Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    You know?, when this story ends, I can't stop thinking they should do the same thing for the rest of the main Marvel Characters: The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Dr Strange... etc. It would be really funny to see how a world where all those heroes actually get old.
    There probably won't be as much at stake as with Spider-Man. In the case of the Fantastic Four, Reed Richards in 616 is already about 50, Susan Storm is in her 40s, same with Ben Grimm, while Johnny Storm is just a little older than 616 Peter. Dr. Strange is also about 50. So aging them is more about bringing them to their deathbeds than anything. In the case of the Fantastic Four it's about Franklin and Valeria becoming the future leaders of the four, while Reed and Sue play with their grandkids.

In the case of the X-Men, Cyclops is in his 30s, pushing 40. Wolverine is an immortal so with him it's more healing factor: wax on/off. An Old Man Thor is already being touched in Jason Aaron's great run on the character.

The issue of Spider-Man aging always did have more teeth than any other character since it's inherent to the engine of the character. This is a guy who has aged and grown up significantly more than any other contemporary superhero in a running serial superhero story. So it's only natural to speculate what later adventures would be like with this guy.

In the meantime, we should think about what we could expect from the remaining issues:
    - 2000's: The main stories in this decade were "The Other", "Civil War" and "One More Day".
    I'd say the main stories were: Coming Home (with Peter teaching high school, fighting Morlun) which also incidentally happens to be a favorite of Zdarsky's. There's also Back in Black (though I am pretty sure Kingpin is dead), and of course "To Have and to Hold" by Zdarsky's good friend Matt Fraction. I also think one or both of Peter's children will have powers, and maybe that red-head kid will become the Ultimate Spider-Man stand-in. Obviously the tragedy that awaits Peter in his final years would be the death of one (hopefully not both) of his children. And the idea that Peter's story begins and ends with the death of a Ben Parker (first his uncle, and then his son) is well, full circle in a horrible but entirely logical way.

I think the 2000s is gonna have Peter and MJ and others lament America heading into Iraq like they did Vietnam much in the way many boomers went "Did we learn nothing from Vietnam?" when that entire thing happened. The answer is : Nope, no lessons learned.

2010's: We had a lot of interesting stories here. We had "The Grim Hunt", "Spider Island", "Spider-Verse", "Dead No More" and some more. "Spider Island" could give us a reason for Peter to continue as mentor of new "Spider-Heroes", "Spider-Verse" should be left aside because we are focusing in one reality mainly, and "Dead No More" could have some interesting prequels.
    I think Zdarsky will go with Spider-Men, because obviously Miles Morales is the biggest and most important new character in Spider-Man in those two decades.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There probably won't be as much at stake as with Spider-Man. In the case of the Fantastic Four, Reed Richards in 616 is already about 50, Susan Storm is in her 40s, same with Ben Grimm.
    Not that it's ever been told how old Ben was when he met Reed, but Ben and Reed were roommates and best friends in college together.

Astonishing Member

There probably won't be as much at stake as with Spider-Man. In the case of the Fantastic Four, Reed Richards in 616 is already about 50, Susan Storm is in her 40s, same with Ben Grimm, while Johnny Storm is just a little older than 616 Peter. Dr. Strange is also about 50. So aging them is more about bringing them to their deathbeds than anything. In the case of the Fantastic Four it's about Franklin and Valeria becoming the future leaders of the four, while Reed and Sue play with their grandkids.

In the case of the X-Men, Cyclops is in his 30s, pushing 40. Wolverine is an immortal so with him it's more healing factor: wax on/off. An Old Man Thor is already being touched in Jason Aaron's great run on the character.

The issue of Spider-Man aging always did have more teeth than any other character since it's inherent to the engine of the character. This is a guy who has aged and grown up significantly more than any other contemporary superhero in a running serial superhero story. So it's only natural to speculate what later adventures would be like with this guy.
    Those heroes might get old, but there are ways for them to stay alive. It's said that the Fantastic Four's powers are connected because of the Cosmic Rays, so maybe, as long as they stay together, they will stay alive. It is said that in his rock form, the Thing doesn't age. Doctor Strange's role as the Supreme Sorcerer could allow him to age more slowly; think about the Ancient One.

With so many mutants entering and leaving the school, it would be interesting to see different generations of the X-Men.

Certainly, Spider-Man is the most "regular guy" between superheroes, but that doesn't mean other heroes have forgotten their humanity.

I'd say the main stories were: Coming Home (with Peter teaching high school, fighting Morlun) which also incidentally happens to be a favorite of Zdarsky's. There's also Back in Black (though I am pretty sure Kingpin is dead), and of course "To Have and to Hold" by Zdarsky's good friend Matt Fraction. I also think one or both of Peter's children will have powers, and maybe that red-head kid will become the Ultimate Spider-Man stand-in. Obviously the tragedy that awaits Peter in his final years would be the death of one (hopefully not both) of his children. And the idea that Peter's story begins and ends with the death of a Ben Parker (first his uncle, and then his son) is well, full circle in a horrible but entirely logical way.

I think the 2000s is gonna have Peter and MJ and others lament America heading into Iraq like they did Vietnam much in the way many boomers went "Did we learn nothing from Vietnam?" when that entire thing happened. The answer is : Nope, no lessons learned.
    No way, pal. There's no way Peter's kids are going to die. Mary Jane?, as much as I hate to admit it, is quite possible. Maybe in the line of fire of the Civil War, like Aunt May in the main reality.

I think Zdarsky will go with Spider-Men, because obviously Miles Morales is the biggest and most important new character in Spider-Man in those two decades.
    I won't deny the importance of Miles Morales, so it's very possible he will appear here. However, I don't bet on Peter dying... yet. Also, Miles' presence (leaving alternative dimensions aside) could be explained by the whole Spider-Island's arc. Makes me think maybe Miles will even have a relationship with Peter's daughter?

*OH, BOY!!! I just had a freaking idea!! I hope to be wrong, but how about if they cause something similar to "Past Sins" but using Peter's twins here? I hope to be wrong, because I don't want these kids to end up like Gabriel and Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    [/B]

HUGE difference between 50 and 70 (which is how old he’ll be in the 2010s).
    Yeah, he was 48 in 1995, and we know the final issue is set in 2019, when he'll be 72. It'll definitely be time to pass the mantle on at that point. I can see both Miles and Gwen being used. Gwen being the daughter of Ben and "Helen" (clone Gwen).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, he was 48 in 1995, and we know the final issue is set in 2019, when he'll be 72. It'll definitely be time to pass the mantle on at that point. I can see both Miles and Gwen being used. Gwen being the daughter of Ben and "Helen" (clone Gwen).
    She could even be a granddaughter, maybe the daughter of this timeline's Gabe or Sarah (in this case they'd be Ben & Helen's kids), depending on when they were born. Ben (Parker) or Claire could even have kids of their own by the end, so we could see a version of Annie as Spiderling.

I'd rather Peter pass the mantle onto his kids instead of some alt-Spider-Gwen or Miles, just my preference. It'd remind me of Mayday.

Wow! Zdarsky is firing on all cylinders. Another fantastic issue and I can't wait to see what happens next. While there was certainly tragedy in this issue glad to see it end on a positive panel.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Wonder if Ben is going to sell out to Tony?

Also, we haven't seen Kaine. Wonder if he will somehow show up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Miles Warren is dead. Looks like Kaine doesn't exist.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I would say my only critique of "Pete's successor has to be his kids" is the idea that, in this Universe anyway, MJ seems hellbent on keeping her kids from following the path of their father. By the final issue, they'll likely be in their mid-30s so if they haven't already taken up Pete's mantle by then, they'd be a little old to just be getting around to heroics.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I would say my only critique of "Pete's successor has to be his kids" is the idea that, in this Universe anyway, MJ seems hellbent on keeping her kids from following the path of their father. By the final issue, they'll likely be in their mid-30s so if they haven't already taken up Pete's mantle by then, they'd be a little old to just be getting around to heroics.
    That is a question I wonder that they're more likely than not gonna explore in the next issue, if the twins also got Spider powers. They're like 7ish currently, so by next issue's time they'll reach that point most of the other Spidey kids start developing their powers, and we'll have to see how Peter and MJ will react. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spider-Girl-esque scenario where they go against their parents back to become heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Miles Warren is dead. Looks like Kaine doesn't exist.
    Yah, I guess thats ok with the twists they've taken with Ben. Also RIP Mr. Fantastic, pretty sure he's gone now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Another fine issue and an enjoyable read, IMO
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

On the one hand, I think Spider-Man: Life Story #4 is the weakest of the four chapters thus far. That being said, it's still great! Who would've thought Chip Zdarsky could make a Clone Saga that's shorter, less complicated, and which doesn't suck?

Spider-Man: Life Story No. 4: The Clone Saga remixed
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    On the one hand, I think Spider-Man: Life Story #4 is the weakest of the four chapters thus far. That being said, it's still great! Who would've thought Chip Zdarsky could make a Clone Saga that's shorter, less complicated, and which doesn't suck?

Spider-Man: Life Story No. 4: The Clone Saga remixed
    I personally think issue 3 was the weakest, but that's just me (and even with that, issue 3 was still amazing!). The problem is ultimately like you said: the condensing of a full decade into one book. I know the book is already at 30 pages per issue, but I personally think it needed to be bigger to accommodate so many major events. This era alone had at least ten events that weren't touched on (Venom, Carnage/Maximum Carnage, Cosmic Spider-Man, Peter's parents, "I am the Spider", Tombstone, Lobo Gang War, etc.).

All that said, I still stand by what I said in the other thread: this is the best Spider-Man story we've had in years, and one of Marvel's best miniseries that they've produced in a good decade. If this doesn't get nominated for an Eisner, I'm going to be upset.