Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I didn’t realize that Knull and Gorr were related, but I’m only on issue two of Cates’ Venom series.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I didn’t realize that Knull and Gorr were related, but I’m only on issue two of Cates’ Venom series.
    They’re not. Very loosely, anyway. Only through the necrosword.

The art is amazing.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    They’re not. Very loosely, anyway. Only through the necrosword.
    Yeah, All-Black the Necrosword, as revealed in issue 4 (I think) of Cates's Venom, was the first symbiote ever created by Knull and forged from Knull's shadow as a god-killing weapon. After Knull somehow lost it in battle with another god, Gorr found it and started using it to kill gods himself, though it could be argued that All-Black was still serving Knull's will all along and simply using Gorr's own rage and hate toward the gods as a means to that end.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Anyone who is saying there are no good Marvel comics is being willfully ignorant at this point.
    Baby Thanos

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Anyone who is saying there are no good Marvel comics is being willfully ignorant at this point.
    Pretty much, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree. They’re really shaping Knull into a huge villain, and it seems to be working
    In a way, to be sure. After all of these years of Celestials, Beyonders, Infinites, Builders, Elders of the Universe, Eternities, and embodiments of the universe, a being who existed since the dawn of the universe has difficulty in standing out. Even though he's connected to Venom, I still need some convincing that this guy is a real threat.

Still, there could be room for exploration here. Yeah, Knull was there at the beginning of the universe. So was Galactus. So how does Knull handle dealing with his herald? Definitely like to see where that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The art is amazing.
    The art was good. It was trippy and edged on "WTF" territory, but it still made sense. The fight scene was cool and there were cool moments (more on that later), but there was something missing there for me to really enjoy it.

As for the issue itself, it was a good reminder of who Silver Surfer is, on a number of levels. The theme of redemption for sins and the being the light in the abyss harken back to the savior-esque quality of the Surfer. Seeing him warp a blackhole, survive visiting a dark planet, and fighting gods by birthing a star showed just how powerful the Surfer can be. Indeed, in the midst of new intergalactic, universal menances this, that, and the other thing that have been popping up in the Marvel Universe over the years, it's reassuring to read about the real OG Marvel cosmic character who has been wielding the Power Cosmic for over 50 yrs.

So yeah, Silver Surfer, I'm rooting for you bro. Show this upstart Knull what a sentinel of the spaceways can really do!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

I guess Knull does have a few things working for him. Cates is using Venom and piggybacking off of Thor to transition him naturally into the larger MU. He isn't just showing up and being dropped into the thick of things. Also, he is being built up over a year and introduced to various characters before really being introduced to the MU proper.

His design isn't great, but it at least tries to pass the silhouette test and fall back on costume designs from the 80s and 90s that worked.

I think the next issue is going to really tell us if he can really work.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of Knull, or the symbiotes in general, but I have to agree that Cates seems to be weaving a pretty decent story across the cosmic books he has to play with.

While I didn't like his Thanos, nor am I a fan of the Cosmic Ghost Rider, I am finally seeing what others told me about Cates in regards his writing being generally very good
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

I heard this was a must read book...
    Copped via comixology.

Amazing Member

Issue #2 is almost here

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I enjoyed the second issue. I hate the stink of Aaron's lineage with the whole All Black Sword thing (Aaron, Bendis, Fraction, a lot of that writer pack just makes my skin itch), but it seems that this isn't just going to be a Greg Pak or Starlin-esque fondling of the villain (Mikaboshi or Red Hulk style for the former; Thanos for the latter, having gone through a Silver Surfer run thinly veiled as a Thanos run with Starlin in the past) at the expense of the featured hero/character. I have to apologize for my cynicism and to Cates as the writer (someone like Starlin would have never had the hero hurt and thwart their ultimate villain character like Cates did here; Warlock excluded as Starlin basically made him his own). I did not like Cates' Thanos miniseries and felt it fondled Thanos too much, so I think a lot of my skepticism and cynicism also came from there, maybe Moore is helping reign some things in, maybe not, but I didn't give the series much of a chance based off of the first issue. I went back and re-read issue #1 after reading #2 and enjoyed it much more this time knowing my fears seem to be unfounded in this just being a series to build up the villain alone. I should have learned after my misgivings with Slott's Surfer series and me coming to really enjoy it. I hope this is the case here as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I enjoyed the second issue. I hate the stink of Aaron's lineage with the whole All Black Sword thing (Aaron, Bendis, Fraction, a lot of that writer pack just makes my skin itch), but it seems that this isn't just going to be a Greg Pak or Starlin-esque fondling of the villain (Mikaboshi or Red Hulk style for the former; Thanos for the latter, having gone through a Silver Surfer run thinly veiled as a Thanos run with Starlin in the past) at the expense of the featured hero/character. I have to apologize for my cynicism and to Cates as the writer (someone like Starlin would have never had the hero hurt and thwart their ultimate villain character like Cates did here; Warlock excluded as Starlin basically made him his own). I did not like Cates' Thanos miniseries and felt it fondled Thanos too much, so I think a lot of my skepticism and cynicism also came from there, maybe Moore is helping reign some things in, maybe not, but I didn't give the series much of a chance based off of the first issue. I went back and re-read issue #1 after reading #2 and enjoyed it much more this time knowing my fears seem to be unfounded in this just being a series to build up the villain alone. I should have learned after my misgivings with Slott's Surfer series and me coming to really enjoy it. I hope this is the case here as well.
    Yeah, showing that Knull has a pretty simple weakness is rsther daring. That being said, we already knew that Knull was weak against light, so it feels like Cates is sticking to his own rules.

Knull also doesn't come across as weak, which is a feat all its own.

Really enjoyed this second issue. I'm digging the fact that Silver Surfer is facing against Knull. Surfer has faced his share of foes. Unless they're really powerful foes though, there was always the sense that he's a bit op for them. He couldn't go all out. Here, though, he's facing Knull and can go all out (And damn, he really went all out against Knull this issue!). Actually, he seems to be in a desperate situation, which is reflected in both his inner monologue and outer battle. Indeed, I like how Surfer is trying to keep his light, his Power Cosmic, against Knull. Interesting contrasts.

Just a quick question spoilers:
    So this encounter is happening in the distant past, right? Surfer time traveled billions of years into the past and faces Knull? That's why the planet Klyntar was against him in the present? I'll have to reread it just to be sure but any help is appreciated
    end of spoilers

In any case, really enjoyed this. Surprised who appeared at the end. There's a history b/w Surfer and this character, and it isn't a good one, right? Looking foward to the next issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Really enjoyed this second issue. I'm digging the fact that Silver Surfer is facing against Knull. Surfer has faced his share of foes. Unless they're really powerful foes though, there was always the sense that he's a bit op for them. He couldn't go all out. Here, though, he's facing Knull and can go all out (And damn, he really went all out against Knull this issue!). Actually, he seems to be in a desperate situation, which is reflected in both his inner monologue and outer battle. Indeed, I like how Surfer is trying to keep his light, his Power Cosmic, against Knull. Interesting contrasts.

Just a quick question spoilers:
    So this encounter is happening in the distant past, right? Surfer time traveled billions of years into the past and faces Knull? That's why the planet Klyntar was against him in the present? I'll have to reread it just to be sure but any help is appreciated
    end of spoilers

In any case, really enjoyed this. Surprised who appeared at the end. There's a history b/w Surfer and this character, and it isn't a good one, right? Looking foward to the next issue.
    That's how I read it. I had to re-read the pages to be sure, but spoilers:
    he is in the past.
    end of spoilers