Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I really hope this takes off and is successful. DC Comics needs a Legion of Super Heroes team IMO. It looks creative and unique.

However, forever my Legion (sigh)

Where is this from. I had the issue as a kid and could look at it for hours, making my mind up about all the characters...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And I think if that's the case, it'll be time to leave DC behind for the time being, at least until the editorial regime changes.
    At this point, I'd rather that DC just scrap shared universe, and let each book be its own thing. Editorial's constant continuity changes have not served the company well in the long run. That's not to say that Batman can't appear in JLA or even Flash. But if he's currently got a broken leg in Detective Comics -- I dont' really need to see that in JLA. Get back to telling good stories and forget about events and crossovers!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Where is this from. I had the issue as a kid and could look at it for hours, making my mind up about all the characters...
    Legion of Super Heroes #300. Great issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    At this point, I'd rather that DC just scrap shared universe, and let each book be its own thing. Editorial's constant continuity changes have not served the company well in the long run. That's not to say that Batman can't appear in JLA or even Flash. But if he's currently got a broken leg in Detective Comics -- I dont' really need to see that in JLA. Get back to telling good stories and forget about events and crossovers!
    Tried that with DCYou. It ended up killing the New 52, sales dropped across the board and returned to their pre-New 52 levels. They’re never doing that again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think its just time for DC to clean house and get rid of the people who have made a mess of continuity and the creative and marketing sides of things. And its time we voted with our wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tried that with DCYou. It ended up killing the New 52, sales dropped across the board and returned to their pre-New 52 levels. They’re never doing that again.
    It was also just the fact that the New 52 as godawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think its just time for DC to clean house and get rid of the people who have made a mess of continuity and the creative and marketing sides of things. And its time we voted with our wallets.

It was also just the fact that the New 52 as godawful.
    Nah, sales for New 52 were still better than Pre-Flashpoint. DCYou is when sales fell back to what they were before the reboot.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So yeah, another rebooted Legion which I thought was happening anyway. We're gonna have to see how DC ends because John's might be rewriting some stuff. So far Saturn Girl is still an anomaly regarding this new reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    * The shorter, stockier Timber Wolf is a homage to Darick Robertson's shorter, stockier Wolverine that has fallen out of fashion because of the X-Men films.
    So Timber Wolf was the guy on the bottom right and not the one on Colossal Boy's shoulders?
    * Some of the costumes are still in flux specifically because as artist get a better feel for them in 3 dimension they adjust to accommodate (I have to image that's why Jon Kent's costume changed).
    So they might look better in motion then in sketches or still images.
    * Some aspects of characters costumes/design won't make sense to us now because there is a story behind those aspects for those characters (my guess is Matter Eater Lad is one of them)
    Be interesting to see how much thought Bendis put into this.
    * Bendis straight up confirms that the Doctor Fate looking character is in fact Doctor Fate.

* He also 100% confirms that they have a "Gold Lantern."
    From a future perspective I can see why there would be a Dr. Fate, but I dunno if he needs to be on the Legion.

I prefer the idea that the Lanterns all died out then there is currently a new one in the Legion era.

I also find it funny to think he would have such overpowered characters on the roster given his issues with writing those kinds of characters. Like, how much is Bendis' Fate going to get nerfed?
    * No one in any of his issues so far has brought up an election for leadership yet. (jokingly he brought up how often Legion elections were brought up in the old book)
    Which begs the question of who the current leader is.
    * The Legion book will have very large amount of subplots running under it to accommodate the 30 something characters and the world, but don't expect it all to be stuffed into the first issue (or any signal issue for that matter).
    I have to wonder how that's going to work out with how decompressed Bendis' writing is. He'd probably need a 100 issues just to address them all.,
    * Expect some characters to be serviced right away, and others to be gotten to down the line.
    Again, 100 issues .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah, sales for New 52 were still better than Pre-Flashpoint. DCYou is when sales fell back to what they were before the reboot.
    Oh man, I really don't wanna get too into this, but sales for the New 52 actually sunk back to Pre-Flashpoint levels about a year or so into it. Also, it didn't even help them gain significantly in market share. DC had 34% market share in 2010 and in 2013 they had 33%. By 2015, they had 27%

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Timber Wolf was the guy on the bottom right and not the one on Colossal Boy's shoulders?
    No. He's the stocky guy next to Matter-Eater Lad.

I prefer the idea that the Lanterns all died out then there is currently a new one in the Legion era.
    Weren't both Universo and his son Rond Vidar Green Lanterns in the 30th century? And wasn't the idea at one point that Green Lanterns were simply outlawed on Earth?

I also find it funny to think he would have such overpowered characters on the roster given his issues with writing those kinds of characters. Like, how much is Bendis' Fate going to get nerfed?
    Isn't Doctor Fate a superhero identity that almost always fluctuates in not just what it can do but also how powerful it is based on the incarnation? So, realistically speaking Bendis isn't really beholden to any past level of power simply because of the nature of the hero identity in question. "Nerf" wouldn't be the word because you're likely not talking about Kent, Khalid, Inza, Benjamin, Eric, Linda, or Hector. The only real constant is that they do magic. Bendis' version would be his version.

Which begs the question of who the current leader is.
    Safe bet is between Cos, Lightning Lad, or Saturn Girl. They're the ones that come to offer Jon the job. My person guess is Saturn Girl.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-02-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

No. He's the stocky guy next to Matter-Eater Lad.
    I'm not sure whether that's better or worse when I thought it was the other guy .
    Weren't both Universo and his son Rond Vidar Green Lanterns in the 30th century? And wasn't the idea at one point that Green Lanterns were simply outlawed on Earth?
    Most of the Legion stuff I've read, the GL's seem like nothing more then memory or legend like a lot of heroes. Until I think Mon-El became the first new one in Levitz' later Legion stuff.
    Isn't Doctor Fate a superhero identity that almost always fluctuates in not just what it can do but also how powerful it is based on the incarnation? So, realistically speaking Bendis isn't really beholden to any past level of power simply because of the nature of the hero identity in question. "Nerf" wouldn't be the word because you're likely not talking about Kent, Khalid, Inza, Benjamin, Eric, Linda, or Hector. The only real constant is that they do magic. Bendis' version would be his version.
    I think in comparison to past Fates he'll probably come off as nerfed. Or at best he'll be like Hector in Johns' JSA run where Nabu kept interfering or he had to keep being written out.

In my experience Bendis and magic characters don't mix well.
    Safe bet is between Cos, Lightning Lad, or Saturn Girl. They're the ones that come to offer Jon the job. My person guess is Saturn Girl.
    Probably a safe bet it's one of the founding trio .

Most of the Legion stuff I've read, the GL's seem like nothing more then memory or legend like a lot of heroes.
    In volume 3 issue 50 of Legion of Super-Heroes, Rond Vidar revealed himself to be an undercover GL. So it's not unheard of to have a Lantern allied with the Legion.

I think in comparison to past Fates he'll probably come off as nerfed. Or at best he'll be like Hector in Johns' JSA run where Nabu kept interfering or he had to keep being written out.
    This may be arguing semantics, but a "nerf" implies that the character in question was more powerful before, and has now become weaker. We're likely talking about different characters here. This would be better characterized as a new version of Doctor Fate that comes with their own set of strengths and weaknesses.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

In volume 3 issue 50 of Legion of Super-Heroes, Rond Vidar revealed himself to be an undercover GL. So it's not unheard of to have a Lantern allied with the Legion.
    Okay, so there's more precedent for it. Although I do prefer a setting without much of a Lantern presence, if at all.
    This may be arguing semantics, but a "nerf" implies that the character in question was more powerful before, and has now become weaker. We're likely talking about different characters here. This would be better characterized as a new version of Doctor Fate that comes with their own set of strengths and weaknesses.
    I think on average most people think Fate is pretty powerful, which is probably why he's used as sparingly as he is.

Was Green Lantern/Sodam Yat restarting the corps at the end of Legion of Three Worlds?

Okay, so there's more precedent for it. Although I do prefer a setting without much of a Lantern presence, if at all.
    Sure, nothing wrong with preferring something else.

I think on average most people think Fate is pretty powerful, which is probably why he's used as sparingly as he is.
    I think on average most people don't really have much of a preconceived notion of Doctor Fate past an obvious comparison to the more well known Doctor Strange or Zatana. Whatever the actual reason behind him being used so infrequently is, it doesn't really lend itself to any sort of defined idea about him or his ability in most people's minds.

With that in mind and the simple fact that this is a totally new character in a far-off setting, I don't really think this version of Fate has any sort of real pressure or expectation outside of, well, doing magic.