Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Hey! I found this on DA. It’s heartening to see some Starfox lurv on there. Its a pretty cool redesign!

Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Hey! I found this on DA. It’s heartening to see some Starfox lurv on there. Its a pretty cool redesign!

Yes, it's a nice redesign, he really needs a new costume

BANNED

Love that design. Starfox has always been a character I wanted to like but never quite got there. I do think his powerset is pretty interesting though. Hopefully, in the near future the character will make a turn around in popularity. He may even show up in a future film.....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaTigeReptile View Post
    Right, except without the Nebula storyline, or the Vision takes over the Earth storyline? You know, the two that were recently released as TPBs?
    I recently ordered those trades, and I have enjoyed them.

For me, part of the charm of Eros is that he does not allow the actions of his brother to dictate how he acts.

Quivering Euphoric Blob CaTigeReptile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Anyone going to get this figure? Exclusive Thanos family set from SDCC
    I was at SDCC. I got it. (That's where I cosplayed as him - I posted it in the Photos thread on the general board.)

It seems to be a slippery slope with pleasure stimulation based characters. I remember Longshot getting similar reactions later and to a lesser extent Gambit as well. But not really Stacy X, though, she got flack for being a prostitute. I wonder if gender does play a role in how such powers are received by readers.
    See above. I wrote about this a little earlier in the thread in a big rant. Gender 500% plays a role, and it has to do with how women are viewed as "victims" of sex in a huge way in our culture, and in a lot of ways are viewed as not actually wanting sex. Such female characters - Stacy X, Emma Frost, Amora - are viewed as sexual fantasies because of that power: it's assumed that men would love to be supernaturally "seduced" by these hot babes because men are just always in control of sex anyway. In fact, it's in the language itself - these women are "seductresses." That's totally sexy, right? There's no male equivalent word except something like "creep" or "predator."

It's one of the main reasons I kind of love that Starfox has this power (even if it's technically not a seduction power): he's a hot babe with the superhuman power to pleasure you. How is this supposed to be creepy again?

He's not from Earth. It's highly unlikely that all other cultures in the universe view sex and gender the way we do in that male-aggressor, female-passive binary that our cultures generally do. He most certainly has experience being castigated for his promiscuity as women are here ("sluts"). He's probably got bounty hunters constantly after him because of the price he'd fetch if sold into slavery. People probably try to coerce him to use his powers on them all the time (I imagine he just makes them pass out). People could try to assault him and then say they were compelled to do it by his powers in some cosmic equivalent to "she was asking for it."

I'm not saying these should necessarily be parts of his storyline, but I'm just saying that they're issues usually not considered when talking about men - even ancient alien universe-travelling men.

Recommendations anyone? I have only read Sterns run and Infinity Gauntlet and War - thats the extent of my exposure to the character, can anyone tell me what other stories he's been in? Or point me to an appearance list?
    There's an appearance list on Comic Vine. There's also a better one that's text-only and is actually for, like, every character imaginable, but I can't be bothered to find it right now, sorry, lol. As for recommendations: Doug Moench's run on Captain Marvel v1 (the last few issues), Death of Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer Annual #5, maybe Operation: Galactic Storm . . . definitely Avengers: Infinity, and his appearance in Avengers: Celestial Quest issue #4 is not long but it's one of my favorites. He only has like 150 notable appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I recently ordered those trades, and I have enjoyed them.

For me, part of the charm of Eros is that he does not allow the actions of his brother to dictate how he acts.
    Exactly! And that's gotta be hard when your brother is a cruel, sadistic, villainous, godly-powerful, genocidal maniac. He's remarkably well-adjusted . . . or just so insane that he's delusional! Makes me wonder if he's at all involved in Starlin's new Infinity: Revelation. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.
    Last edited by CaTigeReptile; 08-05-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Yes, it's a nice redesign, he really needs a new costume
    I'd love to see a new costume.

See above. I wrote about this a little earlier in the thread in a big rant. Gender 500% plays a role, and it has to do with how women are viewed as "victims" of sex in a huge way in our culture, and in a lot of ways are viewed as not actually wanting sex. Such female characters - Stacy X, Emma Frost, Amora - are viewed as sexual fantasies because of that power: it's assumed that men would love to be supernaturally "seduced" by these hot babes because men are just always in control of sex anyway. In fact, it's in the language itself - these women are "seductresses." That's totally sexy, right? There's no male equivalent word except something like "creep" or "predator."

It's one of the main reasons I kind of love that Starfox has this power (even if it's technically not a seduction power): he's a hot babe with the superhuman power to pleasure you. How is this supposed to be creepy again?
    That would explain why Stacy X was going to be really a virgin and not a prostitute by Casey? I wonder if that was the original plan or him trying to appease fan backlash. I remember the rage on these forums about Stacy X back in the day. She can still be seductive but at the end of the day she really didnt have the power or the experience to be threatening. That's why I think for many on here, the supposed crusaders for women are actually men (and women) who are uncomfortable with the idea that women can be just as threatening and its actually based in sexism and it going against the needs to be in control or put women (and men) in neat packages. I see this sort of crusading all over CBR and its less about women's rights for some and more about seeing their fave female doing it with another character - sometimes you catch these so called champions slut shaming less favored female characters and trashing on male character in the most oldschool way along the lines of "men cant be raped" and such as you said. Real men dont get raped and real women dont have one night stands is, or women cant be threatening sexually are both rooted in sexism, so i agree. And the other I tink is more about trolling from some fans and not about any moral outrage, sadly.

There's an appearance list on Comic Vine. There's also a better one that's text-only and is actually for, like, every character imaginable, but I can't be bothered to find it right now, sorry, lol. As for recommendations: Doug Moench's run on Captain Marvel v1 (the last few issues), Death of Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer Annual #5, maybe Operation: Galactic Storm . . . definitely Avengers: Infinity, and his appearance in Avengers: Celestial Quest issue #4 is not long but it's one of my favorites. He only has like 150 notable appearances.
    Thank you! I will have to check these out! :-D
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-05-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Found these awesome pics! I love the Jim Starlin one! But then I' m a Starlin fan so I may be biased.

That would explain why Stacy X was going to be really a virgin and not a prostitute by Casey? I wonder if that was the original plan or him trying to appease fan backlash. I remember the rage on these forums about Stacy X back in the day. She can still be seductive but at the end of the day she really didnt have the power or the experience to be threatening. That's why I think for many on here, the supposed crusaders for women are actually men (and women) who are uncomfortable with the idea that women can be just as threatening and its actually based in sexism and it going against the needs to be in control or put women (and men) in neat packages. I see this sort of crusading all over CBR and its less about women's rights for some and more about seeing their fave female doing it with another character - sometimes you catch these so called champions slut shaming less favored female characters and trashing on male character in the most oldschool way along the lines of "men cant be raped" and such as you said. Real men dont get raped and real women dont have one night stands is, or women cant be threatening sexually are both rooted in sexism, so i agree. And the other I tink is more about trolling from some fans and not about any moral outrage, sadly.
    I agree with your points. I'm kind of tired of men telling women we're supposed to be afraid of them when it comes down to it. I feel like the men you describe above are the kind who view their penises as weapons, basically, and sex as some form of conquest - where like if they have sex with a woman, he's won something and she's lost something (whether it be her purity or dignity or whatever). That somehow sex is naturally humiliating or degrading for women. And it all links back to homophobia and stuff, too - "gay panic" - that violent response some men get when they're hit on by another man (i.e. treated or viewed the same way that they treat/view women). I mean, how messed up is that? Starfox would totally disapprove 'cause that certainly doesn't sound like much fun for everyone involved.

For some reason most conversations I have about Starfox end up being about gender issues in some way or another. No regrets!

THE FABULOUSNESS HAS REACHED CRITICAL LEVELS

Also I hope they standardize that damn logo on his chest at some point. What is it, even? I've always assumed it was supposed to be a fox and that the name Starfox was planned way back in the '70s too, but that's a stretch. Is it supposed to be his head? Because that's just kind of weird. The family emblem or something?

I agree with your points. I'm kind of tired of men telling women we're supposed to be afraid of them when it comes down to it. I feel like the men you describe above are the kind who view their penises as weapons, basically, and sex as some form of conquest - where like if they have sex with a woman, he's won something and she's lost something (whether it be her purity or dignity or whatever). That somehow sex is naturally humiliating or degrading for women. And it all links back to homophobia and stuff, too - "gay panic" - that violent response some men get when they're hit on by another man (i.e. treated or viewed the same way that they treat/view women). I mean, how messed up is that? Starfox would totally disapprove 'cause that certainly doesn't sound like much fun for everyone involved.

For some reason most conversations I have about Starfox end up being about gender issues in some way or another. No regrets!
    Yes, it is be linked to homophobia too in some cases. Hell, I dont even mind that power fantasy/kink because many people have them - men, women, gay straight - the deflowering aspect. I just hate when its expected to be the norm when it comes to men/women relations and the level of misogyny that comes with it.

THE FABULOUSNESS HAS REACHED CRITICAL LEVELS
    Yes! He really needs to do more Starfox art!
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-05-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

I won't deny that he's pretty sexy there, but I've always seen Eros as a bit more of the always-groomed, not a hair out of place kinda real pretty type, like a young Alain Delon, maybe? Or Prince. He is glamour-pants, after all.
    I agree that Eros tends to be the carefully groomed pretty boy type...but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't have a bit of scruff. Just in his case, it would be a controlled scruff, going for a particular look.

Originally Posted by Hekabolos
    "I'm sure this is adorable and whatever but...dat ass tho"

Can't argue.
    Indeed!
    You've already included what is probably the best Starfox butt shot to date (that one from MARVEL TEAM-UP), but here's one more for the gallery.
    starfoxbutt2.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Indeed!
    You've already included what is probably the best Starfox butt shot to date (that one from MARVEL TEAM-UP), but here's one more for the gallery.
    starfoxbutt2.jpg
    Is it me or are his buns almost smiling at us?

Is it me or are his buns almost smiling at us?
    I think that's just you.

But getting into this territory reminds me of that "slice of life" scene in one of Stern's Avengers issues where Eros and Steve decide to relax a little bit and so Eros is just like "OK I'M STRIPPING NOW" as Monica comes in like "what is wrong with you people"

I don't have the full panels but

I just love how pleased with himself he looks. I just love how weird Eros is and how he just doesn't caaaaaaare. I finally saw GotG and it seems even more to me now like yes they want to put him into the MCU because he would fit in very well with the mood of that movie.
    Last edited by CaTigeReptile; 08-06-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

I want to give Eros some credit here and say that timeline-wise he's never really been out adventuring while Thanos has been alive. At least when there's actual trouble afoot, he is shown to get serious, so canonically speaking it shocks me he hasn't been around for any of the Thanos events.
    Well, up until INFINITY last year, Thanos was either dead or presumed dead for quite a while...and during some of the periods where he was not dead, he was actually making some effort to reform and make amends for his previous life (as seen in the short-lived THANOS series). So there was a period for a while there where Eros was more or less off the hook for Thanos watch.

It IS a bit surprising that he didn't turn up in INFINITY though...but maybe he had been decoyed elsewhere (much like the Avengers were off-planet, dealing with the Builders).

All I have to say is this

LOL! Nice one. Where is that image from? It looks like it should be from the Stern AVENGERS run, but I don't immediately recognize it. Was it during the mission to the Savage Land to fight Terminus?

With Starfox, it only makes sense to assume that if there's a chance that it happened, then it totally happened. Firelord is a candidate, too, or at least Eros tried, based on how many times Eros asks him about his sex drive when they were traveling together. Miguel, of course; Tigra is highly likely - and let's not forget Triton.
    Agreed about Tigra, Miguel and Herc. I don't think Triton though...I think that was just a battlefield incident, as opposed to the beginning of something more.

(Homo)sexual innuendo is part of what makes Eros so spectacular and is probably the real reason why we love him

And there's so much more . . .
    And the first panel of that scene had Eros telling Cap to "watch your backside!"...so we know where Starfox's attention was directed!
    Last edited by Dermie; 08-06-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: stupid typo

LOL! Nice one. Where is that image from? It looks like it should be from the Stern AVENGERS run, but I don't immediately recognize it. Was it during the mission to the Savage Land to fight Terminus?
    Captain America #301. It's during the storyline where Cap gets aged.

Agreed about Tigra, Miguel and Herc. I don't think Triton though...I think that was just a battlefield incident, as opposed to the beginning of something more.
    Oh come on! They were totally flirting the whole time, from first meeting to last goodbye. It was great. If it weren't for heroic adventure getting in the way . . .

Also, from that same Avengers Annual #12:

Even Lockjaw can appreciate Eros's butt.

And the first panel of that scene had Eros telling Cap to "watch your backside!"...so we know where Starfox's attention was directed!
    That entire scene is just so incredibly homoerotic it's spectacular. I mean . . .

I should probably just post the whole thing. It's like three pages of man-on-man action.

When my mom read through Avengers issues, she became a big fan of Starfox and Cap exactly for scenes like this. She considered (and still considers) them to be quite the eye candy.