Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should The Mandarin become Shang-Chi's arch-enemy in the comics?

He's becoming Shang-Chi's arch-enemy in the movies. And he does have the same powerset as Shang-Chi, i.e. martial arts and ability to enhance their bodies with mystic chi.

On the other hand, the Mandarin has a bunch of other things that put him out of Shang's weight-class: i.e. the rings, genius intellect, enormous amounts of money and criminal/corporate/politic power.

And of course there is the weight of history. Then again history doesn't matter much in comics anymore.

I dunno. What do you think?

If they make Mandarin Shang-Chi's father in the movie, I wonder if the comics would try to retcon it...although Shang isn't as likely to have a continuing comic as Iron Man, so I'm not sure how much Shang/Mandarin mileage they can get in the comics.

I don't think Ghost is suddenly an Ant-Man and Wasp villain.

Why not? Kingpin can be a Daredevil and a Spider-Man villain.

I've always been one for blending the two characters. Zheng Zu finds the Mandarin's rings and becomes the new Mandarin. It's still the same Zheng Zu, but now he has the Mandarin title. Elevates Shang's father and Shang Chi.

There are some hurdles. I believe both Zheng Zu and the Mandarin are dead. :/ . But hey this is comics. Easy to resurrect and make this happen.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Since he's Fu Manchu, and the whole point of using the Mandarin seems to be to drop Fu Manchu, I think Zeng Zu is likely to remain dead. Which means this would most likely be the Tem Borjigin Mandarin.

I think a fight between Mandarin and Shang would be more interesting than Fu Manchu, since the Mandarin has top-tier martial arts skills and athleticism, and Fu Manchu does not.

I definitely think so. Iron man has a better archnemesis in stane anyway

After 2020, I want the next Iron Man writer to take a crack at cleaning up the Mandarin. Then he can be in whatever.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

They should resurrect moving shadow and have him take his father's mantle now that Zheng Zu is dead.

I suppose Shang Chi and Iron Man could share Mandarin as a foe bu I don't think he Shang should become Mandarin's son in the comics.

Mandarin already has his kids Temugin and Sasha Hammer.

Mandarin's a team beater. he should be China's archenemy and, to a lesser extent, those who have made it their business to defend China from being conquered.

why not. no big deal. have fun. but don't let the bad guys win in the end.

Mandarin's always been kinda eh. If the movie can come up with a cool take on them, they should incorporate it into the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Mandarin's always been kinda eh. If the movie can come up with a cool take on them, they should incorporate it into the comics.
    I wonder how it would compare to the other updates they've done of him, especially if they merge him with Shang's dad.

I find it hard to believe Disney can't buy the Sax Rohmer estate rather cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I find it hard to believe Disney can't buy the Sax Rohmer estate rather cheaply.
    They're lacking in motive, not in means.

Even if they did for some reason, I doubt they'd be bringing back the name Fu Manchu. He'd stay Zheng Zu.

I think they will go with the Tem Borjigin name, since making him ethnic Mongolian rather than ethnic Han provides an extra layer of distance from the sort of stuff that offends the CCP.