Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    There were no blanks. Its explicitly stated in the movie a few times that Jean was suffering from a psychosis as the result of her repressed child trauma.

Here is a link to the script: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...n-dark-phoenix

Preconceived notions can effect how people seen things. Its called selective perception. Here is a famous example:

So yeah, marketing of a movie can effect how you perceive it.
    Again, I get what the movie was trying to do. I just don't think it ended up translating well into the movie. Kinberg in a lot of fronts failed to connect to the audience with the narrative he was trying to tell.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again, I get what the movie was trying to do. I just don't think it ended up translating well into the movie. Kinberg in a lot of fronts failed to connect to the audience with the narrative he was trying to tell.
    I see where you are coming from. But you have to also take into considering that most audience members went to see a classic superhero summer film about the X-Men facing their greatest foe and that it will be a grand finale where their final battle will be their greatest, implying that the stakes will be higher than ever. Because that is what it was marketed to be. When really it was designed to be a small scale psychological thriller about a schizophrenic woman with a focus on personal stakes rather than global stakes and have less spectacle, that is why they dropped X-Men from the title and planned on releasing it in the fall, they wanted people to know it was a different movie. And it was shot when they had no idea that Disney would buy Fox months after they had finished shooting, so it wasn't designed to be a finale either.

Its a known fact that mismarketing hurts movies. As Chris Stuckmann points out in this video at 3:15.

Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.

I see where you are coming from. But you have to also take into considering that most audience members went to see a classic superhero summer film about the X-Men facing their greatest foe and that it will be a grand finale where their final battle will be their greatest, implying that the stakes will be higher than ever. Because that is what it was marketed to be. When really it was designed to be a small scale psychological thriller about a schizophrenic woman with a focus on personal stakes rather than global stakes and have less spectacle, that is why they dropped X-Men from the title and planned on releasing it in the fall, they wanted people to know it was a different movie. And it was shot when they had no idea that Disney would buy Fox months after they had finished shooting, so it wasn't designed to be a finale either.

Its a known fact that mismarketing hurts movies. As Chris Stuckmann points out in this video at 3:15.

It was a bland mediocre movie even perfect dead on marketing wasn't going to save this turkey from sinking.

Perfect Clip to Describe Fox after Dark Phoenix came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was a bland mediocre movie even perfect dead on marketing wasn't going to save this turkey from sinking.
    I agree

Perfect Clip to Describe Fox after Dark Phoenix came out.

Love it (and I'm someone who thinks the movie was okay).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I agree
    Oh, I believe this movie would have tanked at the Box Office regardless but mainly due to the competition and lack of promotion. Shazam was well-received but was only in the 300 million range box office wise.

Reception-wise do I think this movie would have been held in high regard by audiences? No, but the response definitely wouldn't have been as negative.

Oh, I believe this movie would have tanked at the Box Office regardless but mainly due to the competition and lack of promotion. Shazam was well-received but was only in the 300 million range box office wise.

Reception-wise do I think this movie would have been held in high regard by audiences? No, but the response definitely wouldn't have been as negative.
    Shazam only made 350 million... but it only cost like 100 million. Given it tripled it's budget and got fairly good reviews, by most objective standards it was a sucess.

Dark Phoenix on the other hand cost $200 million. It would likely have had to double that to even break even. So that movie was pretty much doomed.

Shazam only made 350 million... but it only cost like 100 million. Given it tripled it's budget and got fairly good reviews, by most objective standards it was a sucess.

Dark Phoenix on the other hand cost $200 million. It would likely have had to double that to even break even. So that movie was pretty much doomed.
    I’m not saying Shazam wasn’t success, just that Dark Phoenix would have made that much money at best at the Box Office.

I’m not saying Shazam wasn’t success, just that Dark Phoenix would have made that much money at best at the Box Office.
    But even if it did, it woyld still be consideted a flop. Shazam money probably doesn't even allow Dark Phoenix to break even.

But even if it did, it woyld still be consideted a flop. Shazam money probably doesn't even allow Dark Phoenix to break even.
    I think that's what they are saying. The movie was gonna a fail no matter what but the marketing killed it to a further degree.

BANNED

LOL, a YouTuber's opinion piece about movies being ruined by marketing, and his first thought after stating so is, "Well, there are trailers that get you hyped".

The trailer for Logan was good, and fed the movie. A huge part of it was the music, NIN. Same for the trailer for Days of Future Past, but it was more that the trailer told a story on its own. The trailer for Dark Phoenix was difficult to interpret, kind of scattered and didn't tell a story or have great music.

Funny enough, most of people's conclusions about all three of these movies do kind of mirror natural conclusions one could make about their respective trailers.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The trailer for Logan was good, and fed the movie. A huge part of it was the music, NIN. Same for the trailer for Days of Future Past, but it was more that the trailer told a story on its own. The trailer for Dark Phoenix was difficult to interpret, kind of scattered and didn't tell a story or have great music.

Funny enough, most of people's conclusions about all three of these movies do kind of mirror natural conclusions one could make about their respective trailers.
    Dark Phoenix trailer properly represent how I felt about the moive..... Meh it was a movie. So the story aspect might have been leading but quality wise it matched up for me

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

dark phoenix trailer was bland, Sophie turners facial expression was a real bummer to look at. Not once did she look scary compared to the actress in X3. DOFP first teaser trailer was very interesting. it made the sentinels look like the good guys, I liked the second one more with Kennedy's assassination. I was like this is how to make deep thoughtful comic films and interweave it well with real world events.

Also make people guess the plot of the film but in a goodway. the youtube comments are funny, some think this is real. LOL
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-27-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Not once did she look scary compared to the actress in X3.
    Well she wasn’t suppose to be a villain.