Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The color version of Millennium #1 & 2 is out now.

I'm still not sure about this version of Lightning Lad having a different skin color if this is supposed to be the new current version of the Legion especially since Invisible Kid II was a long time member of the Legion

I just think making them a new generation following the original Legion's footsteps would have been a much better choice instead creating "another" new version of the Legion this like what the 5th time DC changed the Legion?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I'm still not sure about this version of Lightning Lad having a different skin color if this is supposed to be the new current version of the Legion especially since Invisible Kid II was a long time member of the Legion

I just think making them a new generation following the original Legion's footsteps would have been a much better choice instead creating "another" new version of the Legion this like what the 5th time DC changed the Legion?
    I couldn't agree more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Damn, I am so ready to jump into this world, man. Just look at them all, each with their own little story to tell set in a far off time period. The all look so distinct, diverse, and full of life, but with this sense of unity.
    I feel like this take on the Legion's costume fits Hitch's design sense surprisingly well. Maybe because there's a uniform, Ultimates, style nature to them.
    God, I can't wait to get into group dynamics, interpersonal chemistry, adventure, and world building.
    I think that's probably what will make or break this Legion run, especially since it's the things people are most concerned about Bendis pulling off.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    2) Putting warpaint, an overt symbol of aggression, on Dawnstar, a character who has always been an introvert, is just inconsistent with her core personality traits.
    Okay so, this is a small thing, but you can't seriously make this argument about a character who is often known to dress like this. That costume isn't what one would commonly associate with a person who is described as "introverted." In fact, something that's far more modest, covering, and comfortable would likely be what you'd associate with an introvert.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but it seems that Sook just...decided to design a symbol that vaguely looks Native American but doesn't seem to actually hold any real meaning.
    I'm genuinely not sure how you're making this point right here either. I mean, this is the 32nd century, and while her Native American roots are obviously intact, I don't see why her people (who colonized a whole other world) didn't simply just make a new symbol? I mean, the United States flag is literally just a new flag that a bunch of guys of direct European decent made, yes? I'm not seeing the issue here.

For me personally, the only thing about Dawnstar's look that I could do without is the face paint. In terms of what she's wearing, literally nothing else is out of the ordinary for her outside or the fact that she's more modest and practical (no hanging clothing).
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Regarding Dawnstar, I don't understand why she can't own her heritage...

Why can a Native American character actuallly wear Native American clothings and decorations ? Is it truly less racist to say that they must be wearing White's clothes ?

By that account, shouldn't we call out Muslim characters who wears their traditional garbs or even just a part of it, like headscarf ? And what of Jews with the yarmulke (I think it's how it's called in English, here in France it's kippa) ? Is it racist too ?

Plus, if Dawnstar is from a planet were Native Americans are the dominant ethnicity, why can't they have created new elements of their culture, made it evolve ? Why wouldn't it be revealed that what we see as warpaints have become something else altogether (I doubt it will, mind you). Kind of like in the Dragon Age series, were it was revealed that the facial markings worn by Dalish elves were ancient slave-brands, but had become symbols of dedication to their culture, their gods and their peoples in the face of oppression. That the new signification is different from the old shouldn't matter, as long as the people wearing such symbols are clear about what it means to them.

Okay so, this is a small thing, but you can't seriously make this argument about a character who is often known to dress like this. That costume isn't what one would commonly associate with a person who is described as "introverted." In fact, something that's far more modest, covering, and comfortable would likely be what you'd associate with an introvert.
    To be fair, this was from an era where all female Superheroes were drawn like that .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

Don't forget Tyroc also.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Don't forget Tyroc also.

And Star Boy, Catspaw, Computo II, Kid Quantum I, Kid Quantum II, Ivy ect.
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 08-06-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: adds

Extraordinary Member

Well, it's not really me making an argument since that's just how she has historically been portrayed in Legion stories. But what really doesn't suit an introvert is a bright, garish mess of a costume that literally has her paint her face bright blue.

I'm genuinely not sure how you're making this point right here either. I mean, this is the 32nd century, and while her Native American roots are obviously intact, I don't see why her people (who colonized a whole other world) didn't simply just make a new symbol? I mean, the United States flag is literally just a new flag that a bunch of guys of direct European decent made, yes? I'm not seeing the issue here.
    That is some impressive mental gymnastics there to justify some blatant cultural insensitivity at the very least. So, it is okay to appropriate Native imagery and design aesthetics (incorrectly by a white artist, might I add) just to make a "cool" symbol that wasn't really necessary for this character's design?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Regarding Dawnstar, I don't understand why she can't own her heritage...

Why can a Native American character actuallly wear Native American clothings and decorations ? Is it truly less racist to say that they must be wearing White's clothes ?
    There's a difference between owning your heritage and literally making it the only discernable character trait. That would be like someone telling me that I could only "own my heritage" by putting on a dishdasha and waving around a scimitar.

Plus, if Dawnstar is from a planet were Native Americans are the dominant ethnicity, why can't they have created new elements of their culture, made it evolve ? Why wouldn't it be revealed that what we see as warpaints have become something else altogether (I doubt it will, mind you). Kind of like in the Dragon Age series, were it was revealed that the facial markings worn by Dalish elves were ancient slave-brands, but had become symbols of dedication to their culture, their gods and their peoples in the face of oppression. That the new signification is different from the old shouldn't matter, as long as the people wearing such symbols are clear about what it means to them.
    You are missing the point. This is not the case a Native creator striving for an honest and true representation of Native culture. This is the case of a white artist taking a stab at what he thinks a Native American superheroine should look like, even when Dawnstar existed for decades without having to wear offensively stereotypical costumes.

To put it in perspective: Do white characters have to don the imagery of their Anglo-Saxon heritage to be taken seriously as who they are? Why does Dawnstar have to wear something like this to be taken seriously as a Native woman? Why can't she just exist as such without having to be expected to conform to stereotypes?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-06-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yes, but Batman Beyond won't still be around by the time the Legion appears. That cover is a mix of various future heroes from different eras.
    I don't see why Batman Beyond would just stop. Terry could pass on the suit or somehow still be around through whatever kinda shenanigans you want.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But honestly, I kind of have given up on DC readership. Most of you guys don't seem to want new things.
    I'm all for new members. I'm just not very pleased with reinventing classic characters. As some others have said, I do hope that this is a new Legion, and that the classic version still exists in the 31st century -- even if we never see them again.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Don't forget Tyroc also.

And Star Boy, Catspaw, Computo II, Kid Quantum I, Kid Quantum II, Ivy ect.
    Yeah, if they wanted a black Legion member, they could have chosen one of the previous members who are black instead of giving an existing member a skin change.
    Last edited by BBally; 08-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

The color version of Millennium #1 & 2 is out now.

You know I didn’t think about this until now but I honestly wonder how exactly this team will work with both Jon and Mon-el in the line-up, or at least what dynamic they might have.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, it is okay to appropriate Native imagery and design aesthetics (incorrectly by a white artist, might I add) just to make a "cool" symbol that wasn't really necessary for this character's design?
    Um, well, yeah.

I mean, the very white and not African at all Jack Kirby created and designed the fictional nation of Wakanda. Kirby essentially hyper stylized African grab, traditions, imagty, and customs in order to make his fake African nation.

Hell Dawnstars original outfit is literally just a white person taking vaguely Native American clothing and making it sexy.

Like, dude, you can just not like a thing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.