Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's one example (and a random one at that) when most of the time the Legion and their future looked like this

or this

or this

The majority of the time at least.

As you'll notice, the vast majority of characters are not just conventionally human in appearance, but also predominantly white. There was a very real sense of homogenization for anyone on the outside looking in.

And to be clear, this isn't bashing the old designs and look, or the fans of them. There's always the context of the time they were created to take into account of course. Sensibilities were limited. And no one's somehow a bad person or whatever for being used to the team looking one way because that's what they've grown up reading. But this is just pointing out what some perspective fans in 2019 are finding visually inviting about the new look of the team/concept.

It also helps that the picture is both diverse and the people in it are casually smiling, touching, and having what seems to be a good time.
    Except for the race changes i don't see a difference between these and the new designs.race change isn't a big deal for me. So, i don't mind if they are black or all white or mixed with varied ethnicities . Korath was saying they all are great now, since they don't look human. But, they don't look nonhuman even now. If he was insinuating other races are non human. then we got a problem and i don't agree with that. Since, i will be part of those.

And i know chameleon boy changes his appearance like manhunter to fit in. Most immigrants do that. For example, you don't see Scotsmen wearing their traditional kilt, an indian(country) wearing their dhoti or japanese wearing their kimono.. Etc all the time in America do you?no, they wear western clothes. But, they keep some parts of their culture by wearing some symbols like a bindi or sometimes some sort of hats.. Etc. And in some special occasions they wear their traditional clothings. Sikhs might be the only one's whose wardrobe, how they look are important. It is part of who they are fundamentaly and tied to their philosophy . So, they wear their turbans, kara(bracelet) , uncut hair.. Etc no matter where they go and what they do. So, chameleon boy changing his appearance is well within reason like manhunter.

Personally, This diversity thing sometimes feels like a circus that promotes another kind of racism and Bigotry. It basically "Oh! Look an asian, look!look! an indian. Yes we are diverse we got a black". It's great an all that they are making diverse group of characters. but, i don't feel its genuine sometimes. It feels like a phase or people showing of how culturally sensitive they are.They don't even portay the characters with those backgrounds sometimes in great way. But, hey! That is just me. It is getting political. I didn't want it to. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-27-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Except for the race changes i don't see a difference between these and the new designs.race change isn't a big deal for me. So, i don't mind if they are black or all white or mixed with varied ethnicities . Korath was saying they all are great now, since they don't look human. But, they don't look nonhuman even now. If he was insinuating other races are non human. then we got a problem and i don't agree with that. Since, i will be part of those.
    h
    I meant looking like actual aliens : A living Rock, a Living Flame, Chamelon Boy, that skeletal guy/gal, the one on Colossal Boy's shoulder, Dram Girl (the one leaning on Mon-El), the two between Colossal Boy and Block, Elemental lad, Shadow-Lass, that boy with his skin looking as if it was made of some metal, even that girl between the latter and Superboy, with the pink hair, eyes and marking on her brow. Even brainiac 5 and the purple girl behind him are great looking, if mostly(humans with another skin color). It appeals far more to my sci-fi vibes than "White dudes in spandew from the future).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    h
    I meant looking like actual aliens : A living Rock, a Living Flame, Chamelon Boy, that skeletal guy/gal, the one on Colossal Boy's shoulder, Dram Girl (the one leaning on Mon-El), the two between Colossal Boy and Block, Elemental lad, Shadow-Lass, that boy with his skin looking as if it was made of some metal, even that girl between the latter and Superboy, with the pink hair, eyes and marking on her brow. Even brainiac 5 and the purple girl behind him are great looking, if mostly(humans with another skin color). It appeals far more to my sci-fi vibes than "White dudes in spandew from the future).
    Living Rock, chameleon boy, colossal boy, shadow lass.. Etc were there in the past iterations. Changing race or ethnicity doesn't make something non human. Chameleon boy changes his shape like martian manhunter to look human and fit in to culture, which is what most immigrants do. The group has more brown, black, yellow people now. That is it.

The power that this new Saturn Girl design has.
    The influence that this new Saturn Girl design has.
    The impact that this new Saturn Girl design has.
    The international implications that this new Saturn Girl design has.
    Saturn Girl
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm disappointed that once again they didn't utilize their already original diverse characters. I was hoping for Kid Quantum II, Gear, Dragonmage, Invisible Kid II, XS, Tyroc and Harmonia. There's no point in racebending if you have the characters sitting right there.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm disappointed that once again they didn't utilize their already original diverse characters. I was hoping for Kid Quantum II, Gear, Dragonmage, Invisible Kid II, XS, Tyroc and Harmonia. There's no point in racebending if you have the characters sitting right there.
    I'm not against racebending, but this is very valid. They actually had options.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm not against racebending, but this is very valid. They actually had options.
    I understand why it happens especially for teams that have no diverse character but over time the LoS was correcting that. It was slow but it still was happening. The characters I listed also have some badass powers.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You want really alien looking members you look to the past which were much more alien than anything Bendis/Sook came up with. These are just weird collored humanoids, and that is not really that alien. Just look at these three to see really alien members of the team. Quislet, Tellus, and Gates or 100 times more alien than the new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You want really alien looking members you look to the past which were much more alien than anything Bendis/Sook came up with. These are just weird collored humanoids, and that is not really that alien. Just look at these three to see really alien members of the team. Quislet, Tellus, and Gates or 100 times more alien than the new characters.

They are.

How often are they depicted has important characters ? They are never on the group shots I've seen, for instance.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    They are.

How often are they depicted has important characters ? They are never on the group shots I've seen, for instance.
    Because most of the group shots are usually inspired by the silver age which is why you see the same characters in most. That has been a very bad trend for writers and artists at DC when ti comes to the Legion in they love the silver age but ignore most latter members. In both reboot versions of the Legion most characters created after the silver age were ignored. I mean the first Reboot didn't even have Wildfire, Dawnstar, Blok, or even Timber Wolf for most of that run until DnA took over well into the reboot era. It was the same with the Waidboot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I agree. I wished they'd have introduced new characters with different races -- instead of changing iconic characters. But the ship has sailed -- and probably a lot of old time Legion fans won't be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree. I wished they'd have introduced new characters with different races -- instead of changing iconic characters. But the ship has sailed -- and probably a lot of old time Legion fans won't be on it.
    I agree with you.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Except for the race changes i don't see a difference between these and the new designs.race change isn't a big deal for me.
    That's cool, and totally your prerogative. No one here was debating if you personally should be happy about it or not. What was being discussed and expressed was that some other perspective fans were really appreciative of both the diversity in race and and the clear diversity in species. But you are free

Korath was saying they all are great now, since they don't look human.
    In the picture we are given there are 30 something character, and 12 of them are not human (as in characters with physical features not naturally found on humans). That's almost half the whole team. The rest of the team They then have about 9 people of color. No matter how you slice it, that's far more in the way of a diverse cast for the Legion than they've ever had on the regular.

It is getting political. I didn't want it to. Sorry about that.
    It's not getting "political" (that's a cop-out word through and through. It's simply making good on the idea the concept has had since the very start: different young adults from all walks of life and all kinds of planets in the future coming together as a collective to do good in service of the galaxy around them. For some perspective fans that idea was not at all apparent in images like the one I posted above, so they're appreciative of what the new image seems to indicate.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Borrowing some lines from the oldie Beyond the Sea (Bobby Darin, I think)

Somewhere beyond the sea
    Somewhere waiting for me
    My Legion stand on golden sands
    and watches the ships that go sailing...

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I don't think I'm into this Legion. I mean, what have they done to my Dawnstar???

I'm sorry, but Ryan Sook's design is atrocious, and I say this as someone who loves Sook's artwork. WHY WOULD YOU EVER GET RID OF DAWNSTAR'S WINGS??

This is the real Dawnstar:

Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-27-2019 at 05:27 PM.