Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Silver Surfer Black #1 Review—Spoilers

702094A4-D135-4379-9DC4-13BF72F9652A.jpg

We get a brief history on the Silver Surfer, and his history of both a savior and harbinger of death for Galactus. We begin where we last saw the Silver Surfer being sucked into an event horizon away from the other Guardians, where he drifts without direction for what seems like a lifetime. We see him reduced to crumpled up silver flesh, and then heals himself with the power Cosmic. He sees a planet in the void, one that calls out to him, and he creates his board once more to travel there. Once he lands, the planet reeks of death, decay, and metal. A sole building stands, and as he approaches, he is met by a set of metal guardians who attack him violently. They do battle, and he’s forced to call on the power Cosmic to defeat them, but there’s a cost. His hand turns black, obviously alluding to something coming up. The door opens, and he’s drawn in by Knull, from Cates’ Venom run. End scene.

F8FD80C3-5C2C-4B73-AFB2-A4B3B8DB8A2A.jpg

This was beautiful. Cates is hitting all of the right cords for Surfer for me, and I’m drawn in. Moore’s Art is amazing. It’s cartoony, yet not in a bad way. He evokes beauty, power, majesty, and psychedelic emotions through the entire story, and I love him for it.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member

Cates is definitely keen on turning Knull into a real threat and it's working. It's great that he's really focusing on creating an intertwining story with his books.

Mighty Member

Excellent issue. It's the Silver Surfer that I love, the one written by Kirby or Stan Lee. And Cates has made Knull a real threat, we will see in 5 or 10 years but Marvel has maybe an A-list villain in their hands.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Felt chills while I read this. And Tradd Moore's back with that psychedelic, superdetailed art. I loved it.

I almost rioted when I saw Surfer not even blink when he killed an entire planet of dogs!
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I almost rioted when I saw Surfer not even blink when he killed an entire planet of dogs!
    Norrin Radd is a stone cold mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Norrin Radd is a stone cold mother.
    You shut your mouth!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    Tradd just gets me.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Extraordinary Member

Norrin is a fine, fine looking man.

I really loved this issue. I feel like it simultaneously functions as an excellent follow-up to Slott and the Allred's run while also providing characterization of the Surfer more in-line with his traditional portrayal.

Specifically:

-the art was superb; similar somewhat to Allred (especially how Norrin looks) but more psychedelic and abstract, which I enjoy

-Cates' voice for Norrin is probably what most people prefer, but to me it's pretty much Slott's Norrin minus any goofiness

Can't wait for next issue!

-Pav, who wants this team on a Surfer ongoing...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Amazing Member

this comic was awesome, loved it.

wish i would have sprung for the signed copy from midtown.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Excellent issue. It's the Silver Surfer that I love, the one written by Kirby or Stan Lee. And Cates has made Knull a real threat, we will see in 5 or 10 years but Marvel has maybe an A-list villain in their hands.
    I agree. They’re really shaping Knull into a huge villain, and it seems to be working

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

This was a really good issue. I don't read Venom so I'm not really familiar with this Knull villain

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I'd rather nothing came of Aaron's Gorr stories, they started out interesting, but ended so poorly and the continuation of that legacy just leaves me not really caring. Knull just seems like an amalgamation of already existing villains (like Pak's Mikaboshi, who wasn't exactly original when he came about), and the whole Celestial thing (Knull of course being tied to them) has been so played out recently. The Celestials almost never used to appear, but now they are the go to when you need a cosmic story or villain (whether they are the villains or a force opposing them is) or whatnot.

It's nice to see a new Surfer mini, but just my opinion that I'd rather it not have any ties to the Gorr/Knull/Black Sword storyline.