Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    From what I’ve read before Logan just about all the original actors wanted to return to their roles. If I had to guess it was because of JLaw’s popularity.
    But what about even before any of the First Class actors were signed? Perhaps they thought they could bank on Fassbender, Jlaw, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Fox screwed up, the First Class reboot was a mistake, Donner was doing a good job with the franchise. Unfortunately, Fox gave control to Kinberg and he drove it into the ground.
    The First Class reboot became a huge mistake when fox decided to turn what was supposed to be a prequel trilogy to an ongoing reboot. The mistake became irreversible when they gave Kinberg control of the new reboot.First Class ties well to only Days of future past and Logan not Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The First Class reboot became a huge mistake when fox decided to turn what was supposed to be a prequel trilogy to an ongoing reboot. The mistake became irreversible when they gave Kinberg control of the new reboot.First Class ties well to only Days of future past and Logan not Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.
    I'm not sure I get that; while Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix don't mix as well as could be wished (given that DP's ignored the setup how the Phoenix powers worked for a new "comics accurate" model), both movies do a pretty well building off of character bits and arcs from First Class. Logan doesn't seem to tie to First Class at all, really only referencing concepts from the original movies. Even ignoring the idea that it apparently was an AU all along, it seems to be relevant to the series as a whole in the meta sense (e.g. it being the last time these actors play these characters and the weight of everything being tied into the fact that we've followed them playing them onscreen for years).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I slightly disagree with DoFP cleanly ended the prequel and added bonus reboot the timeline. The big mistake Fox was thinking it need Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence and bringing them back was the issue in the last movies. It is because the main characters Scott,Jean and Storm have to share character development with Magneto,Mystique and Xavier. Dark Phoenix spends as much time on Xavier plotline as it does Jean grey and spends good amount of time on Magneto and Mystique over Storm and Scott. Dark Phoenix prove the young cast could have carried the franchise if they got the keys. They could have done Apocalypse in early 90s focus on main students but with J law and Fassbender and how much you have to pay them it makes so you have to focus on them and studio of course doesn't mind because they are star power you can use to promote the film. It is shame the young stars big fame came a little later because it would have been easier to let Jlaw walk because you have Sansa Stark and the actor who starred in ready player one.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

given that DP's ignored the setup how the Phoenix powers worked for a new "comics accurate"
    How did they ignore it? In the original trilogy they established that Jean’s fiery aura was just psychic energy from her mutant powers. Zak Penn even said that there was no cosmic entity in the film universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I slightly disagree with DoFP cleanly ended the prequel and added bonus reboot the timeline. The big mistake Fox was thinking it need Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence and bringing them back was the issue in the last movies. It is because the main characters Scott,Jean and Storm have to share character development with Magneto,Mystique and Xavier. Dark Phoenix spends as much time on Xavier plotline as it does Jean grey and spends good amount of time on Magneto and Mystique over Storm and Scott. Dark Phoenix prove the young cast could have carried the franchise if they got the keys. They could have done Apocalypse in early 90s focus on main students but with J law and Fassbender and how much you have to pay them it makes so you have to focus on them and studio of course doesn't mind because they are star power you can use to promote the film. It is shame the young stars big fame came a little later because it would have been easier to let Jlaw walk because you have Sansa Stark and the actor who starred in ready player one.
    From what I heard/seem Scott had much bigger presence in the pre-reshoot version of Dark Phoenix, more than Magneto and Beast.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-02-2019 at 03:05 AM.

How did they ignore it? In the original trilogy they established that Jean’s fiery aura was just psychic energy from her mutant powers. Zak Penn even said that there was no cosmic entity in the film universe.
    My point, in the original movies and Apocalypse, the Phoenix is all Jean with her powers at full capacity (like Captain Marvel without the Kree chip limiting her). Suddenly, in DP, it's all cosmic energy Jean absorbs. Either would work as the basis of a story, but the filmmakers didn't commit to the one they were already telling.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Every single time we've seen the big flaming Phoenix, its been all Jean. The cosmic force never showed itself as a flaming Phoenix, and the only time we see the flaming bird is at the very end when Jean is free from the force at least.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Here is what Chris Claremont would have done post-DOFP. No more prequels.

Here is what Chris Claremont would have done post-DOFP. No more prequels.

Claremont is 100% correct. DOFP was a finale, there was no more need for prequels. What should have happened after DOFP was to explore other parts of the X-Men universe and give the core series a hard reboot in 6-8 years. I had to stop taking this franchise seriously after Logan.

Claremont is 100% correct. DOFP was a finale, there was no more need for prequels. What should have happened after DOFP was to explore other parts of the X-Men universe and give the core series a hard reboot in 6-8 years. I had to stop taking this franchise seriously after Logan.
    They didn't make more prequels, just sequels with the prequel cast. Besides, IMHO, I'm not sure that was the problem in and of itself, but the execution not always working as well as could be wished. (Besides, the exploration of the rest of the universe was in the works when the Disney buyout scrapped the series.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They didn't make more prequels, just sequels with the prequel cast. Besides, IMHO, I'm not sure that was the problem in and of itself, but the execution not always working as well as could be wished. (Besides, the exploration of the rest of the universe was in the works when the Disney buyout scrapped the series.)
    They are set between the ending of DOFP, so they are interquel.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 07-04-2019 at 12:02 PM.

They are set between the ending of DOFP, so they are interquel.
    Technically, but that's kinda putting a fine point on it (not to mention that DP kinda invalidates the DOFP ending).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The First Class reboot came about because Fox was concerned that the budget for the original franchise was getting too high for their tastes and they wanted a simpler, more "back to the basics" approach. This all went out the window when Avengers made a billion dollars and Fox decided to go with Days of Future Past a lot sooner than Matthew Vaughn wanted, more or less forcing his exit.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The First Class reboot came about because Fox was concerned that the budget for the original franchise was getting too high for their tastes and they wanted a simpler, more "back to the basics" approach. This all went out the window when Avengers made a billion dollars and Fox decided to go with Days of Future Past a lot sooner than Matthew Vaughn wanted, more or less forcing his exit.
    Can I get a source to this, please?