Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I guess, i am overthinking things. But what is the criteria for not looking human?
    I'd say you're overthinking this pretty hard. I feel like grasping this just takes a passing familiarity with basic western science fiction. The original point made by posters before you was that they are pleased with the diversity of faces that (more than it usually does) clearly indicated that members were either from other worlds or decedent from other worlds, and they enjoyed that. You are personally not moved nor impress by this. That's cool.

Pretty straight forward.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree. I wished they'd have introduced new characters with different races -- instead of changing iconic characters. But the ship has sailed -- and probably a lot of old time Legion fans won't be on it.
    I never been that interested in the Legion but this group and design interest me. Apparently without some people around there is extra room on the ship.

These character designs make me more, and More, and MORE excited for Bendis' Legion.

I absolutely think it time to switch up the characters' looks and potentially their vibes. It's visually interesting and bold and fitting for an intergalactic team with different species and ethnicities of characters, some who may be changed even further by virtue of their abilities.

After taking some time to think, and looking at the images again, I think I can sum up my feelings as....cautiously optimistic.

I like some of the designs, I think it's great that the legion is more diverse, though I am a little bias towards the Cockrum looks. Not that Im accusing anyone here, but I don't want to be one of those grumpy old fans who hates anything different, the ethos of the legion, to me at least, has been about positivity and accepting change, the future is never set in stone.

Maybe, just maybe, Bendis was going through the motions his last years at Marvel, that certainly would explain why Civil War 2, Guardians, and X-Men were so bad.
    Working for DC has gotten him excited again, even though there are folks who don't like his Superman run.

I've heard nothing but good things about Naomi, though she's an original character he created, who he has sole control over, so he had no choice but to flesh her out like he should have done with Miles and Riri.

Maybe Bendis learned from his mistakes from the Guardians and X-Men, maybe this will be good.

Being positive about a Bendis title...not gonna lie, it don't feel right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I never been that interested in the Legion but this group and design interest me. Apparently without some people around there is extra room on the ship.
    I certainly recognize that the Legion was not that appealing in recent years. It wasn't for lack of trying, but no one could recapture the magic of a Cockrum or Giffen. And despite what Didio once said in an interview-- the Legion is not a writer's book -- though good writing is always a boon to any series. It's artists with imagination and ability to experiment that made Legion what it was in its heyday. Waid reintroducing a Silver Age Legion was the height of stupidty -- and his fanboy background was very evident. So even though these are no longer the characters I remember, I definitely understand the appeal of a fresh approach.

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Yeah, people need to accept that this is yet another reboot instead of entertaining mental gymnastics based on a tiny change so recent that it's contradicted by the solicitations. Although with Clark's moved to another Earth, I don't get why he and Jon can't have experiences with different multiversal versions of the same characters.
    Heck, with the time travel aspect you could've had both Clark and Jon be on the Legion during their respective teen years without aging the Legion too much like how Supergirl and Superboy were on the Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think this extremely diverse take would really tickle the fancy of some hypothetical filmmakers and perspective fans in today's climate. It would also really help DC roll out a whole bunch of forward moving younger heroes. Legion as a multimedia IP is a got damn goldmine, and gaining more relevance by the year.
    I think this Legion, visually, would be a bit more of a challenge to apply in live-action or animation, at least to capture accurately. At least for some of the designs.

Which, again, is why I really liked how the animated series handled it. Although I'm not sure whether to expect Bendis' Legion to make them more relevant in other media then they are now.
    And Jon may very well find his media push as a teen rather than a child. DC doesn't seem very interested in Clark as Superboy across any media, so if they did get a Legion product off the ground it would be with Jon as Superboy. If I recall correctly, WB's new person in charge of DC's multimedia stuff is apparently very interested in a level of product synergy between most of its assets.
    To be fair, most of the time Clark as Superboy came up it was during an era of Superman where they were trying to pretend Superboy never happened. They were so stringent about certain mandates that the DCAU couldn't even make Supergirl his actual cousin.

That being said, personally I think younger Jon would have better cross-media appeal then teen Jon, but that's just my take on it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this Legion, visually, would be a bit more of a challenge to apply in live-action or animation, at least to capture accurately. At least for some of the designs.
    I don't really see why in terms of live action, and just about all designs are simplified for animation sake. But in terms of live action, no one really seems insurmountable to adapt in some way. Blok, Gim, and maybe Dream and Sun Boy at the most. But things would be tweaked regardless since it'd be an adaptation. But this as a base is strong, and I think it's something that would play well today.

To be fair, most of the time Clark as Superboy came up it was during an era of Superman where they were trying to pretend Superboy never happened. They were so stringent about certain mandates that the DCAU couldn't even make Supergirl his actual cousin.
    Sure, but now they just seem kind of done with it. Outside of specifically talking about how they used to do it, but don't anymore.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't really see why in terms of live action, and just about all designs are simplified for animation sake. But in terms of live action, no one really seems insurmountable to adapt in some way. Blok, Gim, and maybe Dream and Sun Boy at the most. But things would be tweaked regardless since it'd be an adaptation. But this as a base is strong, and I think it's something that would play well today.
    Visually to me the designs look like they work better in comics and with Sook's pen compared to other Legion looks (especially the ones that are usually used as a basis for designs in adaptions), but that's just me.
    Sure, but now they just seem kind of done with it. Outside of specifically talking about how they used to do it, but don't anymore.
    Nothing's ever really "done" in comics though .

I'm just saying it's not something that I think they have a complete aversion too, just certain periods and continuity issues makes it something DC is very wishy-washy about.

I’m thinking that kid with the skull might be chemical king.��
    Last edited by protege; 07-30-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I'd think a good ship would want to have room for everyone, both old-time fans and new fans, but silly me...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'd think a good ship would want to have room for everyone, both old-time fans and new fans, but silly me...
    But if some people just don't want to get on board before it leaves the dock because it doesn't look like the boat they want, that's on them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But if some people just don't want to get on board before it leaves the dock because it doesn't look like the boat they want, that's on them.
    It remains to be seen, but if this is just a reboot that fundamentally alters the core of these characters and their personalities and histories just for the sake of attracting new fans, then that's on DC. House of X didn't forget what came before and try to hide it as if the X-Men's history was something to be ashamed of. In fact, what made House of X so good was that it built on the lore that came before to craft a new direction. Paul Levitz understood that that was the magic of comic books. I'm not so sure the current management at DC does.

I actually love all the looks, for the most part. I've seen Chameleon Boy get a lot of crap for instance, but I like that he looks more alien. The designs definitely aren't my problem. Jon is my problem. I just fundamentally hate his whole concept and it seems like any move they make with him does something negative to Superman, in this case taking his Legion history. He's a goddamn blight on the mythos at this point in my view. Not a popular view but I think this kid is going to be a problem, not a benefit, to Superman for a long time till and if he's ever gotten rid of. But that's a problem that's not going away any time soon so it just is what it is. I'll eat it where I have to and avoid it where I can. This is a situation where I can avoid it so that's the reason why I'm unfortunately out on this one.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-29-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Anyone else think Element Lad looks like Brother Power The Geek?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That goes both ways though.