Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Can Organic and Mechanical Web-Shooters Coexist?

I'm working on my own fanon Marvel Universe, and in it, Peter Parker uses organic webbing, but still uses mechanical web shooters utilizing specialized web cartridges.

Is it possible for this to happen? If so, how?

Maybe the mechanical web shooters operate as nozzles on his wrist allowing him to direct and disrupt the flow of the web fluid, or split it into two streams and do "trick shots". Maybe without the web shooters he's very inaccurate, doesn't go far, and it tends to go all over. The cartridges help him store up extra web fluid in case he runs into an issue like in Spider-man 2 where he suddenly can't make anymore on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Maybe the mechanical web shooters operate as nozzles on his wrist allowing him to direct and disrupt the flow of the web fluid, or split it into two streams and do "trick shots". Maybe without the web shooters he's very inaccurate, doesn't go far, and it tends to go all over. The cartridges help him store up extra web fluid in case he runs into an issue like in Spider-man 2 where he suddenly can't make anymore on his own.
    Wasn't that more or less what was used in the novelization of the original movie?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I would do a modification of this. He needs the shooters to direct and weave his webbing. Also he needs the cartridges in order to create special web effects like taser webs.

The only way I see it "co-existing" is some Spiders have web-shooters and some have organic webbing.

So basically how it is now in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wasn't that more or less what was used in the novelization of the original movie?
    I'm sorry I haven't read it, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it in those lines, but these also might be some cool gadgets and implements for Kaine Parker to get his hands on.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Easiest way to have both is to make them serve different functions & different ways to activate them. That way you can have your cake, justify it and eat it too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    I'm working on my own fanon Marvel Universe, and in it, Peter Parker uses organic webbing, but still uses mechanical web shooters utilizing specialized web cartridges.

Well, I thought about the same thing for a long time. I mean, to avoid the classic situation about run out of web fluid at the worst times, you have a second way of web-fluid just in case. Mechanical Web-Shooters can be deactivated when they are simply no needed, allowing you to use the organic ones in the meantime.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post

It's your fannon, choose how you want.

Me, I'm just going with old-fashioned mechanized web shooters.

I'm sorry I haven't read it, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it in those lines, but these also might be some cool gadgets and implements for Kaine Parker to get his hands on.
    Got a copy myself, but am too lazy to flip through it. Kind of an odd read all these years later, given that it's written like the rest of the Marvel Universe exists in the background (although the X-Men are just movie characters, for some reason), making it feel a bit more like an MCU precursor then the movie itself was. Also a lot of the extra scenes don't mesh with the later movies (like Eddie Brock working for the Daily Bugle), although there is some nice connective tissue.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Got a copy myself, but am too lazy to flip through it. Kind of an odd read all these years later, given that it's written like the rest of the Marvel Universe exists in the background (although the X-Men are just movie characters, for some reason), making it feel a bit more like an MCU precursor then the movie itself was. Also a lot of the extra scenes don't mesh with the later movies (like Eddie Brock working for the Daily Bugle), although there is some nice connective tissue.
    I still prefer the original Raimi Spider-man movies over the version of Spider-man that Marvel is currently selling. They had a lot of heart and there is a timeless feel about them, and that book does seem like an interesting curiosity I would want to peruse. They did name drop Dr. Strange during Spider-man 2, but that's all I can think of as far as them referring to a larger MU.

might as well. make it happen.

isnt that what Miles had? organic webbing alongside web shooters unless that was only for the final arc written by Bendis
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    isnt that what Miles had? organic webbing alongside web shooters unless that was only for the final arc written by Bendis
    That hasn't been acknowledged since Bendis left. Miles has just been using normal web-shooters.

They probably reverted due to Into the Spider-Verse. That last arc needs some serious patching anyway, it was so rushed that not only did Bendis use the Champions to quickly wrap up the Sinister Six story, he couldn't even get the roster right (apparently he didn't know that Cyclops was off the team and Nadia was joining - he shouldn't have had Cyclops and Ironheart together, and yes, Riri was treated as a team member - it was later revealed it takes place after Champions #21, and the roster change happened in issue 18). It's a shame it can't be redrawn, changing all usage of organic webbing to classic webs, and replacing Cyclops with Unstoppable Wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only way I see it "co-existing" is some Spiders have web-shooters and some have organic webbing.

So basically how it is now in the comics.
    For the record, Peter, Miles, and Otto use mechanical, and Venom, Gwen, Silk, and Anya all use organics.

Wait, that reminds me of something.... Gwen used to use mechanical shooters too, until she got her symbiote. And hers don't use cartridges, it's an infinite supply. Miles has a problem recently in that Ganke can't manufacture enough web fluid due to strict controls at the school lab. Maybe Gwen should give Miles her webshooters?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman