View Poll Results: Rate issue 72.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bad. 1 stars

    3 20.00%
  • mediocre. 2 stars.

    6 40.00%
  • Good. 3 stars.

    3 20.00%
  • Very good. 4 stars.

    1 6.67%
  • Excellent. 5 stars.

    2 13.33%
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default WW issue 72 rate.

    Another underwhelming issue for me. Diana unable to beat a villain who was defeated by a flash of lightening from a random sword. And not only that. Diana was running away from the battle, while the new character maggie decided to stay and fight. Seems like ms gww has forgotten that Diana is a superhero and a powerhouse once again.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,928

    Default

    Well, this was a dungeon crawl, but some important stuff happens anyway. I really like Diana's opening philosophical monologue to the opening action.

    Perhaps the most important event is that our questing trio changes. Aphrodite has no interest in Diana now that she has found Atlantiades, instead it is Atlantiades who jumps into the shrinking portal and disintegrating world that Diana and Maggie have found themselves in. Wilson clearly shows her understanding that the Greek gods are fickle and have little concern about mankind.

    One of us must walk toward danger, instead of away from it, mother. Anything less is unworthy of a god of love.
    Of course, Atlantiades leaves their own mess in Summergrove for Aphrodite to handle…

    I'm not sure I like how Diana massacres the fishman zombies (or whatever they are), or really how that situation is set up in the first place. But at least they have a rather clear guide to follow now with the sword acting as a beacon.

    Art-wise, this is another issue with two artists: Merino and Derenick. Merino in the first half and Derenick in the second. Merino does an OK job, but there is nothing spectacular about it, and the facial expressions tends to look too one-note and stiff. Derenick feels like another step down. The action doesn't flow to me and the faces too often look like caricatures. But my main trouble is that Atlantiades is drawn too much like a woman, instead of the much more androgynous figure that Xermanico designed. Merino manages to follow that well, Derenick not at all.

    And landing dramatically on the ground like Diana and Atlantiades does must be murder on the knees.

    A word on the cover. I have really liked most of the covers that the Dodson's have made for Wonder Woman, but this one feels like a step back. Diana looks less buff than she usually does, and her shield looks more like a trash can lid than a shield. Maggie's posing is really awkward. And Aphrodite is the third member of the group, despite her playing little role in the story, just like Steve Trevor appeared #69 and #71. I know this has been a hectic time for the editorial team, and that covers needs to be made much in advance, but I wonder how the planning of the issues go. It is rather clear that Wilson has been extremely busy—joining a bi-weekly series on short notice, a book launch with tour, a medical emergency, and her own monthly series on Dark Horse—which might have had an impact here.
    Last edited by kjn; 06-13-2019 at 03:03 AM. Reason: typo
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  3. #3
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York City/San Francisco/Singapore
    Posts
    202

    Default

    This issue was mediocre for me, despite it having so much action.

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wilson clearly shows her understanding that the Greek gods are fickle and have little concern about mankind.
    Yeah, the classic gods are fickle but let's not forget that Aphrodite is one of Diana's patrons. Still, I can roll with this change up because Aphrodite-the-mother trumps Aphrodite-the-patron. Her child's welfare is priority.

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure I like how Diana massacres the fishman zombies (or whatever they are), or really how that situation is set up in the first place. But at least they have a rather clear guide to follow now with the sword acting as a beacon.
    A couple of things about this set up that didn't work for me, not to mention the massacre.

    I'll buy it that the minotaur monster moves at crazy speed. I'll roll with it that Diana is stunned and cannot move, that Maggie can somehow step in with the sword.

    But Diana can't catch Maggie and the sword at the same time--either with WW's great speed flying and/or using the lasso to catch one whilst physically getting the other? That does not sit well with me.

    Similarly, how crazy fast are these fish zombie things? To have come up from the chasm so quickly after Atlantiades? Or to be able to run along the ground and still catch up with a flying at speed Diana? That...makes me scratch my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A word on the cover. I have really liked most of the covers that the Dodson's have made for Wonder Woman, but this one feels like a step back. Diana looks less buff than she usually does, and her shield looks more like a trash can lid than a shield. Maggie's posing is really awkward. And Aphrodite is the third member of the group, despite her playing little role in the story, just like Steve Trevor appeared #69 and #71. I know this has been a hectic time for the editorial team, and that covers needs to be made much in advance, but I wonder how the planning of the issues go. It is rather clear that Wilson has been extremely busy—joining a bi-weekly series on short notice, a book launch with tour, a medical emergency, and her own monthly series on Dark Horse—which might have had an impact here.
    I'm ok with Diana's physicality on the cover. But I do agree that the shield looks like a trash can. Haha.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I respect everybody's opinion. But i think we need to be realistic. It's been many issues and gww WW still feels weak and in need of help almost all the time. Plus the handle of WW's personality is also inconsistent. She said Diana holds back because she doesn't want to kill her opponents if she can avoid it. Doesn't want to hurt her opponents if she can avoid it. Yet here she was fast to decide to kill those monsters. While prioer to that, she was doubtful about going all out against giants made of rock. gww is bot consistent with WW at all. And WW is not the center character of her own book yet again.

  5. #5
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    I like that there was lots of action, ..more than in Rucka's run. I also like that the action was consequential, for the most, ..and not action for action's sake.

    I liked the story, generally, though I do feel that Maggie, Atlantiades and Aphrodite are too similar, in how GW characterizes them. They all seem optimistically sunny, for the most, leaving me wanting some challenging or contrary POV/voice in the mix. Even Giganta was uncharacteristically upbeat, as if afflicted by strong psychotropic drugs. Going forward, I think we need an Etta or Artemis type to offer a firm thing, against which Diana's, Maggie's and Phro's optimism might contrast, such that we can appreciate a diversity of tone, in the frequent exchanges between characters.

    Everybody's a little too resilient and optimistic, right now, to be interesting to me.

    A Diana-Maggie-Artemis ensemble might be a step in the right direction...strike the right cord. There's definitely affirming feminine energy in the narrative that is refreshing, and I would like to see how writers build future stories around that. I will like to see how Steve and Ferdinand, on the side, fit into that dynamic.

    I hear the criticism that Diana is not the center or star of her own book, but, I do think she has her moments in this run. She expresses how much she enjoys rushing into battle, with companions at her side, and this makes sense for an Amazon.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-14-2019 at 02:59 AM.
    HAPPILY EVER AFTERWORLDS: CONRAD, CLOONAN, MOORE AND THE SECOND GOLDEN AGE OF WONDER WOMAN...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I like that there was lots of action, ..more than in Rucka's run. I also like that the action was consequential, for the most, ..and not action for action's sake.
    In a way, I think Wilson being behind schedule (due to the book tour) might have played a part in how this appears. Having Diana being tossed around by the colossus, or being pursued and then murderising the fishmen zombies is not really complex as scripting goes.

    Having thought a little bit more about it, I think another piece of my trouble with Diana murderising the fishmen zombies is that she used the lasso to do it. It's a weapon of love and truth and protection, not of destruction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I liked the story, generally, though I do feel that Maggie, Atlantiades and Aphrodite are too similar, in how GW characterizes them. They all seem optimistically sunny, for the most, leaving me wanting some challenging or contrary POV/voice in the mix. Even Giganta was uncharacteristically upbeat, as if afflicted by strong psychotropic drugs. Going forward, I think we need an Etta or Artemis type to offer a firm thing, against which Diana's, Maggie's and Phro's optimism might contrast, such that we can appreciate a diversity of tone, in the frequent exchanges between characters.

    (snip)

    I hear the criticism that Diana is not the center or star of her own book, but, I do think she has her moments in this run. She expresses how much she enjoys rushing into battle, with companions at her side, and this makes sense for an Amazon.
    Heh. Looking at the early comics, it is Diana who is the more realistic one (when she isn't being snarky) and Etta who is generally the more optimistically sunny one. I think that's partly an effect not of Wilson's writing but of Derenick's art.

    When read in isolation, Diana's words aren't really at enjoying battle, it is about being in a fight where she isn't alone but is fighting with people that she trusts and considers friends. It's the art which changes the tone.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  7. #7
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,864

    Default

    This arc is very reminiscent of Trial of the Gods by Perez, where it is just a gauntlet of monsters.

    For those interest, Wonder Woman slaughtered 19 sentient fish creatures in that gore-whip technique and she also stabbed one in the previous page, so the total death toll is 20 by my count. There is really no reason to not assume that these creature weren't sentient, they probably had families too. So its possible by killing all the adults of this population that their children will die as well. So Wonder Woman essentially committed genocide.

    This isn't actually the bloodiest issue of Wonder Woman either, as in Wonder Woman Vol 1 #68 Wonder Woman destroys two subs and two enemy plains. Subs during that period hosted a crew compliment between 80-130 or more, so she killed a lot of people.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 06-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This arc is very reminiscent of Trial of the Gods by Perez, where it is just a gauntlet of monsters.

    For those interest, Wonder Woman slaughtered 19 sentient fish creatures in that gore-whip technique and she also stabbed one in the previous page, so the total death toll is 20 by my count. There is really no reason to not assume that these creature weren't sentient, they probably had families too. So its possible by killing all the adults of this population that their children will die as well. So Wonder Woman essentially committed genocide.
    What the what?

    Okay, did not read that scene like that at all. Man eating flesh demons get nuked. Not the first time I’ve seen Disna put down a demon spawn and I’m totally okay with it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Anyway, this issue was pretty blah for me. Why not just grab Maggie and lasso the sword? Or fly after it with her instead of floating around gabbing?

    Diana does alright against mooks but folds like a cheap suit against the boss.

    Best part of the book was the cover art.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Anyway, this issue was pretty blah for me. Why not just grab Maggie and lasso the sword? Or fly after it with her instead of floating around gabbing?

    Diana does alright against mooks but folds like a cheap suit against the boss.

    Best part of the book was the cover art.
    gww WW is the best at beatinf fodder. The big opponents are too much for the "powerhouse" that gww writes.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This arc is very reminiscent of Trial of the Gods by Perez, where it is just a gauntlet of monsters.

    For those interest, Wonder Woman slaughtered 19 sentient fish creatures in that gore-whip technique and she also stabbed one in the previous page, so the total death toll is 20 by my count. There is really no reason to not assume that these creature weren't sentient, they probably had families too. So its possible by killing all the adults of this population that their children will die as well. So Wonder Woman essentially committed genocide.

    This isn't actually the bloodiest issue of Wonder Woman either, as in Wonder Woman Vol 1 #68 Wonder Woman destroys two subs and two enemy plains. Subs during that period hosted a crew compliment between 80-130 or more, so she killed a lot of people.
    I’ve just read through that issue and none of that happens
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  12. #12
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    What the what?

    Okay, did not read that scene like that at all. Man eating flesh demons get nuked. Not the first time I’ve seen Disna put down a demon spawn and I’m totally okay with it.
    Wonder Woman and co. dropped into their space baring something (light) they were allergic too. Under castle doctrine the creatures were in their right to kill those imposers.

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I’ve just read through that issue and none of that happens
    My apologies. I seem to have wrote #68 instead of #60 for some reason. I'm not sure why, it is correctly labelled in my Body Count document...

    This is a direct link to what I'm talking about. Interestingly, there is a third sub in the top right panel.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  13. #13
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,437

    Arrow

    IMO, 2.5 stars so about average for a modern comic.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Wonder Woman and co. dropped into their space baring something (light) they were allergic too. Under castle doctrine the creatures were in their right to kill those imposers.
    Hmmm.

    I think that trying to make an emotional appeal about the offspring of demons is a questionable point at best.

    Having said that, there seemed no reason to engage the creatures in battle except that Maggie wanted to kill things with her big-ass sword. So yeah, needless violence for it's own sake. Not really worthy of Wonder Woman.



    My apologies. I seem to have wrote #68 instead of #60 for some reason. I'm not sure why, it is correctly labelled in my Body Count document...

    This is a direct link to what I'm talking about. Interestingly, there is a third sub in the top right panel.
    Ah - yes, I've now read it.

    However, I note that the subs ran THEMSELVES into the explosives thinking that Diana would be the one that blinked. Had they backed off they wouldn't have blown up. Basic villain-bringing-about-their-own-downfall stuff.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •