Default Best Wolverine story

So I'm 43, and I've been reading comics since I was 13 so I'm 30 years deep now. I've actually had the luxury of jumping UP AND DOWN in happiness when an Oscar was won by someone playing the Joker, and NOT just playing the Joker, but by playing the Joker after Jack Nicholson, an Oscar winning actor that played the Joker first, had won an Oscar by playing a comic book character. I still say that Unbreakable, a comicbook movie not based on a comic book, Batman Begins, and Dark Knight are the reasons why there are so many good comic book movies being made. Other then Unbreakable, it's only been about 15 years of more mature comic book movies being made, but since I started reading comics at the age of 13, there's been adult themed comic book stories been written. Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Killing Joke, Watchman are the prime examples. Now those are Batman books, and Watchman for so long was a story about characters that represented other characters that no knew who they were anyway.
    There has ALWAYS been one character that stood out tho. Even tho Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman had movies, or cartoons (before they were called animated, they were called cartoons) there was one character that a LOT of people knew about. He had a cool name, maybe the best name argumentatively, with a weird punk rockish hair style, and knives on his hands. Those that didn't read comics and thought comics were for children would see him, and wonder naively how a childrens product could have a character with such a cool name, have knives on his hands. I'm talking about of course WOLVERINE!!!!
    I first saw him in a Spider-man and friends Saturday cartoon with an Australian accent and fell in love. I got into comics, and jumped on X-Men because of him. Over the years, he's become my favorite character and relatable character. My favorite stories by him are Mark Millar's Enemy of the State part one and two, and Old Man Logan, but I love the Old Man Logan run by Jeff Lemire drawn by Andrea Sorrentino. The art in Lemire's Old Man Logan is insane. I thought it took a lot of balls to take on that run after Miller made such a classic, but Bendis did a great job, and Lemire did better job. I love a lot of Wolverine stories. I think Wolverine vs Spider-man back in the 80's really captured him the best. First off, it opens with Wolverine fighting baddies behind the Berlin wall, and it states how the blood was flowing, and going higher the the height of the wall, and comics in the 80's didn't state such things, but at the end when he's fighting Spider-man, Spider-man's narration is saying how Peter Parker pulls his punches, but he's hitting Wolverine as HARD as he can, and Wolverine is laughing at him. How his blows would break concrete walls, and he's doing nothing to stop Wolverine and Wolverine just keeps pushing forward. It shows why Wolverine is as tough as he is, and can fight the Hulk and just get up and keep fighting. I relate with Wolverine because I'm from Chicago and I'm a scrapper and I've been in a lot of fights, and I've stood up for people against bullies. When Bendis was writing the Avengers and put Wolverine in the book and Captain America was hesitant because he kills, Iron Man told Cap that's he's not a killer, but he's a samurai and that made sense. what are your favorite Wolverine stories?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Old Man Logan
    The original 4-part Wolverine story by Miller

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjam2233 View Post
    So I'm 43, and I've been reading comics since I was 13 so I'm 30 years deep now. I've actually had the luxury of jumping UP AND DOWN in happiness when an Oscar was won by someone playing the Joker, and NOT just playing the Joker, but by playing the Joker after Jack Nicholson, an Oscar winning actor that played the Joker first, had won an Oscar by playing a comic book character. I still say that Unbreakable, a comicbook movie not based on a comic book, Batman Begins, and Dark Knight are the reasons why there are so many good comic book movies being made. Other then Unbreakable, it's only been about 15 years of more mature comic book movies being made, but since I started reading comics at the age of 13, there's been adult themed comic book stories been written. Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Killing Joke, Watchman are the prime examples. Now those are Batman books, and Watchman for so long was a story about characters that represented other characters that no knew who they were anyway.
    There has ALWAYS been one character that stood out tho. Even tho Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman had movies, or cartoons (before they were called animated, they were called cartoons) there was one character that a LOT of people knew about. He had a cool name, maybe the best name argumentatively, with a weird punk rockish hair style, and knives on his hands. Those that didn't read comics and thought comics were for children would see him, and wonder naively how a childrens product could have a character with such a cool name, have knives on his hands. I'm talking about of course WOLVERINE!!!!
    I first saw him in a Spider-man and friends Saturday cartoon with an Australian accent and fell in love. I got into comics, and jumped on X-Men because of him. Over the years, he's become my favorite character and relatable character. My favorite stories by him are Mark Millar's Enemy of the State part one and two, and Old Man Logan, but I love the Old Man Logan run by Jeff Lemire drawn by Andrea Sorrentino. The art in Lemire's Old Man Logan is insane. I thought it took a lot of balls to take on that run after Miller made such a classic, but Bendis did a great job, and Lemire did better job. I love a lot of Wolverine stories. I think Wolverine vs Spider-man back in the 80's really captured him the best. First off, it opens with Wolverine fighting baddies behind the Berlin wall, and it states how the blood was flowing, and going higher the the height of the wall, and comics in the 80's didn't state such things, but at the end when he's fighting Spider-man, Spider-man's narration is saying how Peter Parker pulls his punches, but he's hitting Wolverine as HARD as he can, and Wolverine is laughing at him. How his blows would break concrete walls, and he's doing nothing to stop Wolverine and Wolverine just keeps pushing forward. It shows why Wolverine is as tough as he is, and can fight the Hulk and just get up and keep fighting. I relate with Wolverine because I'm from Chicago and I'm a scrapper and I've been in a lot of fights, and I've stood up for people against bullies. When Bendis was writing the Avengers and put Wolverine in the book and Captain America was hesitant because he kills, Iron Man told Cap that's he's not a killer, but he's a samurai and that made sense. what are your favorite Wolverine stories?
    Next time please try to have a less condenced block of text.

When you say "there's been adult themed comic" and you name only super-hero comics, you're missing on many many adult themed comics that are not super-heroes that you should also read:
    • Preacher
    • 100 Bullets
    • Sin City
    • Hellblazer

Comming back to your question, I am not an expert in Wolverine but here are a few suggestion of tpb to read:

And Now... The Wolverine! (1974) - Incredible Hulk #181

Wolverine: Wizard Masterpiece Edition - which contains:
    1. Wendigo (1980) - Uncanny X-Men #139-140
    2. Wolverine vs The Hulk (1988) - Incredible Hulk #340
    3. Wolverine and Captain America in WWII (1990) - Uncanny X-Men #268
    4. Viper & Silver Samurai (1983) - Uncanny X-Men #172-173

X-Men: Ghosts (1986) - Uncanny X-Men #199-209 - Including issue #205: Wounded Wolf

Lost in the Funhouse (1987) - Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 - included in X-Men: Mutant Massacre Omnibus

X-Men Visionaries: Jim Lee - which contains
    1. The Cradle Will Fall (1989) - Uncanny X-Men #248
    2. Broken Chains (1990) - Uncanny X-Men #256-258
    3. Rogue Redux (1990) - Uncanny X-Men #268-269
    4. Crossroads - Uncanny X-Men #273-277

Wolverine Epic Collection: Madripoor Nights (1988) - Wolverine vol.2 #1-16

Wolverine: Weapon X Unbound (1991) - Wolverine vol.2 #47-57

Wolverine: Not Dead Yet (1997) - Wolverine vol.2 #119-122

Wolverine Epic Collection: Blood Debt (2000) - which contains
    1. Blood Debt - Wolverine vol.2 #150–158
    2. Wolverine Annual '99
    3. Wolverine: The Origin - Wolverine: The Origin #1-6

The Death of Wolverine (2007) - Wolverine vol.3 #56-61

Wolverine: Old Man Logan (2008) - Wolverine vol. 3 #66–72 + Giant-Size Wolverine Old Man Logan #1

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender vol.1-2 or Omnibus (2011-2013) - which contains
    1. Apocalypse Solution - Uncanny X-Force #1-4
    2. Deathlok Nation - Uncanny X-Force #5-7
    3. The Dark Angel Saga - Uncanny X-Force #8-19
    4. Otherworld - Uncanny X-Force #20-24
    5. Final Execution - Uncanny X-Force #25-35

For a more complete guide, you can look into this: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/wolve...05-1440/guide/
    Last edited by jb681131; 06-15-2019 at 12:22 AM.

My all-time favorite is also from the 80's, Captain America Annual #8 with legendary artwork from Mike Zeck.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

The Death of Wolverine (2007) - Wolverine vol.3 #56-61
    Do not read this. This is one of the dumbest stories of all time. It's written by Marc Guggenheim...that's all you need to know.

Frank Miller to me is the Ernest Hemingway of comics, or the Stephan King. Dark Knight Returns, Wolverine, His Daredevil run.

I tend to run run on when I'm posting and drinking mixed with other harder drugs. Sorry. I get to caught to up sometimes. Last thing I want to be is hard to follow. My grammer is horrible. My dialogue is something else, but it's live and hard to write down sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjam2233 View Post
    Frank Miller to me is the Ernest Hemingway of comics, or the Stephan King. Dark Knight Returns, Wolverine, His Daredevil run.
    You missed Sin City and 300 by Miller. What's impressive with Daredevil, is that he's also doing the art.
    But this was Miller in his youth. It's been years since he's done some notable work. He's even done some of the worst comics ever to be made such as All-Star Batman & Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You missed Sin City and 300 by Miller. What's impressive with Daredevil, is that he's also doing the art.
    But this was Miller in his youth. It's been years since he's done some notable work. He's even done some of the worst comics ever to be made such as All-Star Batman & Robin.
    Also, don't forget Frank Miller's Holy Terror.

I've got a soft spot for X-Men #205 "Wounded Wolf"

The original Weapon X miniseries/graphic novel by Barry Windsor Smith is also a favourite. The original Claremont/Miller Wolverine miniseries set in Japan still holds up well, too.

Wolvie up against the Hellfire Club mercs in The Phoenix Saga was the first time he really got to shine solo, and is classic Wolverine.
    Last edited by Panic; 06-15-2019 at 05:46 AM.