Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I have wanted the Legion back for so long but this is feeling a lot like a reboot and they have failed more often than not. I am not a fan of Bendis.I would prefer the John's approach, taking the preboot legion and tell their further adventures. I don't want to see RJ Brande saved again or worse yet, another version of the Great Darkness saga, none of which hold a candle to the original.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Ultimately, I have my doubts about yet another reboot. We've had so many versions already.

Classic/Retroboot
    5YL & SW6
    Post Zero Hour (Archie Legion)
    Threeboot

Depending on how you count them, this is either the 5th version of the Legion or the 7th version of the Legion. While I'd prefer the Retroboot LSH, letting Bendis reboot it is probably for the best. The man shows little to know respect for past characterization, so a clean slate is to his advantage.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This was beautiful to look at, but felt like it just ended midway through the story. I guess this one was written for the trade.

Astonishing Member

I really liked it. I am in...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it depends on whether he turns it around by the end of the storyline, although I think we'll never know what Johns exactly envisioned with Rebirth and how that was intended to be realized before DC Editorial did what DC Editorial does.
    Kind of how I feel. I just have trouble believing that the character who has been in the background since Rebirth #1 has been hinted at having a big role and a huge link with Superman's story and the DCU as a whole was meant to always be a gigantic red herring. No frigging way.

As for Jonathan, I would have loved him in the Legion, if he hadn't been aged up and had us and Supes miss the fun of seeing him grow up. But NOPE. Had to ruin Super sons, had to ruin the family dynamic that was the most interesting thing to happen in superman in decades, had to just toss it all for whatever reason. I'll still check out millenium, but not particularly hopeful.

I like Andrea Sorrentino's artwork on the Kamandi section of Legion: Millennium. I would like to her work on the regular title at some point.

Well, I liked this issue of Legion : Millenium. Turns out Rose and Thorns were really likeable characters, I honestly wasn't sure they would be. I'm not sure I recognized all the futures in the book however : I guess President Supergirl is the closest to the present (something of an in between now and Batman Beyond?), and then there was the post-Great Disaster of Kamandi (around the 23d Century? 24th? Even before?), then the 25th Century (I think?). Or am I arranging the eras wrongly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Infectious Lass View Post
    I like Andrea Sorrentino's artwork on the Kamandi section of Legion: Millennium. I would like to her work on the regular title at some point.
    I wouldn't presume to know how Sorrentino self-identifies, but Andrea's a guy, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Infectious Lass View Post
    Just about all of his monthly work has been with Jeff Lemire. They've done runs on Green Arrow and Old Man Logan, as well as a creator owned series at Image called Gideon Falls. If you like his work with Bendis they did the Secret Wars Old Man Logan series as well as a few issues here and there during Bendis' X-Men run.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Has anyone seen the reviews for this issue?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.

I wasn't thrilled with it. It's unknown as to whether or not the chapters are in time order or if there are time jumps going on. Is this a future history of DC, or just Bendis' take on ideas. The series so far has been just an examination of the mystery character's travails through the future without a lot of detail.

As far as the Legion is concerned, nothing about them in the 1st issue. Seem a waste of five bucks to me.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's a shame because Levitz's run is so good. If you want to check out a more modern run, though, I've heard nothing but good things about Abnett and Lanning's run from the early 2000s, especially their Legion Lost miniseries. They're available as collections on Comixology.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Reboot Legion also known as the Post-Zero Hour or Archie Legion. No prior info needed easy to jump in.
    Seems like these are the best answers - and I think that reading the 80s runs wouldn't really be too difficult for me! It's most things from before the 80s that I struggle with. Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into these!
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Kind of how I feel. I just have trouble believing that the character who has been in the background since Rebirth #1 has been hinted at having a big role and a huge link with Superman's story and the DCU as a whole was meant to always be a gigantic red herring. No frigging way.

As for Jonathan, I would have loved him in the Legion, if he hadn't been aged up and had us and Supes miss the fun of seeing him grow up. But NOPE. Had to ruin Super sons, had to ruin the family dynamic that was the most interesting thing to happen in superman in decades, had to just toss it all for whatever reason. I'll still check out millenium, but not particularly hopeful.
    I agree with you. The younger version was very fresh. I'm not a big fan of young super-heroes, but it is what is is -- fiction. I guess, though, that it would be odd for a group of young adults to induct a member who is not even in puberty yet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I wouldn't presume to know how Sorrentino self-identifies, but Andrea's a guy, FYI.
    Yes, Andrea is a male name in Italy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree with you. The younger version was very fresh. I'm not a big fan of young super-heroes, but it is what is is -- fiction. I guess, though, that it would be odd for a group of young adults to induct a member who is not even in puberty yet.
    Age him up a bit if need be, but 17? Without any real human interaction for all that time outside of being tortured by Ultraman? Just kills the character.