Page 40 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'd think a good ship would want to have room for everyone, both old-time fans and new fans, but silly me...
    I am not talking about anyone specifically but some fans are under the delusion that if things are not done their way it is going to die. A good ship has room for everyone but sometimes people think that being on the ship makes them the captain. They think that when they get off the ship it is not going to run.

I have seen some fans talk about their dislike Guardians of Galaxy series or The Thor Ragnarok movie. The thing is those movies have successful cultivated a new base with new direction. Sometimes new direction what a franchise need in spite of the long time fans not liking it. Just given how active DC was the property I can safely assume that financially it was not setting the world on fire which general means the future of franchise depends on being able to attract new readers and fans more than it does maintaining old fans.. That doesn't mean you alienate or ignore the older fans but you can't let old fan stop you from modernizing your franchise for future success.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am not talking about anyone specifically but some fans are under the delusion that if things are not done their way it is going to die. A good ship has room for everyone but sometimes people think that being on the ship makes them the captain. They think that when they get off the ship it is not going to run.

I have seen some fans talk about their dislike Guardians of Galaxy series or The Thor Ragnarok movie. The thing is those movies have successful cultivated a new base with new direction. Sometimes new direction what a franchise need in spite of the long time fans not liking it. Just given how active DC was the property I can safely assume that financially it was not setting the world on fire which general means the future of franchise depends on being able to attract new readers and fans more than it does maintaining old fans.. That doesn't mean you alienate or ignore the older fans but you can't let old fan stop you from modernizing your franchise for future success.
    Nobody is saying that new directions aren't welcome. I actually quite like it when franchises try to push the envelope, but there's a difference between story ideas and directions that are organic and those that aren't.

It should also be noted that the new directions for the Guardians and Thor in the MCU hasn't necessarily translated into the sales of the actual comics. And as for Thor, I don't know if one could even say that the comics have been that influenced by the movies. For me, I actually quite took to Jane Foster as the new Thor during Aaron's run and followed those books all the way until she went back to being just Jane Foster. However, the key thing about that in this context is that Aaron didn't reboot the Thor franchise and flush 50 years of continuity down the toiler in order to pull that direction off.

So, in sum:

New directions and stories that push the envelope to deliver engaging and inclusive storytelling = good

Needless reboots that alter the core of the characters and turn their back on everything that came before = bad.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-30-2019 at 01:00 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I actually love all the looks, for the most part. I've seen Chameleon Boy get a lot of crap for instance, but I like that he looks more alien. The designs definitely aren't my problem. Jon is my problem. I just fundamentally hate his whole concept and it seems like any move they make with him does something negative to Superman, in this case taking his Legion history. He's a goddamn blight on the mythos at this point in my view. Not a popular view but I think this kid is going to be a problem, not a benefit, to Superman for a long time till and if he's ever gotten rid of. But that's a problem that's not going away any time soon so it just is what it is. I'll eat it where I have to and avoid it where I can. This is a situation where I can avoid it so that's the reason why I'm unfortunately out on this one.
    How is this jon as concept's problem? The minute batman had a son and it worked.Comics rarely have anything original . So, Creation of sons in comics was cemented. He is a superson. His whole concept should be learning the ropes with his larger than life father.He should have been what jimmy was in the old days, albeit with superpowers. That position was and is still vacant. It is a very important part that has been missing for a long time. It provided a child's perspective of superman without any cynicism and angst. Now, superman doesn't have that. I don't get the feeling of wonder from anything Superman does. Personally, i would love it if jon is returned to what he was before. Go, form a team with damian or something .

You should have seen this coming the minute, bendis graced us with his presence and decided to do this. Atleast you can read about clark in other books. I can't even do that with jon.i am stuck with this nonsense. Oh! Yeah, superfamily is basically a shitty in his hand as well. So, If you want to blame someone blame Bendis not the concept of superhero fathers and sons.

The variant covers for Millennium #1 & 2

So, in this article, CBR states that White Witch could be in the team shot, but I don't know who the writer is talking about. The white energy woman in the last row before Colossal Boy ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I’m thinking that kid was the skull might be chemical king.��
    Looks like maybe the artist has been watching Scooby Doo Where Are You

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, in this article, CBR states that White Witch could be in the team shot, but I don't know who the writer is talking about. The white energy woman in the last row before Colossal Boy ?
    CBR is suggesting that Mysa may be the one under Dr. Fate's helmet:

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-fate-join...-super-heroes/

Astonishing Member

Nobody is saying that new directions aren't welcome. I actually quite like it when franchises try to push the envelope, but there's a difference between story ideas and directions that are organic and those that aren't.

It should also be noted that the new directions for the Guardians and Thor in the MCU hasn't necessarily translated into the sales of the actual comics. And as for Thor, I don't know if one could even say that the comics have been that influenced by the movies. For me, I actually quite took to Jane Foster as the new Thor during Aaron's run and followed those books all the way until she went back to being just Jane Foster. However, the key thing about that in this context is that Aaron didn't reboot the Thor franchise and flush 50 years of continuity down the toiler in order to pull that direction off.

So, in sum:

New directions and stories that push the envelope to deliver engaging and inclusive storytelling = good

Needless reboots that alter the core of the characters and turn their back on everything that came before = bad.
    It is good and bad for you. It's posible new readers like these "needless" changes. So, it would be good for them.

The Legion really needs to attract new readers, since the old fans aren't enough to mantain a solo.

Success of films usually doesn't translate on comics. It seems that does not stop Marvel when trying to create energy with the extremely successful films.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You should have seen this coming the minute, bendis graced us with his presence and decided to do this. Atleast you can read about clark in other books. I can't even do that with jon.i am stuck with this nonsense. Oh! Yeah, superfamily is basically a shitty in his hand as well. So, If you want to blame someone blame Bendis not the concept of superhero fathers and sons.
    Before anyone else brings it up: No, the heavy-handed out of continuity Super Sons graphic novel trilogy by a writer who neither knows how to write for comic books nor understands Jon's or "Ian's" personalities, period, is no proper substitute.

And I primarily blame DiDio (and Harras whenever I remember that he's working at DC) - he obviously wanted little Jon gone. Most likely Bendis saved him from Chris Kent's fate (at least for the time being) by pitching him for his Legion. Well, either this or DiDio & co. felt their hands tied by Jon's popularity until this "great" idea.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

So, in sum:

There's still a lot of interpretation and subjectivity within that - what's "engaging", "inclusive", "needless", "core" or "turn their back on." a lot of room for interpretation and in terms of this Legion, nothing's been released yet, and some fans of the franchise have already written it off.

Incredible Member

So, comparing this to the color version previously posted...
    1) The cat-guy perched on Colossal Boy's shoulder shows a little better here. Kind of middle just above Kamandi. New, male version of Catspaw?
    2) The bald guy that was on the right of the color picture, that some identified as Invisible Kid, also shows a little better here. Just above OMAC, to the right of Matter-Eater Lad. I'm sticking with my theory that the costume lends itself more to him being Karate Kid.
    3) The pink-ish lady in front of Colossal Boy in the color pic, located here between Booster's leg and OMAC's arm. Costume design similar to Projectra?
    4) I don't see the Doctor Fate look-alike in this shot.
    5) Upper left, just above Batman Beyond. Pretty much confirms a Lantern of some kind. Rond Vidar?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    So, comparing this to the color version previously posted...

2) The bald guy that was on the right of the color picture, that some identified as Invisible Kid, also shows a little better here. Just above OMAC, to the right of Matter-Eater Lad. I'm sticking with my theory that the costume lends itself more to him being Karate Kid.
    The bald Asian guy? I always assumed that was Karate Kid. Have to say that Ultra Boy looks much better in black & white. I'm not a fan of the new color scheme.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There's still a lot of interpretation and subjectivity within that - what's "engaging", "inclusive", "needless", "core" or "turn their back on." a lot of room for interpretation and in terms of this Legion, nothing's been released yet, and some fans of the franchise have already written it off.
    Unappealing art and designs and a writer who has a history of making questionable decisions when it comes to long standing properties. That is plenty enough of a reason to write something off if nothing you have seen or heard of this latest reboot sounds at all appealing. Why would you invest in a new series if everything you have seen and heard does not appeal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    How is this jon as concept's problem? The minute batman had a son and it worked.Comics rarely have anything original . So, Creation of sons in comics was cemented. He is a superson. His whole concept should be learning the ropes with his larger than life father.He should have been what jimmy was in the old days, albeit with superpowers. That position was and is still vacant. It is a very important part that has been missing for a long time. It provided a child's perspective of superman without any cynicism and angst. Now, superman doesn't have that. I don't get the feeling of wonder from anything Superman does. Personally, i would love it if jon is returned to what he was before. Go, form a team with damian or something .

What I said is that I hate Jon as a concept and since he is involved I have no choice to not be onboard. The original context being that other than him and giving Superman's history to him, I'd have had absolutely no other issues with the Legion designs. He's completely botching the Super-influence, and if not for that I'd have been otherwise very happy. That's all I was saying. If all the other stuff is how you feel, its how you feel, you're welcome to those opinions just as I am to my own, but it really has no bearing on the context of my original comment.

And I really don't see how I should have seen any of this coming. One, I came in not very familiar with Bendis's Marvel work. I came in clean. And indeed have liked many other things he's done while he's been here. Two, no one even knew when or if the Legion was coming back till a few months ago. So to see anything involving them and how they'd be integrated coming would have been virtually impossible. Only thing that people guessed right is the likelyhood that Jon would be a member if and when they came back. And that was just based on past history of how succceding members of the Super family followed in Superman's footsteps. No one could have guessed that Bendis would have made it so there are no footsteps to follow this time because Superman didn't even do any of this stuff anymore in continuity. Which I stand by is basically blasphemy to the mythos (and that I do blame on Bendis in particular, not just the existence of Jon).

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    And I primarily blame DiDio (and Harras whenever I remember that he's working at DC) - he obviously wanted little Jon gone. Most likely Bendis saved him from Chris Kent's fate (at least for the time being) by pitching him for his Legion. Well, either this or DiDio & co. felt their hands tied by Jon's popularity until this "great" idea.
    No one's hands were tied. If Didio really wanted to get rid of him he'd have just gotten rid of him. Believe me I wish he did do that. But there's zero evidence that's the case as if he really wanted to he could have just cut out the middle man and done it wih zero repercussions. So the idea this was a mandate from Didio holds no weight. The simplest explanation here is the most likely: Bendis had a pitch and they accepted it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-30-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The variant covers for Millennium #1 & 2

THE HYPE IS SO DAMN REAL!!!!!

Pretty stoked for this new "gold lantern" and I'm personally really happy that Jon Kent's new Superboy suit is still going forward as planned. It looks so damn good, and I'm really digging how it seems to have similarities with Mon-El's suit (he's between Kamandi and OMAC).

I'm genuinely thinking that Mon-El is a decedent of the House of El in the 32nd century. Making Jon his ancestor like Clark was to Kent Shakespeare and Laurel Kent. I mean, you'd have to explain the "El" in Mon-El if he's not going to have that name given to him by Clark, yes?

God, I can't wait to see this colored!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.