Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It makes me miss Mother Panic

Some thoughts on #2.

Sadly, the art doesn't work for me. It's beautifully drawn, but lifeless. I'm not sure if it's the colouring or the linework, but it simply doesn't work for me, except for some very few frames. One example of that is when we see only Ivy's eyes in frame two on page 5, but that is undercut by that the emotional content of the previous frame is totally the opposite, and there is no signal on what caused the shift in Ivy's attitude.

Ivy continues to be a tabula rasa and struggling with both powers, body, and memory after the events of Heroes in Crisis. But at least the comic is aware of this, and Harley is throughout depicted as someone who will literally go through fire to help her. And the comic continues to call out the stupidity of that comic. Or in Harley's words:

Dunno if I really trust the good guys to not muck things up again. Not after Sanctuary.
    spoilers:
    In the end, Harley decides to seek the help of the Mad Hatter, who we find out in the last frame has been conspiring with Floronic Man.
    end of spoilers

Plotwise, it's nothing special, but Harley's care for Ivy really shines through, even when she feels that everyone else have abandoned them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

No discussion about #2, and nothing yet for #3?

Fun to see Poison Ivy go She-Hulk. And "a disturbance in the green"? Heh. But I think DC still is scared of showing Harley and Ivy as a real couple, and the comic is poorer for it. It feels like it's holding Houser's writing back. But she is making it very clear that even if Ivy and Harley might not understand each other perfectly, the other is clearly the most important thing in their world.

It's also a nice touch how Ivy's clothing here is organic and constantly changing with her mood and situation.

However, I'm not feeling the art. It has a static and plasticy feeling that I think is poorly suited for both of them, especially Ivy, and I'm not sure it really manages to support the emotional beats that Houser sets up. The only piece where I think the art really supported the narrative was when Harley had been stepford-ised by the Mad Hatter.

So it's an OK issue, but it doesn't really lead anywhere or tell anything new.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])