Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ssirturn View Post
    I did this fan art of Sophia Lillis (IT, Sharp Objects) as Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix.

Attachment 84781
    Very cool!

Dark Phoenix out on Blue Ray tomorrow, everyone go and get your copy!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Grain of salt but there are rumors that Marvel is considering a major change to Magneto's background should he appear in the MCU. While the First Class movies managed to mostly dodge this by being set in period (and the comics of course messed around with his age in the 70s), maybe they plan to have a fairly youthful Magneto in present day MCU, and a Magneto likely born in the 20s or 30s would be elderly at this time.
    I don't see why they necessarily need to tweak Magnetos origin. It works pretty well in the MCU, since we know Hydra was performing experiments back then. It wouldn't be impossible to somehow link him to that, given Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are linked to the stones Hydra was experimenting on.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I’ve notice that a lot of people saying that Mystique’s death happens in the first act, but it really happens in the middle of the second act to serve as the midpoint setback. I wonder if that’s because the trailers made the it look like Mystique’s death is the inciting incident.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't see why they necessarily need to tweak Magnetos origin. It works pretty well in the MCU, since we know Hydra was performing experiments back then. It wouldn't be impossible to somehow link him to that, given Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are linked to the stones Hydra was experimenting on.
    I agree but when the rumor is Denzel Washingtons the person they want for Magento, it's the only thing that makes me comfortable with them making big changes to Magneto. Make him a survivor of African Genocide or war. Maybe make him from Rawanda. Have his whole family killed horribly and then he comes to America In the 60s in time to experience horrible racism. But yea honestly it just cause its Denzel if it was literaly anyone else people were saying it about I'd be irritated

All this talk about Magneto's casting reminds me of my favorite behind the scenes trivia about the 2000 movie: before Singer came on board (and insisting on Ian McKellan's casting, which we can all agree was stellar casting in every way), according to Variety at the time the three candidates Fox had in mind for the role were Terrence Stamp, Christopher Lee, and... David Hemblen, the voice of Magneto from the 90s Fox cartoon. That's astounding to me, and he was the only cartoon VA from the show to be considered for a live action role -- hell, that's an extreme rarity these days as well. It's usually the other way around like JK Simmons and Clark Gregg reprising their roles in the cartoons. I would've loved to hear Hemblen's bad-ass voice in theaters. So in some alternate Earth, cartoon Magneto and live-action Magneto are essentially all the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    All this talk about Magneto's casting reminds me of my favorite behind the scenes trivia about the 2000 movie: before Singer came on board (and insisting on Ian McKellan's casting, which we can all agree was stellar casting in every way), according to Variety at the time the three candidates Fox had in mind for the role were Terrence Stamp, Christopher Lee, and... David Hemblen, the voice of Magneto from the 90s Fox cartoon. That's astounding to me, and he was the only cartoon VA from the show to be considered for a live action role -- hell, that's an extreme rarity these days as well. It's usually the other way around like JK Simmons and Clark Gregg reprising their roles in the cartoons. I would've loved to hear Hemblen's bad-ass voice in theaters. So in some alternate Earth, cartoon Magneto and live-action Magneto are essentially all the same.
    I bet David Hemblen would've been better. I'm not in the McKellen fan camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I agree but when the rumor is Denzel Washingtons the person they want for Magento, it's the only thing that makes me comfortable with them making big changes to Magneto. Make him a survivor of African Genocide or war. Maybe make him from Rawanda. Have his whole family killed horribly and then he comes to America In the 60s in time to experience horrible racism. But yea honestly it just cause its Denzel if it was literaly anyone else people were saying it about I'd be irritated
    Though I do think changing Magneto's ethicity is kinda weird since him being a holocaust survivor is pretty darn important to the character, I gotta admit Denzel in the MCU would be kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I’ve notice that a lot of people saying that Mystique’s death happens in the first act, but it really happens in the middle of the second act to serve as the midpoint setback. I wonder if that’s because the trailers made the it look like Mystique’s death is the inciting incident.
    Well for me, that was what I expected going in. Mystique's death would be the big dark turn. In fact that dark turn really never came and Mystique's death was much more of a plot point for Beast and Magneto than for Jean or anyone else.

I'd say the critical moment, where things turn for her, is the opening space exercise. The rest of the movie is dealing with the consequences of that event.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Grain of salt but there are rumors that Marvel is considering a major change to Magneto's background should he appear in the MCU. While the First Class movies managed to mostly dodge this by being set in period (and the comics of course messed around with his age in the 70s), maybe they plan to have a fairly youthful Magneto in present day MCU, and a Magneto likely born in the 20s or 30s would be elderly at this time.
    Oh, yeah, saw a thread regarding rumors of this. I'm kinda over the "outrage" I'm seeing about it (esp. since nothing has been confirmed for sure).

While Magneto as a Holocaust survivor is something I can't really see being taken away (although I'm told the Ultimate comics made it work), I can really see the logic in updating the origin story, esp. since the constant de-aging opens up oodles of worm cans.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Oh, yeah, saw a thread regarding rumors of this. I'm kinda over the "outrage" I'm seeing about it (esp. since nothing has been confirmed for sure).

While Magneto as a Holocaust survivor is something I can't really see being taken away (although I'm told the Ultimate comics made it work), I can really see the logic in updating the origin story, esp. since the constant de-aging opens up oodles of worm cans.
    All you got to say is the Mangnetic Feild his power generates makes him age very slow because...... comic science. That said if your gonna update him and not make him 100years old then I think making him someone who survived A Genocide in Rawanda( they can make up a fictional one to fit they time frame they want) then coming to America in the 60s as a refugee . You can even pile on by having him be adopted by some Hippes who are then killed for being "N****** lovers" I think that can work to be just as sympathetic a origin as the Holocaust. That said as someone who was raised by a Jewish mom part of me wants to keep Magento and Ben Grimm as Jewish as possible.

@Cyke as far as Ian Mckellen he was great. He captured the Pompus attitude and the Gravitas great. But for me (We all have different versions if chatacters in our heads probaly) Magento might be one thee most powerful people on earth because his powers but he was also capable of messing you up with his bear hands. I've always thought of him as someone who very capable even without his powers. Ian wasnt intimidating at all in that regard. I feel like Denzel could bring the same Gravitas but he can also play a convincing badass. Its 90% of his roles these days.

In an interview Denzel also said he was open to being in a comicbook movie if the right role was offered to him. And he loved Black Panther apparently.

Well Dark Phoenix Honest Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    All you got to say is the Mangnetic Feild his power generates makes him age very slow because...... comic science. That said if your gonna update him and not make him 100years old then I think making him someone who survived A Genocide in Rawanda( they can make up a fictional one to fit they time frame they want) then coming to America in the 60s as a refugee . You can even pile on by having him be adopted by some Hippes who are then killed for being "N****** lovers" I think that can work to be just as sympathetic a origin as the Holocaust. That said as someone who was raised by a Jewish mom part of me wants to keep Magento and Ben Grimm as Jewish as possible.
    Yeah, you could stretch his age out or do something else. Personally, I don't think the character was really made to work in a floating timeline; his origin story is a classic, but so tied to a specific event that there reaches a point where it no longer makes much sense that he's still around in the modern era (unlike how Captain America can just be frozen longer or Iron Man's injury can be moved to a more recent war). If nothing else, it's going to eventually reach the point where Magneto will be old enough to be Xaiver's great-grandfather, and that'll alter the relationship if taken to the logical conclusion.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Dark Phoenix Honest Trailer

I’ve come to find that people on Screen Junkies seem to have a hard time remembering events from the X-films. Mystique tried to kill Trask instead of the president and Magneto being a free man was explained at the end of Apocalypse.

Also, come to found that a lot of people mistakenly believe Jean’s behavior was directly influenced by the force.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I’ve come to find that people on Screen Junkies seem to have a hard time remembering events from the X-films. Mystique tried to kill Trask instead of the president and Magneto being a free man was explained at the end of Apocalypse.

Also, come to found that a lot of people mistakenly believe Jean’s behavior was directly influenced by the force.
    Are being serious Magneto lifted freaking stadium and try to kill president it doesn't make any sense that even years later they that wouldn't still try to put him jail. Not mention in Apocalypse he did floating in the air pulling stuff from cities. There is no logical reason Magneto shouldn't be jail take your choice. Breaking out of prison First Class, Trying to kill the President DoFP, Destroying stuff in Apocalypse. Screen Junkies was calling out the flimsy reasons that he still free man. They remember the movie just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Are being serious Magneto lifted freaking stadium and try to kill president it doesn't make any sense that even years later they that wouldn't still try to put him jail. Not mention in Apocalypse he did floating in the air pulling stuff from cities. There is no logical reason Magneto shouldn't be jail take your choice. Breaking out of prison First Class, Trying to kill the President DoFP, Destroying stuff in Apocalypse. Screen Junkies was calling out the flimsy reasons that he still free man. They remember the movie just fine.
    The video didn’t mention what he did in DOFP just Apocalypse. In Apocalypse the public never found out that Magneto took part of the destruction as it was reported that Apocalypse was the cause and Magneto helped. Yeah, they don’t remember like the time they said the president in X3 was a villain.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-18-2019 at 05:50 AM.