Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Not needed anymore, see above post.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-09-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No word, and yet such condescending behavior.

I'm not even mad, it's amazing.
    I backtracked the post. Wasn't being condescending just in shock. And questioning what the true purpose of CBR forums is anymore.

You pretty much just openly admitted not liking American superhero comic books. The whole medium is and has been based on an on-going format since its creation. Yet your posting on a comic forum that is mostly about American Superhero Comic Books. To each his own but I'm still baffled.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I backtracked the post. Wasn't being condescending just in shock. And questioning what the true purpose of CBR forums is anymore.

You pretty much just openly admitted not liking American superhero comic books. The whole medium is and has been based on an on-going format since its creation. Yet your posting on a comic forum that is mostly about American Superhero Comic Books. To each his own but I'm still baffled.
    I do not like the structure, not the characters. And I hate "fans" who comes around and tell me that I can't enjoy this or that series/character without needing to read 40+ years old publications.

I'm French, I'm used to certain form of "comics" (French BD/manga) where such a thing is unneeded. Some can be very old now (Yoko Tsuno, Valerian et Laureline, One Piece, Detective Conan, etc.) but neither are necessary to read to understand more recent or different series, and each have an easy way in (even if sometimes I can be quite pricey to follow through, especially manga with dozens of tomes, sometimes over a hundred). I find such a thing vastly superior, but with its flaws, namely the lack of grandeur that comic universes can have. But, again, the structure is what I'm used to find better.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yes. I do.

Because I like stories, not never ending sentences which is basically what Marvel and most of DC Comics offer. Never-ending, auto-editing and correcting sentences. Not stories.

Stories have a beginning, a middle and an end. Marvel's have a start, a never-ending middle and no end in sight. Love it or hate it but Batman's New 52, Superman New 52, Wonder Woman new 52 had a beginning, a middle and an end. They are stories. All-Star Superman, no matter how much I hate it and, wish it had never been written is a story. Iron Man in the MCU has a story. Same with Captain America.
    No, they don't. Not all of them. hindu "purana"s don't. Some anicents ongoing civilizational tales don't. We are also always stuck in the "middle" or have to make sense of whole narrative starting from the assumed "middle". We are essentially dropped into this assumed "Middle" when we read our puranas.
    Similarly, We are reading about stories of world full of gods, men and demons. It's an american folk tale. some of which uses ancient archetypes, as old as written history. They don't have to have beginning or an ending. You just need to be interested in the world and narrative. know that going in you will be clueless and pickup stuff as you go along. Which easy in today's age. Honestly, it was pretty easy getting into comics for me. Maybe it's my background.
    Not all American comics need to be mangas. There are stories and comics like those that are suited for your tastes. These, especially legion are not like those. Their narrative is closely connected to superman's narrative. Superman's grand narrative is an ongoing. Every reboot to superman has been a mistake and only gutted the character. I will say the same for legion.
    Speaking of Japanese, don't they have shinto folk tales as well?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-09-2019 at 06:35 AM.

I do not like the structure, not the characters. And I hate "fans" who comes around and tell me that I can't enjoy this or that series/character without needing to read 40+ years old publications.

I'm French, I'm used to certain form of "comics" (French BD/manga) where such a thing is unneeded. Some can be very old now (Yoko Tsuno, Valerian et Laureline, One Piece, Detective Conan, etc.) but neither are necessary to read to understand more recent or different series, and each have an easy way in (even if sometimes I can be quite pricey to follow through, especially manga with dozens of tomes, sometimes over a hundred). I find such a thing vastly superior, but with its flaws, namely the lack of grandeur that comic universes can have. But, again, the structure is what I'm used to find better.
    I'm pretty sure no has said the bold. Ever. Most people just say its fun to go back and read the old stuff. But you don't have to, to enjoy it.

That or if your pushing an opinion on something you have no interest in actually understanding or even care to research then you probably shouldn't get a vote. Since that person clearly isn't really interested anyway. (Not saying you just an example)

Example:

Fan #1: Spider-Mans web should be organic. Its stupid that his webs come from a device.

Fan #2: Have you ever read Spider-Man? There is a reason behind it.

Fan #1: I read a few recent issues but I mostly just watch the cartoon and movies.

Fan #2: So you probably won't be reading either way?

Fan #1: I would if his web shooters where part of him.

Fan #1 though he has "interest" will never be a full fledge consumer of the medium. Why? Because he is not invested or truly interested. He claims that he is and to a extent he himself might think that he is. But he really isn't . When people want something in a free society they go out and they get it. There is no convincing, adjustments that need to be made, or anything else. They just go and be apart of it. Arbitrary things about characters, stories, structure, ect will not stop them.

The "barrier to entry" thing in comics is complete and total myth. Propagated by those who will never be buyers no matter what happens.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Yes. I do
    Have fun with that.

Element Lad and Wildstar's designs are the worst.
    That huge E on EL's costume is really fugly and I don't get why they ditch the Interlac. That's one of LoSH's coolest elements.
    Wildstar just looks like a stereotypical native American. Her most recent costumes were definitely better if a little too chesecake-y.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Element Lad and Wildstar's designs are the worst.
    That huge E on EL's costume is really fugly and I don't get why they ditch the Interlac. That's one of LoSH's coolest elements.
    Wildstar just looks like a stereotypical native American. Her most recent costumes were definitely better if a little too chesecake-y.
    I haven't seen Element Lad's new uni yet. The CBR feature only shows Blok, Matter Eater Lad, Dream Girl, Superboy and Dawnstar.

They have really pushed back on the LSH's pin up factor. At this rate only Phantom Girl might escape the de-sexification. I get why Saturn Girl wouldn't be sexy, but that was always Dream Girl's thing. Not anymore.

Based on Saturn Girl and Brainy, I thought at first that they were going for looks based on the character's personas but now I'm not even willing to give them any benefit of the doubt at all anymore.

I much as I hated the Archie Legion (yeah, I was one of the soreheads), I never thought the character designs were ugly.

How do you manage to make a Rock-man not look cool?

My cautious optimism is pretty much gone.

We lost Super-Sons for THIS?

Incredible Member

I don't mind Tenzil becoming muscle bound... but i wish he didn't look like he was 32.
    well, i hope his personality is intact.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The "barrier to entry" thing in comics is complete and total myth. Propagated by those who will never be buyers no matter what happens.
    If the "barrier to entry" is a myth, why there are so few new readers in superheroes comics.

The fact that DC or Marvel try to make stories more accessible for new readers (not that they actually achieve it) proves that they think a certain barrier exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If the "barrier to entry" is a myth, why there are so few new readers in superheroes comics.

The fact that DC or Marvel try to make stories more accessible for new readers (not that they actually achieve it) proves that they think a certain barrier exists.
    That's a easy one. There are few new readers because the quality of the content is at an all time low across the board.Even in the material they use. Can't tell you how many times I walked away from a book with ink on my hands when they were perfectly clean before reading.

To add to that the people in charge seem in able to capitalize on the current popularity of Superheroes without harming themselves in the long run.

There is a lot of short term gain culture in comics today and People aren't stupid. They see it and then reject it, and instead of acknowledging what they are doing may not be the best course of action the Big comic companies double down. Increasing their overall failure.

In short... if you are looking for what is going wrong start at the top and work your way down.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 09:48 AM.

The costumes are horrific.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Extraordinary Member

Dawnstar.....what have they done to you?!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    The costumes are horrific.
    I agree while the costumes are horrible i could live with that because costumes come and go. Bu changing the actual characters appearance that is something i'm not fond of. If you gonna do that just create a new future team of charcters. Element Lad looks like a human version of Chemo. Poor Blok the classic version is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think the new designs go too far out of the way to look 'alien', myself.
    Same here.

I mean, conceptually I kind of get why they would do that, but at the same time I think it's going end up making sure the designs don't stick in the long run.
    Yes. I do.

Because I like stories, not never ending sentences which is basically what Marvel and most of DC Comics offer. Never-ending, auto-editing and correcting sentences. Not stories.

Stories have a beginning, a middle and an end. Marvel's have a start, a never-ending middle and no end in sight. Love it or hate it but Batman's New 52, Superman New 52, Wonder Woman new 52 had a beginning, a middle and an end. They are stories. All-Star Superman, no matter how much I hate it and wish it had never been written is a story. Iron Man in the MCU has a story. Same with Captain America.
    So what you're saying is you're more a fun of specific runs of stories than the ongoing narrative of Superhero comic books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They have really pushed back on the LSH's pin up factor. At this rate only Phantom Girl might escape the de-sexification. I get why Saturn Girl wouldn't be sexy, but that was always Dream Girl's thing. Not anymore.
    I don't know if sexiness had anything to do with it. I mean, Dream Girl is basically naked now.