Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    maybe they think a Superboy and a Batman are needed for the Legion.
    What makes you say Batman too? Did I miss something?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Looks fine but do LL, SG, CB all have the same haircut or am I seeing things wrong?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Looks fine but do LL, SG, CB all have the same haircut or am I seeing things wrong?
    I had the same reaction. Guess they went to the same future barber :P?

They have the same hair cut but it's styled differently. Maybe this is what all the kids think are cool in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Last time Jon left things didn't go well. I don't get trying again but maybe they think a Superboy and a Batman are needed for the Legion.
    Well, common sense has never stopped Clark from making questionable decisions with his family.

And these are some of Clark's oldest and most trusted friends, who helped him considerably during his youth. Jon proved that he can handle himself with Jor. So sure, why the hell not?

It's actually really nice to get away from the perfect father, Rockwell-ian version of Clark that Tomasi wrote. As much as I enjoyed the first half of that run, Clark has never done very well with family and I feel like Bendis is staying truer to the history of the character this way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    What makes you say Batman too? Did I miss something?
    Maybe they're thinking of Batman Beyond?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, common sense has never stopped Clark from making questionable decisions with his family.

And these are some of Clark's oldest and most trusted friends, who helped him considerably during his youth. Jon proved that he can handle himself with Jor. So sure, why the hell not?

It's actually really nice to get away from the perfect father, Rockwell-ian version of Clark that Tomasi wrote. As much as I enjoyed the first half of that run, Clark has never done very well with family and I feel like Bendis is staying truer to the history of the character this way.
    I disagree, superman being an actual mentor and a good father for once was nice change of pace for once. Considering, superman has always yearned for a family. Him getting good at it was no-brainer, after years.Even though, Clark struggled with son's supernatural reality like pa(jontathan) kent. It was nice to see Clark become pa kent for jon, and not screwing it up(until recently).And superman's history is basically interpretation of the writer and the version they like.
    What has been so great about seeing Clark screw up his son, exactly?
    Jon's personality since return has been non existent. His panel presence is non existent. Jon isn't relatable, anymore . We don't get a heart warming fun scenes, where superfamily actually feels like a family. It's all space, jor el, rogol zarr crap. Atleast last issue had a couple of moments like the hug and krypto reunion . But they are too brief and were no fun at all.
    Oh yeah, What is so rockwell-ian about clark and jon getting stuck in jurassic island or clark teaching his kid to fight a giant monster? I didn't know rockwell-ian fathers did that with their son. Maybe, i am wrong. Clark's family life wasn't ideal anything. It just wasn't screwed up like it is now by losing your son in space not bothering to seek help to find him.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I disagree, superman being an actual mentor and a good father for once was nice change of pace for once. Considering, superman has always yearned for a family. Him getting good at it was no-brainer, after years.Even though, Clark struggled with son's supernatural reality like pa(jontathan) kent. It was nice to see Clark become pa kent for jon, and not screwing it up(until recently).And superman's history is basically interpretation of the writer and the version they like.
    What has been so great about seeing Clark screw up his son, exactly?
    Jon's personality since return has been non existent. His panel presence is non existent. Jon isn't relatable, anymore . We don't get a heart warming fun scenes, where superfamily actually feels like a family. It's all space, jor el, rogol zarr crap. Atleast last issue had a couple of moments like the hug and krypto reunion . But they are too brief and were no fun at all.
    Oh yeah, What is so rockwell-ian about clark and jon getting stuck in jurassic island or clark teaching his kid to fight a giant monster? I didn't know rockwell-ian fathers did that with their son. Maybe, i am wrong. Clark's family life wasn't ideal anything. It just wasn't screwed up like it is now by losing your son in space not bothering to seek help to find him.
    I can't speak for Ascendant but people would often use Rockwellian to refer to the Hyper-Idealistic representation of Smalltown America that was the center point of Superman's post-crisis upbringing. You could say that both era's had very rosy and ideal childhoods a key difference imo was that Pre-Crisis never tried to pretend that Superman was anything other than Superman and presented you with a childhood that fed back into the Superman mythos. Post-Crisis in it's never ending obsession with relatability slathered everything in this weird world of Andy Griffith meets some kind of 1980's sitcom. Seeing Clark propped up on a tractor, tending to farm work that serves no purpose, and in general the whole farm hand family thats been haunting the character since '87 serves no real purpose other than aesthetic preening. Clark's a superhero not a farmer. The Superman stuff from Tomasi's run was good but the regular guy stuff varied.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Another question, do y’all think there will eventually be a Legionnaires book (by a different writer) to run alongside Legion of Super-Heroes like they used to? Or has the Legion decayed in popularity so much that they wouldn’t be able to support another title?

There is probably only going to be one book, only Batman gets various books about him in one way or another to run concurrent but you never know.

If anything a couple of miniseries might spring up out of the Millennium book, I'm also very curious about what the off world story could be.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Another question, do y’all think there will eventually be a Legionnaires book (by a different writer) to run alongside Legion of Super-Heroes like they used to? Or has the Legion decayed in popularity so much that they wouldn’t be able to support another title?
    Depends on how well this relaunch does. If it flops then no there won’t be another book.

I can't speak for Ascendant but people would often use Rockwellian to refer to the Hyper-Idealistic representation of Smalltown America that was the center point of Superman's post-crisis upbringing. You could say that both era's had very rosy and ideal childhoods a key difference imo was that Pre-Crisis never tried to pretend that Superman was anything other than Superman and presented you with a childhood that fed back into the Superman mythos. Post-Crisis in it's never ending obsession with relatability slathered everything in this weird world of Andy Griffith meets some kind of 1980's sitcom. Seeing Clark propped up on a tractor, tending to farm work that serves no purpose, and in general the whole farm hand family thats been haunting the character since '87 serves no real purpose other than aesthetic preening. Clark's a superhero not a farmer. The Superman stuff from Tomasi's run was good but the regular guy stuff varied.
    Why can't a superhero be a farmer at the same time? Clark being a farmer is one of the most best things about his character. "Superhero" is not even a profession. It is what he does when trouble comes knocking. Yes! This is similar in every interpretation of the character.
    I come from a culture that looked down upon farming and farmers. So, Clark's farmer persona is very admirable to me. That isn't to say Clark's reporter persona isn't my favourite. But, clark ploughing the feilds doesn't make him ideal, just a working man. Work that helps make world a Better place.
    "The never ending battle" is what helps me relate to clark. Not some trivial pre crisis or post crisis changes. "The never ending battle" just doesn't limit to his superheroics, but his other persona's as well like farmer, reporter or even firefighter.Thats why i take offence to people trivialising that aspect of the character. Putting, out fires in his baby clothes is what i like about the character. You kill that he won't be relatable. No matter what changes you do with his origin.

Eh I’d argue reporting is better for making the world a better place. And farming is being automated, soon we’ll have farmerless farms. Doesn’t really make sense for Clark to go back to that kind of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Eh I’d argue reporting is better for making the world a better place. And farming is being automated, soon we’ll have farmerless farms. Doesn’t really make sense for Clark to go back to that kind of life.
    Dude, the world isn't restricted to developed countries or USA you know. This is why i want superman to be Nigerian or cambodian or something. Clearly, developed countries don't need him. I have always felt like superman should have crash landed in any of the developing countries that truly needs him to take care of things like corruption, poverty.. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, the world isn't restricted to developed countries or USA you know. This is why i want superman to be Nigerian or cambodian or something. Clearly, developed countries don't need him. I have always felt like superman should have crash landed in any of the developing countries that truly needs him to take care of things like corruption, poverty.. Etc.
    I do know and I agree with you actually. I think an Elseworld Superman who lands in one of those countries would be an absolutely fascinating story. But you’re not really a fan of New 52 Supes right? I feel like a Cambodian or Nigerian Superman would lean more towards the New 52 attitude then the Post-Crisis/Rebirth Superman to be honest.

And for those places a farmer background, and perhaps occasional return to that life would make perfect sense. But for canon Earth 0 white-passing Clark? Farming is fine as his childhood shield from the world but as the years go on it’s going to be harder and harder to keep. In America small towns and farming lifestyles are dying out, I should know, I come from one of those towns. And for that reason it’s reporting that I see as Clark’s future, although even that is not guaranteed.