Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It shows what kind of future Fox wanted for the series. May not be much practical good in the here and now, but the point still stands.
    Plans that seems to have come too late sadly

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    In Apocalypse the issue with her powers was that she burned things while she was asleep.

"You don't know what it's like to be afraid to shut your eyes"

This wasn't really resolved at the end of the movie. All she did was unleash fiery psychic energy on Apoc. Apocalypse is where Jean's arc began and Dark Phoenix was where it ended because that is where she actually gained control.
    The basic theme is fear, fear from her because she has trouble controlling her powers and fear by the students since she can't control her powers and by the end she overcomes it to beat Apocalypse. Which outside of her enjoying her power for 5 minutes in Dark Phoenix it's the same story thematically for Jean so I don't see her having any great story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Plans that seems to have come too late sadly
    You got that right.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The basic theme is fear, fear from her because she has trouble controlling her powers and fear by the students since she can't control her powers and by the end she overcomes it to beat Apocalypse. Which outside of her enjoying her power for 5 minutes in Dark Phoenix it's the same story thematically for Jean so I don't see her having any great story arc.
    Jean either had to unleash her power or the world gets mind controlled. That's not real character growth, that is just choosing the lesser evil. There is no indication that Jean wasn't still afraid.

I've seen Dark Phoenix twice in the theaters. Jean's arc wasn't overcoming fear, but gaining control over her destiny and powers. Similar to the theme of Days of Future Past and Charles' arc in that film. Simon Kinberg even said in a Screen Rant interview back in May that Dark Phoenix connects Days of Future Past's ending, which had a voice over about changing one's destiny.

https://screenrant.com/xmen-dark-pho...nect-director/

In an interview Kinberg said that he wanted Jean to be in control of her destiny.

Another fresh update in Dark Phoenix that lends to Jean's agency is the absence of Wolverine, the only one who managed to kill Jean in The Last Stand. Kinberg claims that it was a blessing in disguise that Hugh Jackman's character could not possibly be a part of Dark Phoenix after what transpired in Days of Future Past and Logan. "I didn't want a man to be the end of Jean's story. We finally have a female protagonist and this movie is about empowered women. I didn't want a man to be the person to make the final decision for her. I wanted her to make that decision. I didn't want Scott or Charles or Erik or someone else is in control of Jean's destiny. I wanted her to be in control of her own destiny," says Kinberg.
    https://www.firstpost.com/entertainm...t-6752851.html

The movie even had about opening and closing narration similar to Days of Future Past talking about destiny.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Speaking of Jean’s arc.

Like the first 2, not too keen on the rest. Didn't even bother with the latest one.

That's about it really.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

ssirturn

I did this fan art of Sophia Lillis (IT, Sharp Objects) as Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix.

Jean.jpg

SMH

Skrull concept art.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Pondering the original trilogy X-Men movies and why they turned out a lot better than the reboot FC cast of X-Men films.

Both trilogies share DOFP. That leaves us with:

X1 vs FC
    X2 vs Apocalypse
    X3 vs Dark Phoenix

I can say, personally, that the FC movies made missteps by not doing more with the eclectic cast of characters they had available and the overexposure and inflated importance of JLaw Mystique. But the OG movies did a lot with a little, by today’s standards and have a charm to them. A charm only FC managed to capture and was absent from Apocalypse and Phoenix.

What do you guys think held the new movies back?
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Grain of salt but there are rumors that Marvel is considering a major change to Magneto's background should he appear in the MCU. While the First Class movies managed to mostly dodge this by being set in period (and the comics of course messed around with his age in the 70s), maybe they plan to have a fairly youthful Magneto in present day MCU, and a Magneto likely born in the 20s or 30s would be elderly at this time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Grain of salt but there are rumors that Marvel is considering a major change to Magneto's background should he appear in the MCU. While the First Class movies managed to mostly dodge this by being set in period (and the comics of course messed around with his age in the 70s), maybe they plan to have a fairly youthful Magneto in present day MCU, and a Magneto likely born in the 20s or 30s would be elderly at this time.
    Truth told, I'm not sure the MCU should use Magneto at all. Don't get me wrong: I adore the character, but changing his origin like that (regardless of necessity) is just gonna piss people off. I think the MCU X-Men could easily use Exodus (or someone similar) to maintain the Magneto role while avoiding the potential confusion an altered Magneto origin would bring to the general audience. At this point, I think Magneto's origin is as entrenched in the mainstream as it is in the comics.

If you're looking to have a villain that has a similarly close relationship to Xavier, integrate the Juggernaut more into the franchise and play up how unstoppable the guy can be. He was fun as can be in Deapdool, but I'd love to see him go against an entire X-Men lineup.

Back to Magneto, I honestly don't think the MCU could give us a better Magneto than either McKellen or Fassbender. Say what you will about the franchise overall, but those two were basically perfect as Magneto.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Truth told, I'm not sure the MCU should use Magneto at all. Don't get me wrong: I adore the character, but changing his origin like that (regardless of necessity) is just gonna piss people off. I think the MCU X-Men could easily use Exodus (or someone similar) to maintain the Magneto role while avoiding the potential confusion an altered Magneto origin would bring to the general audience. At this point, I think Magneto's origin is as entrenched in the mainstream as it is in the comics.

If you're looking to have a villain that has a similarly close relationship to Xavier, integrate the Juggernaut more into the franchise and play up how unstoppable the guy can be. He was fun as can be in Deapdool, but I'd love to see him go against an entire X-Men lineup.

Back to Magneto, I honestly don't think the MCU could give us a better Magneto than either McKellen or Fassbender. Say what you will about the franchise overall, but those two were basically perfect as Magneto.
    See, I can't get on board with that last part. Fassbender was close and if he had better material to work with he might have been perfect. McKellen was always too Grandpa Mags for me. He had the regal nature of Magneto, but lacked the authority and magnificence of the character. At no point did he give off the intimidation factor I think Magneto needs to have to fully capture him.

I think people will riot if they get a bad Magneto origin, but I do believe it can be different and still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Pondering the original trilogy X-Men movies and why they turned out a lot better than the reboot FC cast of X-Men films.

Both trilogies share DOFP. That leaves us with:

X1 vs FC
    X2 vs Apocalypse
    X3 vs Dark Phoenix

I can say, personally, that the FC movies made missteps by not doing more with the eclectic cast of characters they had available and the overexposure and inflated importance of JLaw Mystique. But the OG movies did a lot with a little, by today’s standards and have a charm to them. A charm only FC managed to capture and was absent from Apocalypse and Phoenix.

What do you guys think held the new movies back?
    With Dark Phoenix, it didn’t focus on Mystique as she was only in the movie for 10 minutes and was only used as the midpoint death so that Jean can have a low point.

What hold it back was was wildly mismarketed as a tonally different movie. But only partly but it’s still not a great movie.

Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-16-2019 at 12:16 PM.