Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default X-Men Cinematic Universe

Now that the XCU is over, let's discuss our how X-Men performed on the big screen and kicked off the modern superhero genre we enjoy today.
    19 years, 12 movies, 2 shows and lots to talk about.

X-Men (2000)

X2: X-Men United (2004)

X3: The Last Stand (2006)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

X-Men First Class (2011)

The Wolverine (2013)

X-Men Days of Future Past (2014)

Deadpool (2016)

X-Men Apocalypse (2016)

Legion (2017)

Logan (2017)

The Gifted (2017)

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Dark Phoenix (2019)

Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into a flame war.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

For me they batted about .500 . Gotta take the good with the bad

Not quite over yet until New Mutants is released. Assuming it ever is.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    And legion is still on we are probably gonna get Deadpool 3 one way or another.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    From a report Disney is handling reshoots of it. That they ordered them finally so they seem to be taking that project over.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And legion is still on we are probably gonna get Deadpool 3 one way or another.
    Deadpool 3 is gonna be handled by Disney behind the scenes. It will come out likely on the Fox brand but its gonna have Disney executives behind it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It was awkward watching Disney market dark phoenix as a finale that has been building for 20 years, after already having 2 finales and the new kids on the block cast only had one movie as supporting characters.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    It was awkward watching Disney market dark phoenix as a finale that has been building for 20 years, after already having 2 finales and the new kids on the block cast only had one movie as supporting characters.
    Speaking of which, that was some serious misleading marketing since the movie was never made to be a finale and it hurt the film. I’ve read many reviews judge it as finale and say how it doesn’t work on that level. They seem to be unaware this was basically finished filming two summers ago.

Oh, and having Jean being the villain as your selling point when she isn’t also backed fired.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix were announced before the Disney buyout.

Kinberg wrote and produced X-Men 3 when MCU did not exist.
    There were also plans for a New Mutants trilogy, X-Force movies, and solo films for characters like Beast, Gambit, X-23, Kitty Pryde, and Multiple Man, all of which are done because Disney bought Fox and wants to reboot things within the MCU (as is their right). The point is, had Fox been allowed to continue, we would've moved on beyond the core series and primary characters (or at least a more diverse roster alongside the First Class iteration).

I use the present to map out a realistic future.
    How can we do that when we don't know all the variables?

If disney didn't buy fox, what future do you think Kinberg would still have at Fox after this latest mess up? twice with the same story. what future would be there for the actors?
    We can't know what-ifs, can we?

No.
    Insert Sketical Hippo meme here.

I was talking only about the rebooted MCU Spiderman that seems caught up in the ''disney formula''.
    I completely lost the subject of this part.

Filmmaking is not in a serious conversation in a franchise that has a formula that it stays consistently juvenile. filmmaking belongs in a conversation of uneven franchises.
    Tell that to the Russo brothers.

Marvel has wrapped things up for the year. Here is the report card. Endgame does not stand out as a great time travel dystopian film in the sea of such a deflexed genre, Captain Marvel was less than the usual run in the mill marvel. Far from home looks to be another stick in the mud spiderman movie than can't escape the good cause of the original spiderman.
    Can't speak for Spider-Man since I haven't seen it yet and trying to avoid spoilers, but the former two were box office and critical successes, so that's a passing grade no matter how you cut it.

If you replaced these marvel movies with Days of future past , Wonder Woman and Spiderman 2. The conversation would be different. Not only would we be discussing the success, we would be discussing how much MCU movies are maturing in filmmaking.
    Instead, we're enthusing over the characters and wondering where thing'll go next. You don't get that from poor writing.

You don't take that to another franchise that Logan Noir was the last original movie.
    Logan wasn't the last original movie, though.

it makes Disney's current management look irresponsible. Almost as irresponsible as not knowing how to handle Spiderman when they could just watch what Raimi did.
    They're being irresponsible by maintaining a wildly successful series? Heck, people would kill to be as "irresponsible" as the MCU people, given the track record of success they have. Also, Kevin Feige has indicated that he considers the Raimi movies gold standards in the genre. Oddly enough, MCU Spidey and Raimi Spidey seem to have a lot in common in terms of approach and being character-driven. Heck, Raimi's Spidey was in many ways the herald for the MCU-style superhero genre.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Just want to say that Jean has one of the best character arcs in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Just want to say that Jean has one of the best character arcs in the series.

Her story in Dark Phoenix was pretty much the same as Apocalypse fears her powers and has trouble controlling them till the end of film where she stops the villain. The only difference she had a 5 minutes period in DP where we enjoyed using her powers after the shuttle accident so I don't see where we had a great story arc.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There were also plans for a New Mutants trilogy, X-Force movies, and solo films for characters like Beast, Gambit, X-23, Kitty Pryde, and Multiple Man, all of which are done because Disney bought Fox and wants to reboot things within the MCU (as is their right). The point is, had Fox been allowed to continue, we would've moved on beyond the core series and primary characters (or at least a more diverse roster alongside the First Class iteration).
    Plans mean nothing. There were plans for solo movies for years and nothing came of it. They worked on Gambit for years and it kept falling apart. Everything they did was going to depend on how other things went. The X-men movies were in trouble before Disney bought them as shown by the reshoots of both Phoenix and New Mutants, and the bad reception of Apocalypse. Even if Fox had kept going the chance of seeing Multiple Man, Kitty Pryde, or any of the other movies they had planned were pretty thin. I mean WB had plans for a Cyborg and Green Lantern Corps movie too, but they never materlized either.

Even if Kinberg had been able to make DP two movies and done his original plan I don't think it would have mattered. His sense of what the X-Men should be and what the audience wants them to be are just to radically different at this point. Kinberg is stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Plans mean nothing. There were plans for solo movies for years and nothing came of it. They worked on Gambit for years and it kept falling apart. Everything they did was going to depend on how other things went. The X-men movies were in trouble before Disney bought them as shown by the reshoots of both Phoenix and New Mutants, and the bad reception of Apocalypse. Even if Fox had kept going the chance of seeing Multiple Man, Kitty Pryde, or any of the other movies they had planned were pretty thin. I mean WB had plans for a Cyborg and Green Lantern Corps movie too, but they never materlized either.

Even if Kinberg had been able to make DP two movies and done his original plan I don't think it would have mattered. His sense of what the X-Men should be and what the audience wants them to be are just to radically different at this point. Kinberg is stuck in the past.
    The last three films had more reshoots than Dark Phoenix according to Deadline.

A note about reshoots: They’re completely normal on a superhero film of this size, and are routinely budgeted. Just because a superhero movie undergoes reshoots doesn’t mean that it’s destined to fail (i.e. Suicide Squad went from dark to funny in tone and dazzled with $746.8M). We hear that Dark Phoenix had even less reshoots than X-Men: First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse. And this is where we turn to Fox PR and marketing mismanaging the image and perception of Dark Phoenix. Word was leaked and not controlled about reshoots for Dark Phoenix and New Mutants, and when that isn’t managed, it already transmits a message to fans that something is afoul. The headlines on Star Wars: Rogue One‘s reshoots were less so than the public divorce of the studio from original Solo: A Star Wars Story directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, and that resulted in the former being a profitable film and the other a stinker.
    https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-ph...hy-1202629749/

What does the audience what them to be? I mean, the vast majority of them don't read comics.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-12-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Plans mean nothing.
    It shows what kind of future Fox wanted for the series. May not be much practical good in the here and now, but the point still stands.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)