Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Dawny's wings look real, not those dumb "Spirit Wings" they gave her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    For me it's Terry (Batman Beyond)

I don't know why, but I kind of like the fact that in the distant future, the legacy of the Batman is finally unnnecessary, you know ?
    Especially when you have Brainiac Five who can deduce most anything needed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supergirl seems out-of-place .

I really don't like Timber Wolf's design.
    For me it's Terry (Batman Beyond)

I don't know why, but I kind of like the fact that in the distant future, the legacy of the Batman is finally unnnecessary, you know ?
    And yet somehow both of them, along with Booster Gold and OMAC, are the best looking ones in this image because they weren't subjected to those redesigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And yet somehow both of them, along with Booster Gold and OMAC, are the best looking ones in this image because they weren't subjected to those redesigns.
    I actually like all the new redesign so we'll have to disagree.

Especially compared to the old Legion designs, who only have nostalgia for themselves.

Extraordinary Member

Especially compared to the old Legion designs, who only have nostalgia for themselves.
    The old designs were just better. Not these overly-complicated messes. And I'd point to the fact that many people are not liking these new designs, save for maybe a few of them, as evidence that the old looks had more than nostalgia going for them.

Just looking at Dawnstar alone, her new design is really not good compared to any of her looks from before. This look alone:

blows her redesign out of the water.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Your wrong. Just flat out wrong. The members of the Legion have had multiple looks over the years some good and some very dated, but the best looks are the one that stick around in one form or another. None of these new looks are going to stick around long term because most are just ugly or look like they are trying to hard.

You keep bringing up nostaglia, but your main selling point seem to just be "its new so its good" which is never the case.

Astonishing Member

I do think Dawnstar's Millenium look is a miss. That one from Crisis of 3 Legions was a nice update on the classic look. Sadly, everything has to go through the PC filter today because everyone is oversensitive.

I have to say that Gold Lantern looks sharp in the pic above. Ultra Boy's color scheme was always somewhat questionable, but I wish they had retained the primary red/primary green look with black accents. I really have to brace myself for this being not my Legion -- that may make it a bit more easier to digest.

Astonishing Member

It's fine to prefer all the new designs, but try to be a little objective. Not everything new is an improvement just because it's new.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Your wrong. Just flat out wrong. The members of the Legion have had multiple looks over the years some good and some very dated, but the best looks are the one that stick around in one form or another. None of these new looks are going to stick around long term because most are just ugly or look like they are trying to hard.

You keep bringing up nostaglia, but your main selling point seem to just be "its new so its good" which is never the case.
    The old designs were ugly. Like, if you didn't read the books as a kid, you can't like them ugly. They are outdated in every way ! Like, it's so old that this "future" setting lose all lustre. The new one at least look futuristic, strange, in a good way. And people keep bringing up Dawnstar, but I'm sorry, I don't see how her current design his worst than the previous ones. Different, yes, but worse ? Certainly not.

I also can't help but notice that those spitting on the new design and this new book are all people who read the LoSH for quite some time, as far as a can tell. So, yeah. Nostalgia. Like those who clamored for the trunks' return or hate anything different from what they read before.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's fine to prefer all the new designs, but try to be a little objective. Not everything new is an improvement just because it's new.
    It isn't the case. it's justa matter of the old design being atrocious.

But honestly, I kind of have given up on DC readership. Most of you guys don't seem to want new things.
    Last edited by Korath; 08-06-2019 at 11:14 AM.

The old designs were ugly. Like, if you didn't read the books as a kid, you can't like them ugly. They are outdated in every way ! Like, it's so old that this "future" setting lose all lustre. The new one at least look futuristic, strange, in a good way. And people keep bringing up Dawnstar, but I'm sorry, I don't see how her current design his worst than the previous ones. Different, yes, but worse ? Certainly not.

I also can't help but notice that those spitting on the new design and this new book are all people who read the LoSH for quite some time, as far as a can tell. So, yeah. Nostalgia. Like those who clamored for the trunks' return or hate anything different from what they read before.

It isn't the case. it's justa matter of the old design being atrocious.

But honestly, I kind of have given up on DC readership. Most of you guys don't want new things. Just rehashed stories, designs and roles for each and every character.
    I mean, I can see how they were a little old-fashioned and classic but I don't see what was ugly or atrocious about them.

Of course, I'm not referring to the exact Silver Age designs when I think of the Legion's looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    The old designs were just better. Not these overly-complicated messes. And I'd point to the fact that many people are not liking these new designs, save for maybe a few of them, as evidence that the old looks had more than nostalgia going for them.

Just looking at Dawnstar alone, her new design is really not good compared to any of her looks from before. This look alone:

blows her redesign out of the water.
    I don't often agree with Korath, but Dawnstar's new design is much better than this and there is a reason the old one wasn't used for the Legion/JL animated movie.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't often agree with Korath, but Dawnstar's new design is much better than this and there is a reason the old one wasn't used for the Legion/JL animated movie.
    The new design that is so culturally insensitive it looks like it came form the 1940s? I mean it looks like they goggled offensive native american sterotypes and just drew what they read.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The color version of Millennium #1 & 2 is out now.

Damn, I am so ready to jump into this world, man. Just look at them all, each with their own little story to tell set in a far off time period. The all look so distinct, diverse, and full of life, but with this sense of unity.

God, I can't wait to get into group dynamics, interpersonal chemistry, adventure, and world building.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Still not sure about how I feel about this new status quo
    Last edited by BBally; 08-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member

The old designs were ugly. Like, if you didn't read the books as a kid, you can't like them ugly. They are outdated in every way ! Like, it's so old that this "future" setting lose all lustre.
    Yes, because these:

are soooooo outated.[/sarcasm]

The new one at least look futuristic, strange, in a good way.
    Because nothing says future like wrapping your heroes in kevlar and plastic body plates

And people keep bringing up Dawnstar, but I'm sorry, I don't see how her current design his worst than the previous ones. Different, yes, but worse ? Certainly not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, let's look at Dawnstar's new look:

So, there's a few issues with this design just on its face.

1) Its extremely racist. Like, not even subtle at all. For one, putting warpaint on a Native American character without any reason besides emphasizing their Native American-ness is probably the most insensitive thing I've seen in a long time. That's especially true when Dawnstar has never really worn warpaint before. Also, I could be wrong about this, but it seems that Sook just...decided to design a symbol that vaguely looks Native American but doesn't seem to actually hold any real meaning.

2) Putting warpaint, an overt symbol of aggression, on Dawnstar, a character who has always been an introvert, is just inconsistent with her core personality traits.

3) It does away with one of the main things that made Dawnstar unique: her beautiful, large feathered wings. It was something that highlighted that Dawnstar came from another world and communicated how the Legion wasn't just Earthlings.

So, yeah, its a very problematic redesign all around.

Or they're just people who actually know the characters. And just because someone doesn't like a new direction because they prefer the older direction doesn't automatically mean nostalgia. It just means that they think the new direction is bad. And sometimes, guess what, they're right. After all, the New 52 failed not because people were just averse to something new. It failed because, at the end of the day, most of the New 52 books and story directions were bad and almost universally panned among those who actually read them. And yes, that included a large amount of new fans.

But honestly, I kind of have given up on DC readership. Most of you guys don't seem to want new things.
    No, we just want good things from DC.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.