Default Doomsday Clock: Collector's Perspective

First off, I stopped collecting Doomsday Clock after the first issue. It's not that I didn't like the story, I just decided to wait for the TPB. However, I've recently gained interest in collecting variant covers for all 12 issues. As someone who prides himself in collecting the odd rare bauble, I'm wondering if Doomsday Clock will garner any collector interest in the coming years. Will a full collection of variants be worth anything in 5-10 years? I'm not really looking for a payout, but I'd enjoy the collection a bit more knowing that I snagged it before prices rose. Anyone have any insights on this?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I'm hoping a mod will take pity on me otherwise.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    First off, I stopped collecting Doomsday Clock after the first issue. It's not that I didn't like the story, I just decided to wait for the TPB. However, I've recently gained interest in collecting variant covers for all 12 issues. As someone who prides himself in collecting the odd rare bauble, I'm wondering if Doomsday Clock will garner any collector interest in the coming years. Will a full collection of variants be worth anything in 5-10 years? I'm not really looking for a payout, but I'd enjoy the collection a bit more knowing that I snagged it before prices rose. Anyone have any insights on this?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I'm hoping a mod will take pity on me otherwise.
    None. Watchmen isn't all that rare (I always find an issue here or there at any convention), but even so what rarity it does have comes from how nobody was expecting much from it at the start. Doomsday Clock is the sequel to what most consider the genre's magnum opus. Every store has multitudes of it. They won't be worth much at all in the future because many were printed and DC jettisoned it's significance immediately.

The value of Doomsday Clock will be your enjoyment of it and maybe cover price to boot. Sorry, but for the most part, the only issues that become collectible now are tied to media adaptions (so Carol becoming Captain Marvel following the announcement of her movie, Mera showing up on screen at least doubled the value of Aquaman #11, etc) or colossal flubs (Batman: Damned's Batawang). Everything else is big for a moment, but dies down (I imagine once Bruce returns as Batman, the Luke Fox first appearance will plateau in value). The speculator market in comics is pretty much dead. All the important issues of the past will likely appreciate because they are from a time before people started archiving these; good quality is rare. Now all us geeks bag and board like we're curating a museum exhibit, so you're going to find a ton of VF+ 8.0s littering longboxes. Moreover, comic collecting is becoming quaint and a lot of newer readers are either Millennials or younger who are embracing more minimalist lifestyles. I imagine digital will become more enticing to them as distribution models evolve. Most the big collectors are older and I imagine the collector craze will die out within the next thirty years as digital and trades become more accepted as methods for reading back issues (the books themselves largely becoming collectibles that burn space in your home). Doomsday Clock is going to be in the $3-5 range outside signatures or the mother of all Hail Mary 12th issues being dropped next month. The rules keep changing. Every year I see different trends at all the local shows that roll into town but I rarely see fresh new faces. I'm in the younger crowd at 30.

Keys will sell, but those don't crop up very often and I can't think of a single run or mini that's all keys.

Sorry, bud. King Kirby put it best when he said "comics will break your heart, kid."
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-19-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Basic economic theory balances supply and demand. DC, to my knowledge, made all of DClock's variants easily accessible so none were "special" cases. Certainly some covers may be worth a small premium, but with the plethora of printings and covers, the economic gain by achieving a complete set probably doesn't exist.