Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    It will be a betrayal to all of us that have been reading King's Batman if they don't.
    It really isn't. He never promised you a marriage. he promised to explore if batman can be happy. How many stories do you know that spoil themselves? How many comics reveal the big ending twist years ahead?

The very fact that readers are expecting a wedding almost means that there won't be one. You have been reading King's Batman because you are enjoying the story he's telling not because you are hoping for a wedding at the end I hope.

I'm fine with "Bruce and Selina" marrying. The idea of "Bat and Cat" marrying is just stupid! It can only be a "symbolic" marriage...not real. It would really have no meaning...so what's the point? To tell all of the villains "Hey, don't mess with Catwoman...she's married to Batman!!". Who else would care about the fact that "Bat and Cat" are married? No one except for the villains in their lives.

A reformed Selina Kyle married to a Billionaire socialite wouldn't be looked down upon by anyone (how many stars and socialites/actors/government officials/etc have affairs, sleep wit prostitutes, marry gold diggers, etc??). If Bruce Wayne were a real man and married a former cat burglar it would make tabloids for sure, but in the grand scheme of things, it would die down and wouldn't be a big deal. They would both be celebrities. A fake marriage of Bat and Cat just doesn't make sense and in fact has more reasons for them to hide the fact that they are together than Bruce and Selina have reasons for hiding.

It will be a betrayal to all of us that have been reading King's Batman if they don't.
    Personally, I'd prefer if DC didn't let King have anything to do with the two of them marrying.

(I'm not against them marrying, it's just that I don't want King to have anything to do with such a story.)

So was issue #50. DC/King don't care about that.

I'm fine with "Bruce and Selina" marrying. The idea of "Bat and Cat" marrying is just stupid! It can only be a "symbolic" marriage...not real.
    Very much agree. The frequent "Bat" and "Cat" terms of address make it seem less meaningful and more playacting. Of course, that may be what King is going for. But I don't like that version. Frankly, I think Bruce and Selina have been handled very poorly since N52. Of course, they were also frequently handled poorly before that, too, so...

I've always thought they are best suited to getting involved after Selina is reformed. She's spent stretches as a hero. And I think that's where she needs to be for them have a real relationship, IMO.

It really isn't. He never promised you a marriage. he promised to explore if batman can be happy.
    And the answer is..."no" again. I'm so sick of miserable, mean Bruce.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So was issue #50. DC/King don't care about that.

Very much agree. The frequent "Bat" and "Cat" terms of address make it seem less meaningful and more playacting. Of course, that may be what King is going for. But I don't like that version. Frankly, I think Bruce and Selina have been handled very poorly since N52. Of course, they were also frequently handled poorly before that, too, so...

I've always thought they are best suited to getting involved after Selina is reformed. She's spent stretches as a hero. And I think that's where she needs to be for them have a real relationship, IMO.

And the answer is..."no" again. I'm so sick of miserable, mean Bruce.
    Bruce isn't miserable or mean. In fact, he's downright jolly compared to how he was written say twenty years ago.

It's a long-established trope that Batman has a tough personal life. It's part of the dramatic tension that compels him to dress as a scary flying rodent and punch people. The question King is asking is not "Wouldn't it be fun/right/deserving if Bruce got married?", because that's a lousy story. It's something else entirely.

If you want "fun" Batman with wacky capers and love-life dilemmas, I recommend delving into '60s Batman reprints, up until the O'Neil/Adams run which started in 1971.

Bruce isn't miserable or mean. In fact, he's downright jolly compared to how he was written say twenty years ago.
    I hated him the way he was written 20 years ago. I wanted his entire family to cut ties because he was such a toxic personality. And yes, he is mean. I've seen the way he treats his grown kids when they don't do things his way.

If you want "fun" Batman with wacky capers and love-life dilemmas, I recommend delving into '60s Batman reprints, up until the O'Neil/Adams run which started in 1971.
    I don't want wacky capers. I want a person that doesn't lie to, manipulate, or generally ill-treat his family or the people who used to be his friends (the Justice League). I'm fond of bronze-age Batman, and early-to-middish 90s Batman.

I hated him the way he was written 20 years ago. I wanted his entire family to cut ties because he was such a toxic personality. And yes, he is mean. I've seen the way he treats his grown kids when they don't do things his way.

I don't want wacky capers. I want a person that doesn't lie to, manipulate, or generally ill-treat his family or the people who used to be his friends (the Justice League). I'm fond of bronze-age Batman, and early-to-middish 90s Batman.
    And Batman under Tomasi.

That is fair. We all have our favourite eras and I too have good memories of '80s Batman. In fact, I have a big stack of the entire Gerry Conway run on Batman and Detective sitting beside me right now because I'm sending them in for binding.

I stopped buying Batman, and most other superhero comics, in the '90s because it was just a ridiculous time that caused me to feel the way you seem to feel now. At the risk of sounding trite, maybe just focus on the things that make you happy. It's just superhero comics and "hate" shouldn't be a thing you feel when reading them.