' life so miserable from the get go that he ended up getting the 12 Labors (and thus went after the Golden Girdle).

So, yeah. Kind of a catch-22 with the Greek Pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've never understood the stagnant, Hellenistic-only depictions of the gods (besides being fun and classical.) I really liked when Rucka showed them in contemporary styles and forms as well, depending on what they were up too.

Similarly, it's not my fave to see the Amazons with only a single style of architecture or clothing. Over their millennias on the island they'd always be trying new things and expressing themselves. I liked Rucka/Scott's second run for that, as well as Morrison/Paquette's depiction of the Amazons and their culture in Earth One.
    Yeah I loved the books where Circe and Ares were pretending to be Humans.