Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Also now I kind of want to see a space focused series focused on the modern day incarnation of the United Planets forming. DoesnÂ’t have to be Green Lanterns, Superman, or Justice League Odyssey, just something interesting that may play with a new intergalactic government system that we the readers know will one day get itself working.
    The closest thing to that seems to be Bendis' Superman post-Unity Saga.

spoilers:
    You see, Clark is apparently going to be elected the first President of Earth. As we know, that means him dealing directly with the fledgling UP. Funny enough, Bendis seems to have been inspired by Johns' Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes because Dawnstar and Wildfire explain to Clark that he help broker peace deals and negotiations that lead to the United Planets. And since Superman, Supergirl, and Superboy directly say that will be part of the UP's deal, it seems like we'll be getting some of that. Plus, Superman is supposed to the the "cosmic" book out of Bendis two Superman related titles, so likely expect it to regularly come back to the new UP. We're likely to even get the UP embassy in Metropolis.
    end of spoilers
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Their costumes do look New 52-ish now that you mention it.

From the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sook
    I sort of hate the idea of "redesigns" because the existing material doesn't need redesign. It's great as it is. But to enter into the enormous potential of the Legion and imbue it with a contemporary and relevant life, you have to do what the previous innovators and creators did, endeavor to do something new! No it can't ever be the same again, but it can be better than it's ever been! That is my approach! It has to be.
    Now I pretty much agree with Sook here. Unfortunately I don't think what he has done here is making it better than it has ever been. I like Sook's art but I don't think he has succeeded here. Having one artist redesign everything at once is not a good thing for a team of this size as no matter what it is hard not to have the designs end up being a bit too similar to each other losing the uniqueness. What they should have done was to have a number of artists come up with new designs and then chosen from those designs so that there would be greater variety. Also as others have said sometimes (or even often) a simple design works better than a more complicated one and some of these designs look a bit too busy (like a lot of the New 52 designs) and will need to be simplified over time.

Here's DC's official synopsis of the first issue...

"Welcome to the 31st century! Inspired by the acts of and lessons learned from the greatest heroes of all time, the Legion of Super-Heroes have gathered together to stop a galaxy from repeating its past mistakes. The greatest lineup of heroes in comic book history returns with new, fresh, and reader-friendly stories! Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Michael Bendis reteams with master artist Ryan Sook (Action Comics) for one of the most ambitious mainstream comic books ever created! Why have the Legion of Super-Heroes broken the cardinal rule of the United Planets and inducted Jon Kent, a.k.a. Superboy, into the Legion? What are they hiding? And what does it have to do with Aquaman’s long-lost trident?"

Excerpt from article: 'There have always been people that were like, “I’ve heard about the Legion but where do you start?” Well, you don’t have to worry about that because the way it lines up, the Legion has actually never appeared in the DC Universe. When you read their first appearance, that’s actually the first time Superman is meeting them or anybody. Their first appearance will be in Superman #14 and #15, so you’ll meet them along with the Superman family. The Legion will have a big offer and the offer will then generate where we’re headed which is a future where excitement awaits.'

Well, there you have it. This has to be a complete reboot. This disregards past events and continuity. I'm guessing this is where the Doomsday Clock delays are coming from. Johns probably has to rewrite stuff.

This sucks honestly. I'm tired of the Legion having to constantly reboot. I'm still interested but this franchise is a whole mess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I’m not a fan of bouncing boy in general, so this doesn’t bother me. On the face of it, this new series doesn’t lend itself to the former legionaires pairings, so we’ll be covering new ground here.

I am not a fan of Superman's first meeting the Legion being in Bendis' run. Superman should first meet the Legion as a teenager in my opinion. The only acceptable alternative for me is if he met them as a teenager and they made him forget.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    From the article:

Now I pretty much agree with Sook here. Unfortunately I don't think what he has done here is making it better than it has ever been. I like Sook's art but I don't think he has succeeded here. Having one artist redesign everything at once is not a good thing for a team of this size as no matter what it is hard not to have the designs end up being a bit too similar to each other losing the uniqueness. What they should have done was to have a number of artists come up with new designs and then chosen from those designs so that there would be greater variety. Also as others have said sometimes (or even often) a simple design works better than a more complicated one and some of these designs look a bit too busy (like a lot of the New 52 designs) and will need to be simplified over time.
    It's kind of weird to see him say that they don't need to be redesigned, and are great as is, considering how dramatic some of the visual revamps have been for this Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So why flip Lightning Lad and Bouncing Boy? Because Lightning Lad's the bigger name? Or they didn't want the "fat" one to be the main black member?

(Even though black heroes with lightning powers is pretty cliche'd by this point).
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Here's DC's official synopsis of the first issue...

"Welcome to the 31st century! Inspired by the acts of and lessons learned from the greatest heroes of all time, the Legion of Super-Heroes have gathered together to stop a galaxy from repeating its past mistakes. The greatest lineup of heroes in comic book history returns with new, fresh, and reader-friendly stories! Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Michael Bendis reteams with master artist Ryan Sook (Action Comics) for one of the most ambitious mainstream comic books ever created! Why have the Legion of Super-Heroes broken the cardinal rule of the United Planets and inducted Jon Kent, a.k.a. Superboy, into the Legion? What are they hiding? And what does it have to do with Aquaman’s long-lost trident?"

Sounds like this Legion will be less Superman-centric and more "all around DC Universe" centric.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Excerpt from article: 'There have always been people that were like, “I’ve heard about the Legion but where do you start?” Well, you don’t have to worry about that because the way it lines up, the Legion has actually never appeared in the DC Universe. When you read their first appearance, that’s actually the first time Superman is meeting them or anybody. Their first appearance will be in Superman #14 and #15, so you’ll meet them along with the Superman family. The Legion will have a big offer and the offer will then generate where we’re headed which is a future where excitement awaits.'

Well, there you have it. This has to be a complete reboot. This disregards past events and continuity. I'm guessing this is where the Doomsday Clock delays are coming from. Johns probably has to rewrite stuff.

This sucks honestly. I'm tired of the Legion having to constantly reboot. I'm still interested but this franchise is a whole mess.
    It's the same problem I have with what they seem to be doing with the JSA. Basically starting from scratch again.

At least Garth's still ginger...kinda.

I am of two minds about reboots. On one hand, they're a good jumping on point for new readers, and lo as I am to admit, the Legion fanbase needs to grow, on the other hand though, I kind of see them as an insult to the intelligence to the audience, I honestly believe that fans are smart enough to connect the dots themselves and they don't need their hands held.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I am of two minds about reboots. On one hand, they're a good jumping on point for new readers, and lo as I am to admit, the Legion fanbase needs to grow, on the other hand though, I kind of see them as an insult to the intelligence to the audience, I honestly believe that fans are smart enough to connect the dots themselves and they don't need their hands held.
    The X-Men began about 5 years after the Legion first appeared and has about as many members, a much more convoluted history and yet we haven't really seen them fully rebooted yet. You just need to write the stories so that you don't necessarily NEED all the backstory but it just gives some added flavor if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So why flip Lightning Lad and Bouncing Boy? Because Lightning Lad's the bigger name? Or they didn't want the "fat" one to be the main black member?
    I'm wondering if part of the reason for the switch for Lightning Lad is that they figured they'd like to keep the twin dynamics and Light Lass had already been made black.

Speaking of fat ones I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Matter-Eater Lad's new look. I think having a guy who could practically eat anything be a skinny dude was a lot more interesting than making him a big guy.