Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    BANNED

Avengers #236 Oct 1983
    "I Want to be an Avenger!" Part 1 of 2. Guest-starring Spider-Man.
    Upon learning that Avengers earn $1,000 a week, Spider-Man pays a visit to their headquarters and tries to sign up,
    but is sent on his way when a priority alarm sounds. Seeing the team's quinjet rocketing off on a mission,

the web-spinner stows away and thus joins Captain America, Starfox,
    and the She-Hulk as they investigate a disturbance at Project Pegasus.

On arrival, the heroes are briefed by the project's new security chief, the Guardsman,
    who tells them how an attempt to sink a magma tap resulted in an attack by the subterranean Lava Men.

Cap sends for reinforcements, and the Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel swiftly arrive.
    Fortunately, the Lava Men mistake Captain Marvel for a revered figure
    of legend, the Lady-of-Light, and she is easily able to arrange a truce.
    Unfortunately, four of the superhuman criminals imprisoned at the project have taken
    advantage of the confusion to escape their cells and now plan to seize its nuclear research dome.

Cameo appearances by Blackout, Electro, Moonstone and the Rhino.
    Avengers Lineup: Captain America, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Starfox and the Wasp.

Script by Roger Stern. Art by Al Milgrom (breakdowns) and Joe Sinnott (finishes).

Eros (Starfox) will hopefully be featured in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy title, I know that he isn't on the core roster. I would love to see Starfox featured with the Starjammers.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Perhaps his powers could be expanded into full emotion control rather than just pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Perhaps his powers could be expanded into full emotion control rather than just pleasure.
    That's what I thought his powers were when I first was introduced to him. Then I quickly realized that wasn't the case.

Honestly, I think it would work a lot better if he had the full emotion control. Being a true Empath would make him seem a lot less creepy to the general public for sure. However, the only thing is the MCU pretty much gave that ability to Mantis which may knock Starfox out of that slot. Unfortunately outside of writer who is a fan of him really want to put in the work for the character, Marvel seemly has little motivation to take interest in him if he is not going to appear in a movie.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

The next chapter of Starlin's latest cosmic trilogy--THANOS: THE INFINITY CONFLICT--came out today...so its time for my loooong overdue comments on THE INFINITY SIBLINGS! Apologies, fellow Eros fans, for not making time to do this before now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Okay. I have to say I'm not quite sure how I feel about Starlin revealing Eros to be, at the very least, a borderline sociopath, incapable of forming emotional bonds and who always needs someone else, at first his father, Mentor (deceased in Avengers Rage of Ultron), and then the Avengers themselves, to serve as his moral compass.
    Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with that either....but the nice thing is that there is some wiggle room for that not to be definitive. For one thing, it is debatable to what extent Starlin's current stories are a part of official continuity--he has said himself in interviews that he is treating them as his own separate "Starlin-verse" rather than worry about trying to make everything he is doing with Thanos line-up with what is being done with Thanos in other books by other writers. So even if a version of these events is considered canon for the 616-MU, not necessarily all of the details are--which means "Eros is a sociopath" can be dismissed as an alternate version.

Plus this story has a lot of time travel, and different versions of Eros depending on what time period we are in--so some of this perspective on Eros' nature could be getting provided by the future version of Eros, whose personality may have been shaped into darker paths by the experiences he's been through and that is colouring his account of his own nature.

I respect Starlin's perspective as the original creator of the character, but after so long of barely doing anything to develop Eros while he focused on his two favourites (Thanos and Adam Warlock), its a little late in the game for him to redefine key aspects of Eros' character in such a significant way. I'm fine with him introducing a bit of a dark streak into Eros--but I think Roger Stern's portrayal will always be considered the defining one for Eros, and it showed an Eros that DID form emotional attachments (such as to Mar-Vell) and who did take a sense of personal responsibility (such as how serious he became about stopping Nebula once he heard her claim of being his family).

I did like how 'Fox was shown as an almost as eficient schemer as his brother Thanos,
    Yes! It was great to see some of what Eros is capable of when he puts his mind to it. He's the son the ruler of the Titans, and the brother to one of the most notorious schemers in the universe--this is sort of thing is in his blood!

but I think that, even in ths book, Eros establishes enough emotional connections to be ruled out as a sociopath. His father and the sense of loss he feels to begin with. Plus, what about the many friendships that have shaped Eros' life in the past, begining with his bond with Mar-Vell? I'm gonna go with it's was just a bout of insecurity on Eros' part, and leave it at that.
    Agreed!

He dodn't show much of his physical prowess, which was a shame, but I do hope he'll show that he also has that in similar with Thanos on later appearences.
    Well, one could argue we got a glimpse of his physical prowess when he woke up with 5 other people in his bed! But yes, apart from him surviving nearly being eaten by that dinosaur-like creature and punching his way free, we didn't really see much of Eros the warrior here. But there's still two more chapters to go....

[QUPTE= That Cool Guy]I know Titan is destroyed, but was it Thanos who did it, or Ultron in 'Rage of Ultron'? [/QUOTE]

Both. Thanos attacked Titan many years ago, destroying most of the colony and slaughtering many of the Titans. Ultron also wrecked the place far more recently in RAGE OF ULTRON.

A few more thoughts on THE INFINITY SIBLINGS....

It was great to see Starfox being used again and in such a prominent role - it has been a long time since anyone has really given him a spotlight like this.

I did notice that when Eros' narration was talking about his past lovers, it did so in gender neutral terms....which fits nicely with the implication of Eros' being bisexual in Lemire's THANOS #1.

On a similar note, one of Eros' sleeping bed partners had a distinctly more masculine body shape than the other women shown in the bed. This person's short hair was bright pink, as was the facial markings and lips--which implies female at first glance. But the rest of the visible body shape is definitely more male-looking than that of the other 4 women. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Also under the heading of "was that intentional"--the shape of the doorways from Eros' bedchamber are quite phallic. lol

Alan Davis did his usual beautiful job, and did some very nice work with Starfox--both in his classic outfit, and in designing a number of new looks for the older Eros. And for those so inclined, also several pages of Eros in the nude. I liked some of the new outfits Davis came up with for Eros--something new to liven up his classic look, but still immediately recognizable as Eros (unlike ChrisCross' new design from Peter David's CAPTAIN MARVEL series).

Despite my concerns over the whole 'sociopath' thing, I really enjoyed this graphic novel a lot--and I am very much looking forward to reading chapter 2 of the trilogy in the next few days!

If he returns to the comics, I hope that the retro-implication that he's some kind of sexual-assault perpetrator can be ignored... let him be a hero..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    If he returns to the comics, I hope that the retro-implication that he's some kind of sexual-assault perpetrator can be ignored... let him be a hero..
    *sigh* It doesn't need to be ignored because the very storyline that raised the issue also established that he is NOT a rapist. But for some reason people never want to remember how that storyline ended--they only remember how it started.

Eros was the victim of mental tampering from Thanos, which implanted a false memory in his mind that made him appear guilty. This process also caused brain damage which affected Eros' control of his powers (he was zapping people accidentally). This was not a retcon from a later story -- it was all part of the same story arc (SHE-HULK #6 started the arc, and SHE-HULK #12 concluded the arc and showed what was done to Eros by Thanos).

Astonishing Member

Sorry, Hypestyle--that frustration was NOT directed at you. I've just seen too many posts, and articles, etc, about Eros that either imply he is a rapist, or falsely claim it was established, etc. There was even one at CBR a while back that acknowledged he was proved to be innocent--but said they still don't trust him anyway. So my frustration is at that larger misconception that refuses to go away despite a storyline that made a point of proving it wasn't true.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Sorry, Hypestyle--that frustration was NOT directed at you. I've just seen too many posts, and articles, etc, about Eros that either imply he is a rapist, or falsely claim it was established, etc. There was even one at CBR a while back that acknowledged he was proved to be innocent--but said they still don't trust him anyway. So my frustration is at that larger misconception that refuses to go away despite a storyline that made a point of proving it wasn't true.
    The problem, IMO, isn't that Dan Slott's story was designed to prove that he wasn't.

Rather, the storyline was mean to lean into the crappy meme, to play it up. And when it came time for a resolution, they largely sidestepped the issue. Not in blaming Thanos, but in removing his ability, giving the whole 'Eros is a creepy rapist' more legitimacy than if we'd never had the story to begin with.

Astonishing Member

I don't think that was the intent though. I think that Dan's intent in removing the power was to distance Eros from that reputation/suspicion. Without the pleasure power, Eros' womanizing nature doesn't give anyone that same 'creepy' vibe--he'd fall into the same category as Hercules, Tony Stark, Johnny Storm, etc. Since some people just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that just because he could misuse the power doesn't mean that he does misuse it, I think Dan was just trying remove the problematic element.

And by having it be Eros' own choice to sacrifice the power--as a matter of principle because he did not want anyone's mind violated like his was--shows his moral integrity and demonstrated that he was NOT the type of person to misuse the power.

The intent was good. The actual message that it said about the character himself was good. But unfortunately I have to agree that it did have the unfortunate consequence of making the problem worse in some regards by putting the spotlight on his 'creepy' reputation and a lot of people who didn't actually read the story for themselves just came away from it with a false impression.

As for the removing of Eros' pleasure power--I didn't agree with that either. I do think Dan was well-intentioned in removing it, but by taking it away you also take away the one main unique thing in Eros' power set and leave him with generic 'strong guy who flies'. And I think there is a lot of value in the idea of a hero who has a power that can help solve problems in a non-violent manner, with pleasure and love. I think the readers need to be reminded more about THAT use of his power, rather than the ugly mistaken assumptions for how he is using it badly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't think that was the intent though. I think that Dan's intent in removing the power was to distance Eros from that reputation/suspicion. Without the pleasure power, Eros' womanizing nature doesn't give anyone that same 'creepy' vibe--he'd fall into the same category as Hercules, Tony Stark, Johnny Storm, etc. Since some people just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that just because he could misuse the power doesn't mean that he does misuse it, I think Dan was just trying remove the problematic element.

And by having it be Eros' own choice to sacrifice the power--as a matter of principle because he did not want anyone's mind violated like his was--shows his moral integrity and demonstrated that he was NOT the type of person to misuse the power.

The intent was good. The actual message that it said about the character himself was good. But unfortunately I have to agree that it did have the unfortunate consequence of making the problem worse in some regards by putting the spotlight on his 'creepy' reputation and a lot of people who didn't actually read the story for themselves just came away from it with a false impression.

As for the removing of Eros' pleasure power--I didn't agree with that either. I do think Dan was well-intentioned in removing it, but by taking it away you also take away the one main unique thing in Eros' power set and leave him with generic 'strong guy who flies'. And I think there is a lot of value in the idea of a hero who has a power that can help solve problems in a non-violent manner, with pleasure and love. I think the readers need to be reminded more about THAT use of his power, rather than the ugly mistaken assumptions for how he is using it badly.

Agree to disagree. I feel that Dan Slott's MO is to lean into nerd outrage, to provoke and then pull a rear covering swerve. A 'Nick Spencer' move, if you will

BANNED

Avengers #237 Nov 1983
    "Meltdowns and Mayhem" Part 2 of 2. Guest-starring Spider-Man!
    Having convinced the Lava Men that their battle was the result of a misunderstanding and having seen
    the subterraneans on their way home, the Avengers offer Spider-Man a position as a member-in-training.

Immediately, another emergency threatens, as the four escapees,
    Moonstone, Blackout, Electro and the Rhino take over the nuclear research facility.
    Blackout erects a wall of ebony force which proves impenetrable, until the Scarlet Witch's hex power destroys it.
    Then, while the Avengers and Spider-Man battle the other three villains,

Moonstone sets the reactor core to destruct. Moonstone and Blackout manage to escape.
    Spider-Man's scientific knowledge and Captain Marvel's energy powers combine to shut down the reactor just in time.
    Back at the mansion, Spider-Man is having second thoughts about his prospective membership

when the government, citing him as a major security risk, forbids the Avengers to enlist him.

Script by Roger Stern. Pencils by Al Milgrom. Inks by Joe Sinnott.

BANNED

Avengers #238 Dec 1983
    "Unlimited Vision!"
    Although still immobile, the Vision regains consciousness and the ability to speak.

In an effort to further this recovery, Starfox establishes communication between the android and Titan's world-controlling computer, ISAAC.
    Unexpectedly, this results in the Vision's systems integrating with both ISAAC and the Avengers' own network.

This also gives him the ability to project and interact through a wide-reaching holographic simulation.

Seeking refuge in a South Bronx safehouse of her former Masters of Evil ally, Egghead,
    Moonstone plots to control the unguessed powers of her new partner, the paranoid psychotic Blackout.
    Utilizing his newly enhanced resources, the Vision shortly deduces their hideout's location.
    Abruptly manifesting his projection-form into the villains' living room, Vision
    serves as an advance distraction while his teammates physically raid the domicile.
    Moonstone attempts to have Blackout destroy the heroes with his mysterious Darkforce powers.
    Instead, the paranoid villain accidentally imprisons himself and her, drawing them into the Darkforce's home dimension in a fit of desperate irrationality.

Returning to their mansion, the Avengers continue adjusting to the Vision's new powers
    and uncharacteristically egotistical attitude when an emergency call comes in from Tigra.
    She is in a San Francisco hospital room, looking over her friend, Jessica Drew.
    Ominously, the spectral form of Drew's alter ego, Spider-Woman, also visibly hangs above her comatose body...
    Origin on Blackout. Cameo appearances by Jessica Drew and Tigra.
    Avengers Lineup: Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Starfox, Vision, and the Wasp.
    NOTE: Blackout and Moonstone return in Dazzler 32

Script by Roger Stern. Pencils by Al Milgrom. Inks by Joe Sinnott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    I like Starfox a lot too, although I think I grew to like him more as I realized he was Thanos's brother. My first experience with him was John Buscema's Avengers #250-260ish (SW2 tie-in) where he meets Nebula (niece?) and team-ups with Firelord. Whatever happened to that buddy-story?
    In that issue the comicbook character Nebula reveals that she is the comicbook character Thanos' grand-daughter.
    In Nova #1 from 1999, Nebula's father is revealed to be the comicbook character Zorr.

I do not know of any marvel comics that reveal if the comicbook character Starfox learns this by himself after he left the Avengers with Firelord IMO these two really do make for a great buddy-story.
    Perhaps Roger Awesome Stern would have the comicbook characters Starfox and Firelord pop up in the pages of Avengers again if he hadn't been fired by Mark Gruenwald after 5 years of writing the series

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    In that issue the comicbook character Nebula reveals that she is the comicbook character Thanos' grand-daughter.
    In Nova #1 from 1999, Nebula's father is revealed to be the comicbook character Zorr.

I do not know of any marvel comics that reveal if the comicbook character Starfox learns this by himself after he left the Avengers with Firelord IMO these two really do make for a great buddy-story.
    Perhaps Roger Awesome Stern would have the comicbook characters Starfox and Firelord pop up in the pages of Avengers again if he hadn't been fired by Mark Gruenwald after 5 years of writing the series
    I might be mistaken, but I think Nebula claimed to be Thanos GRAND-daughter, which would make Zorr Thanos' son.

Peace