Astonishing Member

Default So, what was Wonder Woman up to in the comics of 1984?

Since around a year from now, we'll be getting a movie about Wonder Woman set in the year 1984 and called Wonder Woman 1984, what I'm curious to know is - what was Wonder Woman up to in the comics published in 1984?

To anyone familiar with the stories of that era, is there anything from those comics that you feel the film can or should incorporate or homage in some way?

Well around this time it’s doing the post crisis era. So Perez era. This storyline is somewhat Cheetah Perez era. They might be other things

Checking the DC wikia, 1984 is the period of mainly Dan Mishkin (writer) and Don Heck (pencils/ink). There were also the Huntress backup stories. The only story I've read of these is one where an alien gremlins infest the invisible plane and latch onto Steve Trevor, which was rather ho-hum.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well around this time it’s doing the post crisis era. So Perez era. This storyline is somewhat Cheetah Perez era. They might be other things
    Actually, the Post-Crisis era didn't impact the WW comic until 1986 with the Perez revamp. The book was in a bit of a slump both sales wise and creatively. The last WW series 1 was dated Feb 86 and was a Crisis tie-in, written by Gerry Conway and art by Don Heck. In the intro to his WW collected work, Perez wrote that until the reboot, the WW comic was not a sought after place for artists or writers. It was the lowest selling book and lowest print run at the time and many big-name creators at the time didn't want to go near it. It took almost a full year for DC editorial to decide what to do with the character/book after the last issue. Perez revitalized the book and it set the standards for years to come.

Retired

On sale June 7th, 1984, was WONDER WOMAN No. 319 (September 1984) featuring "Diana Prince, Traitor" by Dan Mishkin, Don Heck and Rick Magyar--the story did have Dr. Cyber in it, so that's something. More popular was the back-up series starring the Huntress--this issue had "The Ozymandias Solution" by Joey Cavalieri and Stan Woch.

1984 was probably one of pre-Crisis Wonder Woman's weakest years. She was a lame duck Princess, just playing out her contract until she could retire. Nowadays, I have respect for Don Heck, but back then if Heck was doing the art then it probably meant the series was doomed, as they couldn't get a bigger name artist to do it.

It's pretty odd to have a movie set in 1984, given it was such a lacklustre year for Diana Prince. Obviously, nothing from the comics is inspiring that date.

So maybe not the comics but history wise is what she is going for

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On sale June 7th, 1984, was WONDER WOMAN No. 319 (September 1984) featuring "Diana Prince, Traitor" by Dan Mishkin, Don Heck and Rick Magyar--the story did have Dr. Cyber in it, so that's something. More popular was the back-up series starring the Huntress--this issue had "The Ozymandias Solution" by Joey Cavalieri and Stan Woch.

I think her comics were coming to an end because of Crisis, the final issue tie-in was pretty good though.

So maybe not the comics but history wise is what she is going for
    From interviews, this is what Patty Jenkins is going for—she seems genuinely interested in the mid-80's era, with both the civilisation accomplishments and the various tensions in society. You also have the callback to Orwell's 1984, which I'm sure played no small part for marketing to wanting to put it in that year.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

By the way, it would be a bit hard for a mid-1984 issue to be doing a "post Crisis era" since the first issue of Crisis on Infinite Earths wasn't released until closer to the start of 1985. (Cover-date of issue #1 was actually April 1985.)

Retired

There were plans for this Crisis event years ahead of when it actually came out, but the plans kept changing. I have a theory that's why the solution to the problem keeps altering as the 12 issue series unfolds--it's like Marv Wolfman is showing the different ideas they had before they landed on the final one. And because they didn't know what they were going to do with characters like Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash--the comics had to stall for time. Which is why the Trial of the Flash was stretched out for so long--Cary Bates would have wrapped it up much sooner, but he was told to keep it going so the book would end by the time of the Crisis. The same thing seems to have happened with Wonder Woman, where Dan Mishkin couldn't really do anything big with the character because her fate was undetermined.

I believe she was battling the likes of Circe and Tezcatlicopa circa 1984. I have that issue posted above #319 and Dr. Cyber was fully masked. There was also that little green gremlin that was following Major Diana Prince around though I don't remember why.