Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Batman Who Laughs - Hideously overused?

TBWL seems to be pretty controversial, one of the more common complaints I hear is "He's everywhere". Would you agree/disagree?

I disagree. He's been in Metal, his mini-series, a little bit of Justice League, a little bit of Immortal Men, the first arc of the current Batman/Superman series and Hell Arisen. And Death Metal, obviously.

He doesn't strike me as extremely "in your face" this way.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    TBWL seems to be pretty controversial, one of the more common complaints I hear is "He's everywhere". Would you agree/disagree?
    I agree, Scott Snyder seems to be trying to impose his vision of DC (he is agains 5G and Doomsday Clock for exemple), he manages because he had a bit of success with American Vampire et a few of his early Batman, but in the end, his work is pretty bad, his ideas worthless and he is corrupting the DC Univers.

All this is sad and should have stopped ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I disagree. He's been in Metal, his mini-series, a little bit of Justice League, a little bit of Immortal Men, the first arc of the current Batman/Superman series and Hell Arisen. And Death Metal, obviously.

Indeed Batman Who Laughs is not "everywhere" meaning in every DC Titles. But he's slowly crawling in many series that he shouldn't appear in. And he gets more more titles dedicated to him, and appears in more and more titles.
    Also, the main thing DC is comunicating about (other than Harley Quinn) is Batman Who Laughs. And BWL is saddly their current lamest product !

You just listed seven things he's been in and the character has only been around for a little over two years. Five of those he's the main focus of.

Yeah, I'd say that's overused.

Of course, that's how marketing works these days, sadly. "This thing is popular, let's beat it into the ground and get as much money out of it as possible until people are tired of it."
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yes. I don't mind him being a planet level threat, because he is, but he shouldn't be on the cover for DC's new timeline kickoff series. Barbatos is the god of Dark Multiverse, not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    You just listed seven things he's been in and the character has only been around for a little over two years. Five of those he's the main focus of.

Yeah, I'd say that's overused.

Of course, that's how marketing works these days, sadly. "This thing is popular, let's beat it into the ground and get as much money out of it as possible until people are tired of it."
    Speaking as someone who hasn’t read 99.9% of the character’s appearances, yet has been constantly exposed to his presence in various ways for the last couple of years, i’d say he’s overexposed, yeah.

Personally I don’t see the attraction.

Yeah I gotta agree with you, because to me it’s not as if he’s making an appearances all over the place because DC is head over heels about him. He has mainly shown up in stories written by Snyder who created him and when it’s not by Snyder it’s in stories that have tried to advance his plot except for maybe Immortal Men (didn’t read that, no idea if it has anything to do with what’s currently going on).

I mean Snyder brought him in for Metal, kept him around for his plans in Justice League which have lead to the current Hell Arisen and Death Metal stories. In between that Snyder gave him a mini-series that then lead into the Batman/Superman story arc which was also leading into Hell Arisen and Death Metal. It might seem like a popularity thing but from my perspective it looks like this has just all been a part of the story Snyder has been writing. If he had been making multiple appearances in all the Batman related or even Justice league related character series I’d agree with a majority of the posts but it really seems as though he’s been used by Snyder to build his own story events after Metal.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-16-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

IMO, I wished they never created this character. It's hard to believe that's actually Bruce Wayne under all that ugliness. Guess that was the whole point of having an evil clown as your nemesis. It would've made more sense if it was a different character instead. And how come no love for the other evil Batmen,anyway?

He's annoyingly OP'd, maybe that is why the original poster thinks he's over exposed. Even in a universe where Batman is prepped for everything, TBWL is a bit of a stretch.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    IMO, I wished they never created this character. It's hard to believe that's actually Bruce Wayne under all that ugliness. Guess that was the whole point of having an evil clown as your nemesis. It would've made more sense if it was a different character instead. And how come no love for the other evil Batmen,anyway?
    Speaking of evil clowns, TBWL has been making appearances in Supergirl, too - she is one of TBWL's Infected Six, drawn like a member of Kiss - the only one of the Six drawn like a clown. A punk clown, with garish makeup and spikes in her clothes. And the title will be cancelled with the May issue. Beyond overexposure, it may be fair to claim that this monthly is his victim.

There was a demand, they supplied it.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Speaking of evil clowns, TBWL has been making appearances in Supergirl, too - she is one of TBWL's Infected Six, drawn like a member of Kiss - the only one of the Six drawn like a clown. A punk clown, with garish makeup and spikes in her clothes. And the title will be cancelled with the May issue. Beyond overexposure, it may be fair to claim that this monthly is his victim.
    Imagine being a fan of Supergirl thanks to the CW show and wanting to see what she’s up to in the comics right now... only to be met with a storyline of her being an evil clown monstrosity rather than something that’s close to the show as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    There was a demand, they supplied it.
    No there was no demand.
    It seemed cool at first, so people bought Dark Knight: Metal.

Everyone saw it was bad, but since a lot had bought it, DC thinks people crave this.

I still don't understand what this character's appeal is. He's Joker but OP like Batman? Joker is already OP.