Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default X-Men Cinematic Universe

Now that the XCU is over, let's discuss our how X-Men performed on the big screen and kicked off the modern superhero genre we enjoy today.
    19 years, 12 movies, 2 shows and lots to talk about.

X-Men (2000)

X2: X-Men United (2004)

X3: The Last Stand (2006)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

X-Men First Class (2011)

The Wolverine (2013)

X-Men Days of Future Past (2014)

Deadpool (2016)

X-Men Apocalypse (2016)

Legion (2017)

Logan (2017)

The Gifted (2017)

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Dark Phoenix (2019)

Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into a flame war.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

For me they batted about .500 . Gotta take the good with the bad

Not quite over yet until New Mutants is released. Assuming it ever is.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    And legion is still on we are probably gonna get Deadpool 3 one way or another.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    From a report Disney is handling reshoots of it. That they ordered them finally so they seem to be taking that project over.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And legion is still on we are probably gonna get Deadpool 3 one way or another.
    Deadpool 3 is gonna be handled by Disney behind the scenes. It will come out likely on the Fox brand but its gonna have Disney executives behind it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Legion season 3 begins on June 24th. 10 days from now. That is something. I suspect this will be the last season.

I'm a little bummed The Gifted isn't getting a third season, but I'm okay with what we got.

As for the movies, the only ones I'll never watch again are Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. How do you make the X-Men boring?

Unless I completely missed something, there is nothing concrete that has ever pointed to that Legion is actually taking place in the same continuity as everything else.

Calling it a "Universe" might be a bit of a stretch. "IP Umbrella" that everything falls under? Sure.

Also, Legion(barring someone pulling a rabbit out of a hat) is totally done.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I've enjoyed the series as a whole. I absolutely prefer their more episodic approach rather than other Hero franchises, and their tendency to just try to build up towards the next movie. Even the lesser films at can at least function in isolation. Granted that means that there's not much of a pretense of it as a shared universe, but shared universes don't have many benefits.

I disagree with how Dark Phoenix has been received. Acting aside, I found it to be a competently made movie. Albeit one that wasn't terribly ambitious as far as finales go.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-14-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

From my best to worst as my lasting impressions of the XCU.

First Class: My favorite of the series just a blast and love the 1962 setting.

Deadpool: Great movie and love the relationship of Wade and Vanessa in it.

DOFP: Theatrical Cut good but I love the Rogue Cut and great adaptation of a great story.

Logan: Great ending to both characters of Charles and Logan superb acting and X-23 was awesome.

Deadpool 2: Fun movie almost as good as the 1st love it.

X2: Great film and for a time in my top 3 superhero films.

X-Men: Good film but feels a little dated much like the Blade films but still good like Blade.

The Wolverine: Solid good Wolverine film I'm just not a huge Wolverine fan but my 74 year old mum loves it she loves action movies, Japan settings, ninja movies, and Jackman so it was a win all around for her.

X-Men Apocalypse: Not great but got some nice scenes especially the Magneto and his family stuff wish they'd left the mall scenes in the film.

X-Men Origins Wolverine: Honestly outside of the dodgy CGI claws I thought up until the 3rd act this film was never that awful well at least not as awful as people think and now with 2 great Deadpool films I can enjoy it for the Schlock it is.

X-Men the Last Stand: After Dark Phoenix this doesn't look so bad anymore IMO solid cure story, the Magneto ink scene is still good, and KG is fantastic as Beast.

Dark Phoenix: It's a movie.

TV Side

Legion: Amazing show can't wait to see how it ends.

Gifted: Good show and great cast but much like the DC CW shows or Agents of Shield it had moments of great but never reached it's full potential. Also good god who chose to end the episodes with those awful montages and bad songs?

Since the films IMO influenced these shows I'll mention the animated shows we got during the Fox era.

X-Men Evolution: Rough freshmen year but the last few episodes especially the season finale were good and with Season 2 the show got better with adding the New Mutants and Beast, Season 3 is where it hit its stride and kept going with a great series finale.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Great show out of the gate really solid cohesive over all storyline and wish we got to see season 2.

Overall the X-Men film series helped usher us into the superhero film and TV golden age we're in sure it had some rough entries and never reached it's potential IMO but deserves a place of respect.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-14-2019 at 08:57 AM.

First Class and Deadpool are clearly my favorites. Logan was a really nice surprise.

Overall i'm satisfied with what they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Unless I completely missed something, there is nothing concrete that has ever pointed to that Legion is actually taking place in the same continuity as everything else.

Calling it a "Universe" might be a bit of a stretch. "IP Umbrella" that everything falls under? Sure.

At the same time, there is nothing that disconfirms Legion occurring alongside the X-Men films. Legion is it's on island. All we know is that David Haller is Xavier's son. Xavier had a mental duel with the Shadow King, defeated him and had him entombed. Shadow King latched on to infant David's mind. Xavier gives David up for adoption for unexplained reasons. The 3rd season could potentially make a stronger connection to the film continuity.

My own rankings of the movies would be.

12. X-Men Apocalypse

11. Dark Phoenix

10. X-Men Origins

9. X-Men 3

8. The Wolverine

7. Deadpool 2

6. X-Men

5. Deadpool

4. X2 - X-Men United

3. Days of Future Past

2. Logan

1. First Class

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

The original intent was that Legion would be in the same universe. That it has the producers of the films (Donner, Singer, etc) and is headed by Noah Hawley (who successfully linked the Fargo show to the movie) meant they wanted to. They used a couple props from the movies and spoke of mutants as if the audience didn't need any explanation. And David even mimics Patrick Stewart at one point.

But, and this is coming from Donner herself, the movie continuity just got to be such a big clusterfuck that it was decided near the end of season 1 to just abandon the idea altogether and have Legion as its own standalone show separate from the films. They cited the reason given by the showrunner of The Gifted, in which he said the split timelines idea from Days of Future Past would the reason that the Gifted (and thus Legion) could still be connected to the movies but not really. So it's connected only in the sense of Legion using the same brand and concepts, but otherwise no shared history whatsoever.

Which is only good for the show, really. Though a part of me really wanted to see Patrick Stewart (or James McAvoy) go up against the nightmarish, continuous fever nightmare of the Shadow King and his Farouk persona, to see the reliable paternal familiar going up against an existential, psychedelic threat that is beyond comprehension.

Also, I suspect that everyone involved with the shows use the term "universe" as vague double-speak, to mean that they all came from the same source (like Shakespeare or Aesop's Fables), rather than "universe" as in everything is interconnected like Star Trek or the MCU.

Watching DOFP and question did future Logan get his memories back before the film? Because he isn't phased and remembers 1973 events and these events obviously happened before he got his adamantum claws and lost his memory.

BANNED

The "Deadpool" movies, "Legion" (series) and "The Gifted" (series) are three parallel universes; each one featuring an alternate version of the X-Men.

The main X-Men universe (X-Men + Wolverine) has been altered via time travel twice, not just one ("Days of Future Past").

This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy; X-Men Origins & Logan).

My theory is exposed on my website: X-CONTINUITY (google it). x-continuity. blogspot. com
    There are extensive sections explaining more about incongruences and contradictions in the saga.

According to my scenario:

Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) was a time traveler. He was born in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand; Logan).

At a certain point, when he was 50 or so - several years after the events of "Logan" (2029) - he traveled back to 1912 A.C. and impacted the timeline over the years in various ways... until creating the Hellfire Club.
    He also changed Magneto's life in 1944.

The events of "First Class" were deeply caused by him, as well as having many birthdays shifting in time and characters being born later or before (Angel, Jean Grey).
    I guess he influenced many powerful people over the decades, impacting their lives - Warren Worthington II (Angel's father) was among them.

FC Moira was the grandmother of LS Moira, as simple as that.

Emma Frost was already existing. Maybe, in the original timeline, Emma Silverfox was a clone of her who was adopted by Kayla's family (that's it).

So in the end, we got the second timeline:

1962- First Class
    1963- JFK dies. Magneto is arrested.
    1973- Mystique kills Bolivar Trask.
    1983- Alternate version of "X-Men Origins". No Alkali-Transigen, no "Logan" future.
    2000- Alternate version of "X-Men" and "X2".
    2001- Alternate version of "The Last Stand".
    2008- The Wolverine
    2023- Post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past".