Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Not a fan of trying to connect all possible futures into one story. They work because they are, more or less, separate from each other.
    I have the same reservation, I'm hoping they're defined in-story as their own separate futures, not necessarily the same timeline (but not necessarily confirmed not to be), not one "canon" future timeline. The randomness of doing future stories is a large part of the appeal in the first place. I don't really want it concretely mapped out. Not saying it can't and won't change afterward, but don't even bother trying.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Oh god those character designs for the Legion look so bad. That Chameleon look like he is straight out of the animated series from a few years ago. The only one that even looks half good is the Shadow Lass the rest are just horrible. Sook's art just look so basic even in the preview compared to Scott and Cheung. I would be so exicted if either one of those artists was on the new Legion book, but not Sook.
    I love Sook's art, but I don't recall ever seeing character designs from him before. These don't get me super excited.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    The designs look alright to me. Besides maybe Saturn Girl which looks a little dull.
    and butch.

Mighty Member

I love Shadow Lass and Cosmic Boy's designs! Garth would look fine with different hair.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The only future that is really hard to fit into one time line is Kamandi, and even then there have been many times when the Legion has mentioned a major catastrophe that happened sometime between the modern day and their time which was why some records of the past were lost. Batman Beyond and Booster Gold's times can easily fit into one time line with the Legion, but Omac and Kamandi are a hard fit. If they happend in the same timeline what happened to all the talking animals from Kamandi, and why have they never shown up in the Legions time?

They could say that the events of Kamandi took place in just one small part of the world and the rest was just a devastated world full of humans, and they were able to rebuild civilization by the time Legion takes place. A devastated humanity rebuilding from scratch would also go a long way to explaining why the human race is not as advanced as you would think they would be in 1000 years too if they have only been rebuilding for 200 or 300 years. Batman beyond is not that far into the future and Booster comes from the mid 25th century so if they set Kamandi and Omac in the 26th or 27th century then that would still give them time to have humanity back on its feet by the 31st century.

I'm pretty excited about all of it.

While the old school part of me wishes the looks would never change, I also remember when the costumes and hairstyles were updated in the 70's by Cockrum & Grell, and the Legion suddenly became a sexy new property again. The Legion also has a long history of updating hairstyles to reflect modern times...and this is no different.
    While I don't love all of them (especially Imra's), it's how all the younger humans I know are cutting theirs so...I'm going to resist the temptation to scream out "you kids you!!!" The looks for Shady, Chameleon Boy, and Brainy are a little more alien but that's okay, probably what they are trying to lean into.

I'm not hung up on the "Bendis is writing" aspect that is concerning some folks. His line of Wonder Comics has been capturing the fun and youthful appeal of the younger DCU, so maybe Legion will get to be a fun enjoyable book instead of a grimdark Bat book. Staying hopeful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    and butch.

Butch? How so?

Fantastic Member

Beyond excited. Bit worried about the sales. FF return did good in terms of sales. I wish the same for the Legion. Bendis is not selling well as he used to be -but I don't think he is a bad writer by any means. I like his Sup-run, Event Leviathan first issue was cool, haven't read YJ yet. Let's please be positive about this launch. It is much missed and is deserving support.

Long Live the Legion! Finally. Excited about this announcement but I just wish Fraction was the writer. Designs are ok. Shadow Lass looks cool but Saturn Girl’s look is really boring. I much prefer Gary Frank’s redesigns. Really hope Timber Wolf plays a large role.

The only future that is really hard to fit into one time line is Kamandi, and even then there have been many times when the Legion has mentioned a major catastrophe that happened sometime between the modern day and their time which was why some records of the past were lost. Batman Beyond and Booster Gold's times can easily fit into one time line with the Legion, but Omac and Kamandi are a hard fit. If they happend in the same timeline what happened to all the talking animals from Kamandi, and why have they never shown up in the Legions time?

They could say that the events of Kamandi took place in just one small part of the world and the rest was just a devastated world full of humans, and they were able to rebuild civilization by the time Legion takes place. A devastated humanity rebuilding from scratch would also go a long way to explaining why the human race is not as advanced as you would think they would be in 1000 years too if they have only been rebuilding for 200 or 300 years. Batman beyond is not that far into the future and Booster comes from the mid 25th century so if they set Kamandi and Omac in the 26th or 27th century then that would still give them time to have humanity back on its feet by the 31st century.
    Isn’t this exactly what the recent Electric Warriors miniseries was, setting up Kamandi occurred and then leading into the Legion of Superheroes future.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Isn’t this exactly what the recent Electric Warriors miniseries was, setting up Kamandi occurred and then leading into the Legion of Superheroes future.
    I have no idea I never even heard of that mini. When did it come out?

I have no idea I never even heard of that mini. When did it come out?
    First issue came out in November of last year, final issue came out in April. It was written by Steve Orlando
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

As usual with relaunches, it's not how much they keep -- it's how much they change.

Storywise, we'll have to wait and see, but as far as the art, I like Ryan Sook's art, but I'm not a fan of these redesigns at all.

Some of Sook's designs are ok, but ok at best. None of the costume designs looks better than any previous design we've had.

I don't know if Saturn Girl looks "butch," but she does look genderless. When I first saw the costume as a thumbnail without the name, I thought it might be Element Lad.

Sometimes writers and artists get carried away with themselves and make changes just for the sake of making changes. It's like previous Legion iterations where Princess Projectra was a snake or Colossal Boy was a giant who had the power to shrink.

These changes add nothing and don't make anything better. It's just creators being self-indulgent. I have no doubt that we'll be seeing the full extent of Bendis's self-indulgences before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Long Live the Legion! Finally. Excited about this announcement but I just wish Fraction was the writer. Designs are ok. Shadow Lass looks cool but Saturn Girl’s look is really boring. I much prefer Gary Frank’s redesigns. Really hope Timber Wolf plays a large role.
    FWIW, so far I prefer these over Frank's designs - I really was not a fan of those, especially all the bare skin and a lot of the characters's hair styles.

What I am afraid of here is that the same thing that happened with the Waid 3boot is going to happen with the Bendis 4boot, and that is that fans of the Legion will not like this new take and will not buy it and the Bendis fans will only stick around as long as he does. Bendis fans who have never really read the Legion before will love his take and think its great just like all those fans Waid brought in with his 3boot. Meanwhile people who are just Legion fans and not writer fans will not which means that once Bendis leaves the sales will tank because his fans will leave with him and long time Legion fans won't care about the book anymore. I have seen this happen before so many times when a polarizing writer leaves and they get a new creative team on board even if they are great the fanbase at that point just doesn't care anymore.