Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    To be honest the only look I actively dislike is Cham's.

I am assuming Saturn's Girl look is deliberately sexless and Braniac's look just screams "Non-Combatant!".

This could work.

I hope.
    The green and purple combined with cham's skin is a little too much. I didn't like Saturn girl's 70's space bikini either, it made no sense given her character, but her later outfits were nice, here she looks like an olympic bobsledder. I kind of miss Brainy's outfit with the Jacket. Shadow Lass looks good though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Some of my favorite looks where

yeah Blok could use an upgrade and I prefer Jeckie's Sensor Girl look but these are the iconic best looks for the rest of them. This version of Lightning Lad's is the best of him ever and one of my favorite designs in all of comicdom vastly superior to the Sook look. The only Sook redesign I don't mind is the Shadow Lass one it is a cool update.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Some of my favorite looks where

Honestly, I think this is my favorite line-up - to include Superboy.

No offense to Invisible Kid II, White Witch, or Polar Boy & Company, but this is classic Legion IMO.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The green and purple combined with cham's skin is a little too much. I didn't like Saturn girl's 70's space bikini either, it made no sense given her character, but her later outfits were nice, here she looks like an olympic bobsledder. I kind of miss Brainy's outfit with the Jacket. Shadow Lass looks good though.
    Brainy's new outfit is not something he would choose. Maybe Nura dressed him.

Cham's lime green is a bit much. Besides, the combination of green and purple should be reserved for Brainy.

I agree on Shady's look.

I think Shadow Lass is the only redesign that people overwhelmingly like.

I really loved Gary Frank’s LoS redesigns. They weren’t too drastic. Just more modern takes on the classic costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Shadow Lass is the only redesign that people overwhelmingly like.
    There's nothing that feels very LoSH about these new designs. To me the LoSH are a celebration of the Silver Age and superheroes in general, it informs their looks, style, etc that gives a timelessness to them. These designs feel very fan art to me, like someone trying to stylize them to fit a New 52 "modern" book. A lot of these designs already look dated to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    There's nothing that feels very LoSH about these new designs. To me the LoSH are a celebration of the Silver Age and superheroes in general, it informs their looks, style, etc that gives a timelessness to them. These designs feel very fan art to me, like someone trying to stylize them to fit a New 52 "modern" book. A lot of these designs already look dated to me.
    I think the "timelessness" of the Silver Age style Legion designs is really just related to whether or not you have a specific fondness for that era and aesthetic. The older Legion designs always looked dated to me. Intentionally dated, sure, but intentionally dated is still dated.

It seems to me the Legion's styling should come from the era that inspired them. If this were the Nu52 version of the team, inspired by the trunkless Superman and Batman and the heroes with all the extraneous lines on their costumes, then it would make sense. But they've since dialed back on that aesthetic so Sook should have followed suit I guess. But then it's easy to say they were still "inspired by" the past but can't divorce themselves from 32nd century culture. I'm ultimately fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think the "timelessness" of the Silver Age style Legion designs is really just related to whether or not you have a specific fondness for that era and aesthetic. The older Legion designs always looked dated to me. Intentionally dated, sure, but intentionally dated is still dated.
    When I think LoSH I think Levitz and those designs. The other reboots /relaunches with them that came later were generally meh to me but nothing was as bad as these new ones.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Well, as I've said before, I think most of the designs are good. I can see how they might not fit the classic vibe of the Legion and how that'd be a problem for long-time fans, but I think they're mostly good designs on their own merits.

That being said, if they don't feel right for the LoSH to you... I can't really help with that. I'm not here to say that's not a valid position, because it is, and I've been there before. It just isn't a problem for me here.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    yeah Blok could use an upgrade and I prefer Jeckie's Sensor Girl look but these are the iconic best looks for the rest of them. This version of Lightning Lad's is the best of him ever and one of my favorite designs in all of comicdom vastly superior to the Sook look. The only Sook redesign I don't mind is the Shadow Lass one it is a cool update.
    I don't dislike Projectra's costume, but Sensor Girl is an all-time great superhero costume, so I agree with you there. Of course she has to actually go through what made her Sensor Girl to get that costume...

(Suddenly remembering the time Jeckie executed Nemesis Kid. She's one of the more fascinating Legionnaires, both monarch and superhero, but she never seems like she has much of a fanbase despite being a major player in late classic Legion stories.)

Anyway, I love the Legion but refuse to read Bendis comics. This news saddens me. Somebody tell me Bendis's DC work isn't as bad as his Marvel stuff. His X-Men was universally reviled (exaggerating I know) and LoSH is a similar property (giant cast, giant shadow cast by classic stories in the 70s and 80s) and I am anticipating bad results.

Astonishing Member

Projectra has gotten the short stick ever since the original Legion ended and Giffen took over with his 5YL stories. Projectra barely appeared in those stories. That was a shame because of how the character was elevated during Levitz's run. And honestly, she always had the potential to be a more formidable character -- but writers didn't showcase her powers. Then in Reboot, she was a charming snake. In Threeboot, she was a spoiled, possibly traiterous pricess. When the real Projectra finally returned, we weren't sure if she was delusional or not (seeing a young Karate Kid that no one else could see).

I also liked the idea of her being a mediaval princess in a futuristic setting. In many ways, I find the less-used characters the most interesting. Really get tired of the focus being on the first three and Brainy.

Ultimate Member

Projectra was cool, as an illusionist *and* a fish-out-of-water in the ultra-tech 30th century (allowing her to be the one they have to 'explain' their tech to, for the readers convenience, even though they all grew up with it and it would make as much sense as me stopping to explain how combustion engines work every time I got in my car). Illusion-casting is a classic power, and yet one that rarely shows up on hero teams, being more likely to show up in villains like Mastermind (over at Marvel).

The Legion in general had the advantage, due to it's size, that not everybody had to be a 'Tank' or 'Blaster' or 'Scrapper,' balanced to be 'useful' in all sorts of situations, but there could be some oddballs doing crowd-control type roles (darkness generation, for instance) or having powers like precognition as stand-alone powers, making them quite specialized. I love playing crowd-control characters in online games, or support characters, so it's fun to see the occasional Legionnaire who has powers that wouldn't really cut it on the Justice League. "She walks though walls? And? No, really, that's it? J'ohn can do that, and has all of Superman's powers, *and* is a shapeshifter, *and* is a telepath, *and* can turn invisible... Oh wait, you've got another Legionnaire who can literally only turn invisible?"

Astonishing Member

I think one reason the looks of the Legion are such a big talking point goes back to Dave Cockrum. Let's face it -- Silver Age Legion was dull as dishwater. Their uniforms were largely based on Superman's -- trunks, belt, boots and an icon the chest. Cockrum used mostly a mod (late 60s/early 70s fashion trend) to update the Legion. Mini skirts and hot pants were very in fashion for young women then -- and the Legion ladies reflected that. Interestingly, one of his favorite characters -- Phantom Girl -- was dressed fairly conservatively -- as was Shrinking Violet. It didn't hurt that Cockrum was also an excellent and imaginative artist (inking most his own work on Legion). Although his stay was short, his contributions lived on a long time after he departed -- and helped make the Legion popular again.

But those outfits were of a particular time and place. I never expected those to return (well, maybe Lightning Lads' -- just because it's a bit timeless), but I do like when modern day artist incorporate elements of Cockrum's designs. Modern designers are in a precarious position -- some fans like outfits that look more like uniforms -- and could be worn in real life. Others want more fantastical looks -- being that superheroes do not exist in real life-- outlandish outfits pop on the comics page. I guess Sook is trying to appeal to both sides. Also, I would assume that Bendis had some input regarding their new looks. Maybe that's why Brainy looks so wimpy and Imra looks neutered.