Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm scared for what Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy might look like.
    Crap, now I'm scared.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I'm assuming that's Booster Gold in the cap. One thing's for sure - he's definitely been doing some major squats and lunges. Who is the artist on this?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This is true at some extent.

If you enter in a story with characters you don't know, the story should make you care about these characters. Or the reader will not be interested in looking for more information.

In the new Legion, DC and Bendis want new readers can enter in this and start to care about these characters from the beginning.
    That's why you have jon there to reintroduce legion to the new readers. They didn't have to strip legion and clark of their shared history to do it. Essentially, jon should have fulfilled the roll of new readers who have been thrust into the middle of this world of legion with a history and stories of the past. It would have been a win-win for both old and new readers
    But Now, we have a legion that's a shell. old readers won't care about them. Driving them away. There is a chance new readers won't stick around. Leaving Legion to its reboot cycle, again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's why you have jon there to reintroduce legion to the new readers. They didn't have to strip legion and clark of their shared history to do it. Essentially, jon should have fulfilled the roll of new readers who have been thrust into the middle of this world of legion with a history and stories of the past. It would have been a win-win for both old and new readers
    But Now, we have a legion that's a shell. old readers won't care about them. Driving them away. There is a chance new readers won't stick around. Leaving Legion to its reboot cycle, again.
    The screw the old loyal for some "possible and even if possible, possibly unloyal" new readers is a trap modern comic companies continue to make. It doesn't seem to reward loyalty and you risk franchise viability on a bet. I can't recall many instances where it worked out for the good. Even though the new 52 boosted sales for a minute, now it itself needs rebooting and some of the damage done to properties don't seem worth in long term, though for a hot minute it probably had the money guys at DC drooling. The problem is you can only kill Superman so many times and which each successive time it loses more and more effect so if you are going to do it, do it right because some bells can't be repeatedly rung. The reboot the Legion for the ego of the next writer or artist is a disservice, back in the day writers had to deal with continuity and so did readers. If you make the reader invest the time that will increase their loyalty to the franchise. Easy access is also easily discarded.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

In the new Legion, DC and Bendis want new readers can enter in this and start to care about these characters from the beginning.
    The problem with this is if you do it wrong you end up losing the long time fans in the process. The long time fans are the ones that keep a book going in the long run as new fans are much more fickle these days following writers more than characters. The Legion lost long time fans with the first Reboot. It lost more long time fans with the Threeboot. Everytime you go for a radical new approach you lose more of the people who support the title in the hard times as well as the good. The new fans by and large don't stick around in the long run.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm assuming that's Booster Gold in the cap. One thing's for sure - he's definitely been doing some major squats and lunges. Who is the artist on this?
    Nicola Scott.

She draws the best man-ass in the biz!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    The screw the old loyal for some "possible and even if possible, possibly unloyal" new readers is a trap modern comic companies continue to make. It doesn't seem to reward loyalty and you risk franchise viability on a bet. I can't recall many instances where it worked out for the good. Even though the new 52 boosted sales for a minute, now it itself needs rebooting and some of the damage done to properties don't seem worth in long term, though for a hot minute it probably had the money guys at DC drooling. The problem is you can only kill Superman so many times and which each successive time it loses more and more effect so if you are going to do it, do it right because some bells can't be repeatedly rung. The reboot the Legion for the ego of the next writer or artist is a disservice, back in the day writers had to deal with continuity and so did readers. If you make the reader invest the time that will increase their loyalty to the franchise. Easy access is also easily discarded.
    I understand you don't like the way DC handle things, but they will really need new readers in the future.

As many said in this topic, DC comic stories are ongoing and endless. So, they really need new readers for the future, since old readers won't be forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem with this is if you do it wrong you end up losing the long time fans in the process. The long time fans are the ones that keep a book going in the long run as new fans are much more fickle these days following writers more than characters. The Legion lost long time fans with the first Reboot. It lost more long time fans with the Threeboot. Everytime you go for a radical new approach you lose more of the people who support the title in the hard times as well as the good. The new fans by and large don't stick around in the long run.
    The thing is the Legion can't depend of old fans to mantain an ongoing at this point, since the current fanbase is pretty small.

You can blame the bad handle of DC for this, but that doesn't change the current situation.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-10-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Okay a lot is happening with these new designs. Dawny looks like an 80's cartoon stereotype of a native american, (Spirit wings? Really?) what have they done to Blok, he almost looks like a Talus from breath of the wild. Being sexy has always been Dreamy's thing, but she's a naked girl made of sand. I suppose the only Matter that M.E.L's been eating is protean. I shudder to think of what they're going to Phantom girl and Ultra Boy.

Astonishing Member

I understand you don't like the way DC handle things, but they will really need new readers in the future.

As many said in this topic, DC comic stories are ongoing and endless. So, they really need new readers for the future, since old readers won't be forever.

The thing is the Legion can't depend of old fans to mantain an ongoing at this point, since the current fanbase is pretty small.

You can blame the bad handle of DC for this, but that doesn't change the current situation.
    Konja I don't disagree that new fans are needed but I am of the opinion that rebooting and dumbing down a product for the masses isn't the best way to build a lasting profitable entity. HBO didn't dumb down Game of Thrones for accessibility they put a deep quality product out there and the masses moved toward it even though it wasn't obvious or easily understood and predicted. In fact the fact that it wasn't was part of it's charm. If a reader is just given a well written book they can catch on eventually or they can do research. I didn't start the Legion from the beginning but it was always easy enough to catch on and the stuff I wanted more info on I researched, which increased my love for the book. I prefer the Geoff John's version, not a reboot just getting the Legion from the end of say Magic Wars as the defacto Legion, maybe incorporating some of the reboot's adventures and characters either during the hiatus or brought along as new recruits. It is what it is with Bendis right now but the reboot for new readers is a real pet peeve of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Okay a lot is happening with these new designs. Dawny looks like an 80's cartoon stereotype of a native american, (Spirit wings? Really?) what have they done to Blok, he almost looks like a Talus from breath of the wild. Being sexy has always been Dreamy's thing, but she's a naked girl made of sand. I suppose the only Matter that M.E.L's been eating is protean. I shudder to think of what they're going to Phantom girl and Ultra Boy.
    I honestly would not have even been worried about Phantom Girl with how simple her design is until I saw what they were doing with the Legion now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Konja I don't disagree that new fans are needed but I am of the opinion that rebooting and dumbing down a product for the masses isn't the best way to build a lasting profitable entity. HBO didn't dumb down Game of Thrones for accessibility they put a deep quality product out there and the masses moved toward it even though it wasn't obvious or easily understood and predicted. In fact the fact that it wasn't was part of it's charm. If a reader is just given a well written book they can catch on eventually or they can do research. I didn't start the Legion from the beginning but it was always easy enough to catch on and the stuff I wanted more info on I researched, which increased my love for the book. I prefer the Geoff John's version, not a reboot just getting the Legion from the end of say Magic Wars as the defacto Legion, maybe incorporating some of the reboot's adventures and characters either during the hiatus or brought along as new recruits. It is what it is with Bendis right now but the reboot for new readers is a real pet peeve of mine.
    I really doubt the complexity of the worlds and stories is what they try to avoid. I suspect this new Legion will have a lot of new stories and worlds for their characters.

It's more that these new stories would be tell in the new comic. So, new readers will care about the characters, since they start to know their stories there.

It would be good if a story make us care about the characters without know their past stories. However, I don't think this concept would work for a Bendis book

Of course, I understand you don't like the changes or the idea of old stories won't count for this new version.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-10-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Nicola Scott.

She draws the best man-ass in the biz!
    How can that be? She's never seen mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly would not have even been worried about Phantom Girl with how simple her design is until I saw what they were doing with the Legion now.
    Its almost like Micheal Bay's transformers, they're so needlessly overdesigned, if this is what they do to the human-shaped legionnaires, what are they going to do with characters like Gates and Telos?

At least we have the Phantom Girl in the Terrifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Its almost like Micheal Bay's transformers, they're so needlessly overdesigned, if this is what they do to the human-shaped legionnaires, what are they going to do with characters like Gates and Telos?

At least we have the Phantom Girl in the Terrifics.
    I’m not even sure Newer characters like them will even be on This team. Do we have a roster of some kind?
    Last edited by protege; 07-10-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I’m not even sure Newer characters like them will even be on This team. Do we have a roster of some kind?
    I believe it's...

1. A grown up Jon
    2. Pink transported to the future and given Saturn Girl's name (and a descendant of Halo made her a costume)
    3. David Cassidy grown up and sent to the future as Lightning Lad
    4. Puck from Glee sent to the future to be Cosmic Boy
    5. Brainiac 5.5
    6. An interesting looking Shadow Lass that somewhat reminds me of Nox (New Olympians)
    7. A Chameleon Boy not ashamed to flaunt being alien
    8. A Wildfire that looks decent
    9. A Blok that I swore I've seen in a F2P mobile game somewhere
    10. Dani Moonstar after Apokolips turned her into the avatar of Death... oh, I mean Dawnstar
    11. Clayface IV... I mean Sandface... No, I mean Dream Girl (well she at least now matches Thom's JSA look)
    12. Brother Power the Geek cloned and renamed Element Lad
    13. One of the forgotten Masters of the Universe characters brought back to be Matter-Eater Lad
    And at least 19 others, most of which appear to be on the cover to #2.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.