Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

I think what a lot of writers and artists don't realize is that the future aspect of the Legion was often more window dressing than anything else. The Legion was futuristic in the same gosh-wow way The Jetsons was. Paul Levitz developed things with some depth, but before then, alien races and future tech was really just sprinkled in to appeal to 10 year olds.

Leaning into alien-ness and unrelatable futureism misses the point of the Legion. The Legion's world should begin as a projection of our childhood fantasies about the future. You can build from there, but at its core, it should be a fun-future that draws you in rather than keeping you at arm's length.

I hope when Bendis writes these characters, he does so with some wit and charm so that they win us over.

As long as this is the 32nd Century Legion, and the original 31st Century team and history are not being replaced, I could warm up to this, but it will depend on Bendis's handling of the characters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is the biggest problem. There is not one design for this new series that is better than any of the previous looks, and when you have had has as many looks as the Legion characters have that is saying a lot. If your going to revamp a character at least make ti better than what came before. I mean just look at the way they updated Element Lad in the Nu52. It was different and modern but you could still look at it and go "yeah that's Element Lad". Now look at the new version who looks like a rotting zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, it's compare and contrast time again.

Here are the new designs by Ryan Sook below the classic originals. Which ones of these do you like better?

Well, there is no denying that the old version has higher quality art but that isn't saying much since most of the art that comes out today doesn't hold up against the old stuff.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Here are the new designs by Ryan Sook below the classic originals. Which ones of these do you like better?

First of all, that's just not fair - we had years with the first designs and got to know the characters when they looked like that. We've barely seen anything of this new incarnation.

And also, just going by look, I like Sook's Blok (the other one looks like he's wearing a giant diaper and why would he need big shoulderpads since he's so tough?), Sook's Element Lad just because that arrow on Cockrum's design always bothered me - it's from his crotch and what does that have to do with "Element Lad?", and Sook's Superboy (the red underpants on the outside has always been weird and I think the new Sboy is a pretty good modern update.

So, of these I pick Sook 3 out of the 7.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    First of all, that's just not fair - we had years with the first designs and got to know the characters when they looked like that. We've barely seen anything of this new incarnation.

And also, just going by look, I like Sook's Blok (the other one looks like he's wearing a giant diaper and why would he need big shoulderpads since he's so tough?), Sook's Element Lad just because that arrow on Cockrum's design always bothered me - it's from his crotch and what does that have to do with "Element Lad?", and Sook's Superboy (the red underpants on the outside has always been weird and I think the new Sboy is a pretty good modern update.

So, of these I pick Sook 3 out of the 7.
    At least let poor Blok have a neck .

Not sure how I feel about Element Lad's but I like the rest just fine. Dawnstar is a little overdesigned.

As someone who doesn’t know much about the Legion I’m willing to give this a shot. I like the new designs. The old ones are too “comic book super hero”. The new looks seem ok to me.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    As someone who doesn’t know much about the Legion I’m willing to give this a shot. I like the new designs. The old ones are too “comic book super hero”. The new looks seem ok to me.
    Well, aren't they supposed to? They are superheroes. They modelled themselves after superman. It doesn't get anymore "comic book super hero" than superman.

All-New Member

My first impression is that Matter-Eater Lad looks like Vartox on steroids. And Element Lad looks sort of like Brother Power the Geek.
    Vartox.jpg brother-power-the-geek-e2c98dac-c805-4806-8696-c71c14b7dc2-resize-750.jpg

I'm definitely a bit apprehensive, but I've loved the Legion in every incarnation for 35 years (admittedly some more than others). As long as there are actually good stories, I'll be here to stay.

Sook's. It's not even a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So far the best design is still Shadow Lass. Matter-eater Lad looks alright but I don't care for him, Dawnstar looks over designed and just so obvious it looks stereotypical, the rest are bleh. It seems like they are going over the top for the designs and tone. Still interested in where this is going.

*Edit- Forgot about Dream Girl. She doesn't look bad but it seems they're taking her in the Sandman route or hinting a connection there.
    If Dream Girl does now have a connection to The Sandman and The Dreaming I think that would actually be super cool. That would give her a lot more power potential. Plus it makes the name work beyond just being a play on a hot “dream girl”.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Aww, I just realized that Sook's Blok has two little turquoise dot eyes and a little rock mouth and nose, and now I love him lol

Last edited by Superlad93; 07-08-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If Dream Girl does now have a connection to The Sandman and The Dreaming I think that would actually be super cool. That would give her a lot more power potential. Plus it makes the name work beyond just being a play on a hot “dream girl”.
    I kind of really doubt they'd go that far with her here. The Endless isn't something I expect Bendis to touch on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Aww, I just realized that Sook's Blok two little turquoise dot eyes and little rock mouth and nose, and now I love him lol

That just kind of makes me think "poor Blok" .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Well, there is no denying that the old version has higher quality art but that isn't saying much since most of the art that comes out today doesn't hold up against the old stuff.
    I actually like the redesigns (except Element Lad).
    Dawnstar is a little busy, but otherwise I'm pretty happy.
    I definitely will be giving this a shot.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I kind of understand the accessibility argument, but at least for me, half the fun was diving in backwards and figuring it out for myself.
    "Too much history" is such a poor excuse. The hay day of the LSH, the 80s, was pre-Internet, pre-Comixology, and local comic book shops were rare. You found what you could in spinner racks at the grocery store, pharmacy, mini-mart, etc. You actually wanted to check out garage sales and flea markets, because you might find old issues or digests containing reprints of multiple issues. It was fun, it was rewarding, and the mystery and wonder enhanced your enjoyment.

Today? You've got local comic book shops, Comixology, and the Internet making it very easy to get caught up at least somewhat. So, if it wasnt a problem when it took serious effort to catch up, why is it a problem when it takes practically no effort at all? Either way, it has never been much of a problem or complaint about Marvel, and they don't have a big Crisis reboot or continuity tweak every so often. Everything they've published more or less happened and more or less counts. Heck, there are countless resources to be found just to help understand the Summers/Grey family tree, and that is easily the most confusing thing Marvel has.