Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I just caught up on the most recent issue of Doomsday Clock yesterday and when that's all said and done, it'll be interesting to see which continuity, if any, we end up with.

I think reestablishing a more classic take on Earth 2 would be the best for having Wonder Woman as a member of the JSA, as well as having the Infinitors be the most relevant again.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since I'm assuming we're talking about the comic book version, I don't give a #### what is or isn't a part of the movie version.

Having Hippolyta as the "Golden Age" Wonder Woman (via time travel) was strange but interesting solution back in the late 1990s, but really wouldn't make much sense now unless they go back and restore all the Byrne continuity. (And really, do you want DC to AGAIN majorly screw around with what is and isn't "canon" for Wonder Woman's backstory?)
    OR.. why does it need time travel? Hippolyta is the same woman who fought Hercules isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    OR.. why does it need time travel? Hippolyta is the same woman who fought Hercules isn't she?
    Well, so far it hasn't been revealed that Hippolyta previously ever left Themyscira and had adventures in the United States, which would sort of lessen Diana's decision to do so at a later date in time.

And if Hippolyta was "Wonder Woman" during WWII, that means Diana is not the first one have that mantle.

Basically, it would knock Diana down to a legacy character following in her mother's footsteps, sort of like a second-generation hero, which isn't really what Diana has been before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I just caught up on the most recent issue of Doomsday Clock yesterday and when that's all said and done, it'll be interesting to see which continuity, if any, we end up with.
    It will be a hot mess (as it always was before).

Astonishing Member

Well, so far it hasn't been revealed that Hippolyta previously ever left Themyscira and had adventures in the United States, which would sort of lessen Diana's decision to do so at a later date in time.

And if Hippolyta was "Wonder Woman" during WWII, that means Diana is not the first one have that mantle.

Basically, it would knock Diana down to a legacy character following in her mother's footsteps, sort of like a second-generation hero, which isn't really what Diana has been before.
    Why would she be Wonder Woman?

She could just be Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons.

I sure some newsreels would call her a 'wonder woman' but I see no reason why she would call herself that.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

I sure some newsreels would call her a 'wonder woman' but I see no reason why she would call herself that.
    It would still lessen the decision Diana made to leave the island to return Steve Trevor to the society he came from if her mommy had already done something like that back in the 1940s.

It would still lessen the decision Diana made to leave the island to return Steve Trevor to the society he came from if her mommy had already done something like that back in the 1940s.
    Maybe you could set it up as part of WHY Hippolyta is so hesitant to let Diana leave?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Maybe you could set it up as part of WHY Hippolyta is so hesitant to let Diana leave?
    Still would mean Diana wasn't THE FIRST to do it.

It's just an unnecessary move to make her the second one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

Imagine if it was revealed that Jor-El came to earth years before Krypton exploded and operated as Superman for a while before returning to Krypton and then sending Kal-El to be the 'second' Superman.

Or if it was revealed that Thomas Wayne fought crime as Batman years before he and Martha were murdered and Bruce was inspired to become the 'second' Batman.

Its basically the same situation.

The time-travel explanation is a good workaround because, in a sequential sense at least, Diana is still 'the first'.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    . . . Or if it was revealed that Thomas Wayne fought crime as Batman years before he and Martha were murdered and Bruce was inspired to become the 'second' Batman.
    Uh, about Thomas Wayne being the first Batman . . . he sort of already was.

from Detective Comics #235 (September 1956)

Astonishing Member

Uh, about Thomas Wayne being the first Batman . . . he sort of already was.

from Detective Comics #235 (September 1956)
    LOL!

Yeah, I was thinking about this very story when I wrote my post.

The point is that here Thomas Wayne being 'Batman' was a one-time incident that only served to inspire Bruce in this particular continuity when the time came for him to develop his crime-fighting alter ego.

Now, if Thomas Wayne decided to fight crime as Batman on a regular basis, operating out of the Batcave, and was even allied to a rookie Jim Gordon - now that would put a very different complexion on the Batman mythos.

Fantastic Member

Why not Antiope be in the JSA...she was kind of the first amazon that left PI in one version...she's also at par with Hippolyta as a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Why not Antiope be in the JSA...she was kind of the first amazon that left PI in one version...she's also at par with Hippolyta as a warrior.
    Because if you're having an Amazon who left Themyscira and operated as a superhero in the U.S. previous to Diana leaving the island, you're basically reducing Diana's status when she's no longer the first Amazon to do so.
    Diana becomes a pseudo-Donna Troy, and then Donna Troy becomes...

Diana should be the one setting the mark, not reduced to becoming a legacy-wannabe.

Fantastic Member

Hardly, WW's powers are vastly superior to her sisters, for one.

Because if you're having an Amazon who left Themyscira and operated as a superhero in the U.S. previous to Diana leaving the island, you're basically reducing Diana's status when she's no longer the first Amazon to do so.
    Diana becomes a pseudo-Donna Troy, and then Donna Troy becomes...

Diana should be the one setting the mark, not reduced to becoming a legacy-wannabe.
    Agreed. It's retroactively reducing Diana in an effort to make another wannabe cool. Dislike!