Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    As someone who has almost no knowledge about the Legion, do anyone think I can get into the new Bendis series? Probably no one knows yet if its reader friendly, or a reboot or a mix of old and new stuff...
    It seems to be aiming for a reader friendly reboot from what Bendis has said in interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    As someone who has almost no knowledge about the Legion, do anyone think I can get into the new Bendis series? Probably no one knows yet if its reader friendly, or a reboot or a mix of old and new stuff...
    Reader-friendly, I believe.
    Please Remain Calm

All-New Member

I’m beginning to think this is the most likely approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Since the Legion Jon's going to join live in the 32nd Century instead of the 30-31st Century, I'm beginning to wonder if this Legion are a new generation or descendants of the original Legion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Reader-friendly, I believe.
    That would be good. I tried a few issues of the Los, but was overwhelmed by the number of characters and gave up. I didn't care about any of them, because to me they weren't introduced and felt like numbers. A number gone, there is another, so I don't have to care about this or that character.

But I am still interested, just need a better starting point.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I'd prefer that these are all-new characters since the majority look nothing like the classic Legionnaires. Be they descendants or just characters with similar powers or a little of both -- that would be okay. I really don't want to see another team's history wiped away by DC's desire to appeal to new readers. But it's possible that one or two would also be from the 31st century Legion -- especially Wildfire whom we can assume does not age.

Extraordinary Member

I really hope this takes off and is successful. DC Comics needs a Legion of Super Heroes team IMO. It looks creative and unique.

However, forever my Legion (sigh)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Welll first, Jon is not Dick Grayson or Wally West. He's not remotely comparable to either of those classic characters. If Didio had the power to mandate this, it stands to reason he could have just gone the extra mile and gotten rid of him completely. There's certainly every chance he could get away with it in a way they just could never do with Dick, in a way they couldn't when they actually did try it with Wally.
    A bit tangential, but I think it does need to be said that it seems we've glossed over a big issue here: two of what one would call DC's most classic characters have a target on their backs...
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-01-2019 at 09:36 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Bendis podcast interview https://twitter.com/johnwordballoon/...77050600026113

* The shorter, stockier Timber Wolf is a homage to Darick Robertson's shorter, stockier Wolverine that has fallen out of fashion because of the X-Men films.

* Some of the costumes are still in flux specifically because as artist get a better feel for them in 3 dimension they adjust to accommodate (I have to image that's why Jon Kent's costume changed).

* Some aspects of characters costumes/design won't make sense to us now because there is a story behind those aspects for those characters (my guess is Matter Eater Lad is one of them)

* Bendis straight up confirms that the Doctor Fate looking character is in fact Doctor Fate.

* He also 100% confirms that they have a "Gold Lantern."

* He's currently writing issue 5 of the proper Legion book.

* No one in any of his issues so far has brought up an election for leadership yet. (jokingly he brought up how often Legion elections were brought up in the old book)

* Some of the characters in the image may be totally new.

* 100% unambiguously confirmed that the Legion's first proper appearance in this continuity of the DCU is in Superman issue 14.

* The Legion book will have very large amount of subplots running under it to accommodate the 30 something characters and the world, but don't expect it all to be stuffed into the first issue (or any signal issue for that matter).

* Expect some characters to be serviced right away, and others to be gotten to down the line.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-01-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Bendis podcast interview https://twitter.com/johnwordballoon/...77050600026113

* The shorter, stockier Timber Wolf is a homage to Darick Robertson's shorter, stockier Wolverine that has fallen out of fashion because of the X-Men films.

* Some of the costumes are still in flux specifically because as artist get a better feel for them in 3 dimension they adjust to accommodate (I have to image that's why Jon Kent's costume changed).

* Some aspects of characters costumes/design won't make sense to us now because there is a story behind those aspects for those characters (my guess is Matter Eater Lad is one of them)

* Bendis straight up confirms that the Doctor Fate looking character is in fact Doctor Fate.

* He also 100% confirms that they have a "Gold Lantern."

* He's currently writing issue 5 of the proper Legion book.

* No one in any of his issues so far has brought up an election for leadership yet. (jokingly he brought up how often Legion elections were brought up in the old book)

* Some of the characters in the image may be totally new.

* 100% unambiguously confirmed that the Legion's first proper appearance in this continuity of the DCU is in Superman issue 14.

* The Legion book will have very large amount of subplots running under it to accommodate the 30 something characters and the world, but don't expect it all to be stuffed into the first issue (or any signal issue for that matter).

* Expect some characters to be serviced right away, and others to be gotten to down the line.

- No reason to homage Wolverine in Timber Wolf. TW came first -- even the feral look -- so I don't like turning him into a Wolverine knockoff. They already tried that in the 90s TW miniseries to unpopular results.

- Don't need Doctor Fate in the Legion

- Don't need a Green Lantern in the Legion

- Don't need to throw out the previous Legion continuity. This constantly changing the past of both Superman and the Legion is getting idiotic. Brad Meltzer and Geoff Johns reestablished the connection between Clark and the Legion in "The Lightning Saga" and "Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes." The Legion did appear in the New 52 continuity clearly on the primary Earth. OG Saturn Girl appeared in the DC Rebirth special. I'll assume DClock will explain things if it ever gets finished, but I don't see myself liking whatever they come up with because if the Bendis-Legion takes place in the 32nd century, there was no reason to make this Legion "the" Legion.

What happens if this title fails or if Bendis leaves it and the next writer would rather write the "real" Legion rather than Bendis-Legion? Another convoluted reboot? DC is really putting all their faith in Bendis to revitalize the team, and if it fails or can't be continued after Benids, the Legion will be radioactive once again.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    - Don't need to throw out the previous Legion continuity. This constantly changing the past of both Superman and the Legion is getting idiotic. Brad Meltzer and Geoff Johns reestablished the connection between Clark and the Legion in "The Lightning Saga" and "Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes." The Legion did appear in the New 52 continuity clearly on the primary Earth. OG Saturn Girl appeared in the DC Rebirth special. I'll assume DClock will explain things if it ever gets finished, but I don't see myself liking whatever they come up with because if the Bendis-Legion takes place in the 32nd century, there was no reason to make this Legion "the" Legion.

What happens if this title fails or if Bendis leaves it and the next writer would rather write the "real" Legion rather than Bendis-Legion? Another convoluted reboot? DC is really putting all their faith in Bendis to revitalize the team, and if it fails or can't be continued after Benids, the Legion will be radioactive once again.
    Not to mention that Saturn Girl has already appeared in Doomsday Clock. Jesus. I think that's it for me. I'm not gonna be supporting this book.

Probably worth mentioning that the Saturn Girl from the Rebirth special and Doomsday Clock specified that she was from the 30th century.

But it's also made clear that the DCU has past timelines that are no longer in continuity "buried" under it like dinosaur bones. We also know that the DCU as "organism" has "defenses" when it feels like it's being attacked. One such defense was to bring back Wally. Saturn Girl states to the Watchmen crew that she's there to help against an attack that's targeting Superman in the time stream.

With Bendis bluntly saying that issue 14 of Superman is the first time the Legion will be part of this version of the DCU, and that it will make sense alongside Doomsday Clock, I'm under the impression that Johns' intent is to have it so that Saturn Girl's appearance is actually just a desperate attempt by the DCU to actively stop the tampering Manhantan is doing with time. And at the end of Doomsday Clock she'll simply leave our current continuity.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-01-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

With Bendis bluntly saying that issue 14 of Superman is the first time the Legion will be part of this version of the DCU, and that it will make sense alongside Doomsday Clock, I'm under the impression that Johns' intent is to have it so that Saturn Girl's appearance is actually just a desperate attempt by the DCU to actively stop the tampering Manhantan is doing with time. And at the end of Doomsday Clock she'll simply leave our current continuity.
    And I think if that's the case, it'll be time to leave DC behind for the time being, at least until the editorial regime changes. Well, at least I'll be able to afford Hickman's X-Men relaunch.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-01-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And I think if that's the case, it'll be time to leave DC behind for the time being, at least until the editorial regime changes. Well, at least I'll be able to afford to get Hickman's relaunch of the X-Men.
    Do what you feel, my guy. Hopefully you find something for you, and hopefully those of us who continue to read really dig it.

Extraordinary Member

Do what you feel, my guy. Hopefully you find something for you, and hopefully those of us who continue to read really dig it.
    I have to admit, its pretty frustrating that the current DC editorial has learned literally no lessons from the New 52. And Rebirth started off so well...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I have to admit, its pretty frustrating that the current DC editorial has learned literally no lessons from the New 52. And Rebirth started off so well...
    I mean, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel. Nothing wrong with that feeling. And I'm not about to make this a whole big armchair editor session when I'm just some dude on the internet, but even if I'm having a good time right now and hope to continue to have a good time with Legion doesn't mean that I can't appreciate that this may not be something you or others like for one reason or another.