Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 825 of 933
  1. #811
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I don't know if "nice" is the word I'd use. It's especially a bitter pill to swallow when we have Hickman's X-Men showing us how to do a relaunch right and you have to wonder why DC didn't go that route.
    Hickman even made up his own language in the book.(an alphabet anyway) Now which team book started doing that decades ago....?

  2. #812
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Not necessarily, but the Legion and the X-Men are actually two teams in somewhat similar circumstances: both were massively popular in the early-mid 80s and in more recent times have seen a decline of that popularity. So, in this case, what works for one may actually work for the other.
    Don't forget the Dave Cockrum connection!

  3. #813
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is also a problem that this goes against the spirit of rebirth. which was an anti-reboot narrative . Then again rebirth is pretty much dead. doomsday clock delays didn't help either. I wonder,how Geoff johns wanted to relaunch the legion at the end of doomsday clock. His legion is very much tied to clark at the hip. Stealing things from clark and giving it to jon is not cool. This feels alot like barry and wally situation.
    Except that DC's been backing away from Clark actually being Superboy since the 90's.

    Before that even, now that I'm remembering the Pocket Universe Superboy and the 5 Years Later Legion.

    And only the Superboy and the Legion cartoon ever took the idea of Superboy= Superman as a young noob hero seriously anyway.

  4. #814
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Don't forget the Dave Cockrum connection!
    In my head-canon, Nightcrawler's an honorary Legionnaire.

  5. #815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Except that DC's been backing away from Clark actually being Superboy since the 90's.

    Before that even, now that I'm remembering the Pocket Universe Superboy and the 5 Years Later Legion.

    And only the Superboy and the Legion cartoon ever took the idea of Superboy= Superman as a young noob hero seriously anyway.
    Well, there was a reason for that. Now that reason doesn't exist. That is why secret origins had it. Which is also taken as base for this reborn superman's origin. What is the point of creating an amalgam superman with all the previous adventures from precrisis, post crisis and new 52 if you are going to keep removing things from him?

  6. #816
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    A question for you Legion vets: does this section from the solicitation remind you a bit of some of Mark Waid's reboot?
    It totally reminds of Waids Threeboot. A high profile writer comes in and instead of trying to build on the history of the franchise they just dump everything and start over. Waid alienated so many old fans just like it seems Bendis is doing with his reboot in the search of "new" fans. I have a feeling this new series is going to go the same way the Waidboot did which is bring in some new readers but will lose just as many if not more and the book will not sell that well. This new series will live and die with Bendis since his fans don't usually care about the character they care about Bendis and when he leaves the book they will too, and since a lot of the old time fans will have given up or not even tried this series the sales will tank and the book will be cancelled. Waid saw his sales not going anywhere and threw a hail mary by bringing in Supergirl to try and save his run and it didn't work while Bendis is trying to stack the deck from the start using Superboy from the get go. The problem is not many people are fans of what he did aging Jon up to an angsty teen to begin with.

    People keep saying "well look at Bendis and his Young Justice book". The problem is with Young Justice he gave the people what they wanted with the classic characters back together. With Legion he is doing the exact opposite and getting rid of the classic and giving you all new "in name only" characters, and that is not what most fans want at all.

  7. #817
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Not necessarily, but the Legion and the X-Men are actually two teams in somewhat similar circumstances: both were massively popular in the early-mid 80s and in more recent times have seen a decline of that popularity. So, in this case, what works for one may actually work for the other.
    You don't think that's a bit of a massive over simplification? I agree they both started out at fairly similar spots, but since the 80's they couldn't be more different. X-Men is a multimedia giant with dozens of cartoon shows, anime, video games, a cinematic universe worth of movies, and a comic line that has basically never not been around. Then Legion? They had one cartoon, guest spots on 2 Superman related shows, cameos in the DCA, and a comic line that's been canceled for nearly 5 years. This isn't a fair comparison. X-Men has leaps and bounds more exposure.

    And as pointed out, it is inconsistent with the promise set forth by Rebirth.
    But Rebirth also proves that this isn't a one size fits all deal. There are properties that are not suddenly getting back Pre-flashpoint history. Shazam is the poster child for this. It is a direct continuation of the New 52 version. And this is a book that's written by Johns himself. It just goes to show that they are willing to reboot or stay on the path of a reboot if they feel the franchise in question becomes more permeable and accessible that way. As I said, it's not a one size fits all.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  8. #818
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    france
    Posts
    131

  9. #819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Don't forget the Dave Cockrum connection!
    Cochrum's Legion and X-Men are my favorite version of each team.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with those two other guys)
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  10. #820
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    I'm excited for this.

    It does feel like the Threeboot, whereas someone like Johns would have found a way to revitalize and diversify the Legion with radical changes that didn't seem arbitrary. But I'm still excited for it. It feels like a different Legion, frankly. And Superboy deserves the spotlight. Does this mean five years from now Johns is going to have to write another Legion of 3 Worlds crossover? Who knows.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  11. #821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm excited for this.

    It does feel like the Threeboot, whereas someone like Johns would have found a way to revitalize and diversify the Legion with radical changes that didn't seem arbitrary. But I'm still excited for it. It feels like a different Legion, frankly. And Superboy deserves the spotlight. Does this mean five years from now Johns is going to have to write another Legion of 3 Worlds crossover? Who knows.
    Spotlight is not the thing i am worried about. Jon not being written like himself is my worry. Bendis's jon is atrocious. It is the most boring thing ever. He even makes jon call clark "pa",which is weird as heck. I would have been more into it if how we got here wasn't so awful or atleast if someone else was writing this.

  12. #822
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,831

    Default

    The conclusion of Superman issue #14





    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  13. #823
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,831

    Default

    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  14. #824
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It totally reminds of Waids Threeboot. A high profile writer comes in and instead of trying to build on the history of the franchise they just dump everything and start over. Waid alienated so many old fans just like it seems Bendis is doing with his reboot in the search of "new" fans. I have a feeling this new series is going to go the same way the Waidboot did which is bring in some new readers but will lose just as many if not more and the book will not sell that well. This new series will live and die with Bendis since his fans don't usually care about the character they care about Bendis and when he leaves the book they will too, and since a lot of the old time fans will have given up or not even tried this series the sales will tank and the book will be cancelled. Waid saw his sales not going anywhere and threw a hail mary by bringing in Supergirl to try and save his run and it didn't work while Bendis is trying to stack the deck from the start using Superboy from the get go. The problem is not many people are fans of what he did aging Jon up to an angsty teen to begin with.

    People keep saying "well look at Bendis and his Young Justice book". The problem is with Young Justice he gave the people what they wanted with the classic characters back together. With Legion he is doing the exact opposite and getting rid of the classic and giving you all new "in name only" characters, and that is not what most fans want at all.
    Young Justice doesn’t even sell that well. I doubt LoSH will even sell anywhere close to as much. I’m expecting it will fail and DC will just drop the franchise again. Next time they’ll just have Batman found the LoSH.

  15. #825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Young Justice doesn’t even sell that well. I doubt LoSH will even sell anywhere close to as much. I’m expecting it will fail and DC will just drop the franchise again. Next time they’ll just have Batman found the LoSH.
    That will be even funnier. The legion guys Instead of wearing colourful costumes will all be wearing black. They will have masks and voice modulator. Most of all, will say "we are the goddamn legion" in bale batman voice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •