Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Symbiote Spider-man #3 - thoughts?

So, the latest issue is out. Kind of surprised that there is no thread discussing it on here. This series continues to be a good read. But I know a few Black Cat fans on other sites are up in arms about how Felicia is depicted in it (If you haven't read it, Mysterio blackmails Felicia into getting a sample of the Symbiote. She does this by waiting in Pete's apartment where she strips, seduces and sleeps with him. Drugging him, getting the sample while he is knocked out, and leaves.)

So, yeah... what did you all think?

wow. Uh, oh-kay.

.... so was the symbiote "asleep" when Felicia got the sample? seems like it would "rebel" or wake Peter up or something. Eh. never mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    So, the latest issue is out. Kind of surprised that there is no thread discussing it on here. This series continues to be a good read. But I know a few Black Cat fans on other sites are up in arms about how Felicia is depicted in it (If you haven't read it, Mysterio blackmails Felicia into getting a sample of the Symbiote. She does this by waiting in Pete's apartment where she strips, seduces and sleeps with him. Drugging him, getting the sample while he is knocked out, and leaves.)

So, yeah... what did you all think?
    I really liked this issue. Didn't have the time to get a thread going myself so, thanks.

After the first issue, my feelings on this series was that, well, it seems good enough to keep up with but as it's gone on, I've found myself genuinely warming up to it more and more. Land's art is terrific here. Love seeing him tackle some of Spidey's classic rouge gallery and his Felicia, unsurprisingly, looks great. I see that there's a Symbiote Spidey tie-in to Absolute Carnage so hopefully that means that Marvel wants to keep this going a little past the initial mini.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Best part might have been the suit freaking out after Black Cat left.

I thought this issue exposed the issue the story has with pacing. I know it cannot do too much given it takes place during past events, and I like the Mysterio-Kingpin behind the scenes plot, but there needed to be a second plot that was keeping Spider-Man distracted and in the action, and not one tied directly to Mysterio. It does use the status quo at the time well enough, like Black Cat's power secret, and I like that this issue delved a little more into Felicia and Peter.

Something I asked about in the Venom thread, but what did everyone think about the last (after credit) page? Is that Eddie Brock coming to town? Is the kid he talking to going to show up again?

i like the art. it's good to see Mysterio out of his fishbowl every once in a while. the Spot doesn't look as dorky too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i like the art. it's good to see Mysterio out of his fishbowl every once in a while. the Spot doesn't look as dorky too.
    Spot's in it? He was not introduced until Spectacular Spider-Man #98, after the symbiote was discovered as sentient, blasted off by Reed Richards, kept on FF glass, and escaped to re-find Peter again.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Spot's in it? He was not introduced until Spectacular Spider-Man #98, after the symbiote was discovered as sentient, blasted off by Reed Richards, kept on FF glass, and escaped to re-find Peter again.
    he's been in all 3 issues, irrc. he's the bespectacled scientist that is aiding Mysterio/working for Kingpin. they even mention the experiment that leads to him becoming the Spot in this issue. i refer to him by that name because i never remember how to spell his real name. i think it's Johnny Ohnn.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-14-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Arrow

While I enjoyed the issues overall I was a bit disappointed by the portrayal of Felicia and the fact that Symbiote did not immediately react to her duplicity, otherwise, it was pretty good IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    He isn't the Spot yet. He is currently doing research into the Cloak and Darkforce for Kingpin. Quentin and him are friends with history. As for the plot holes? Yes, there are a few glaring ones.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Something I asked about in the Venom thread, but what did everyone think about the last (after credit) page? Is that Eddie Brock coming to town? Is the kid he talking to going to show up again?
    Glad you brought this up. Both Symbiote Spider-man and Venom have these "after credit" pages. Initially I thought it might have been Absolute Carnage related. But it is by Cates. Anybody know what they are about? Must have missed the news about them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    wow. Uh, oh-kay.

.... so was the symbiote "asleep" when Felicia got the sample? seems like it would "rebel" or wake Peter up or something. Eh. never mind.
    It was off to the side on a chair. She cut a tip off the finger. It regenerates immediately while her back is turned. Once she leaves, the Symbiote (which is pretty mad) bonds with Peter while he is still knocked out.

BANNED

So far I'm really enjoying it. Art is spectacular. I'll reserve judgement on Felicia until the end.

Astonishing Member

I thought the third issue of Symbiote Spider-Man was cool,story wise and art wise.
    This all new untold tale of Spider-Man is interesting because it references a lot of the continuity of that era.So it reads as a story of that time but the new story of Spider-Man and Mysterio is a page turner.Black Cat,Kingpin and the several apearences of villains as Electro in this issue makes this limited series one of my favorites comic books curently.
    And the art by Greg Land is awesome in this limited series.
    The post credit page is related to the Absolute Carnage limited series,several new comic books will be having a page post the credits because of Absolute Carnage.I would say that it´s Eddie Brock during the Symbiote Spider-Man era in that page.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

The latest Venom issue's after-credit pages shows CDC agents discovering the Carnage biomass underground in San Francisco, and then being devoured by rats under its control. I am curious as to how the Symbiote Spider-Man one-shot is going to tie in to Absolute Carnage, due to the time distance between the two periods. Maybe Eddie will guess the true nature of the symbiote by observing Spider-Man in action, possibly even coming into contact with the symbiote, and ever so briefly being able to see into its consciousness.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    So far I'm really enjoying it. Art is spectacular. I'll reserve judgement on Felicia until the end.
    Greg Land takes a fair bit of heat from the fan base. But I am really loving how he draws Mysterio in this.