Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I like the idea of the Kents being alive. If for no other reason than dead parents being a superhero cliche. Besides, he already has one set of dead parents.

I know the Kents being dead was a staple of the Pre-Crisis Superman. But I never quite got Pre-Crisis Superman. There are a number of DC characters where I like their Pre-Crisis versions better than their modern versions (Flash, Hawkman, Metal Men, Elongated Man, the Justice Legaue from back when they hung out with Snapper Carr and before they got all self-important) but Superman isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    What are the chances that only Martha is alive?

In the panel its said As Ma Kent says.

A question to fans of New 52 action run by Morrison. Can that Superman, T-shirt wearing, social crusader work with Martha being alive? I think we can all agree that Pa Kent was stellar. He informed Superman's worldview. He had the deathbed speech. But Martha wasn't as memorable. What if she were alive? I would really like Morrison's origin to be the origin. But i love the Kents. Both of them being dead makes me sad. I really liked Martha in the recent films. Man of Steel film had the tragic death. As well as the warmth which Kents bring by being alive.It looks like i am powering the Doomsday/Superman at the end of that Action run. Thinking of ways to improve Superman.
    Rereading it I think the plan is to keep Pa dead via Brainiac or heart attack or whatever and to keep Ma alive. Basically restore the Johns status quo, which after rereading the Superman 2000 pitch and seeing that was also the plan for the Quartret I’m becoming more at peace with the idea.

And they’ve already gotten rid of the Morrison origin for the Johns Secret Origin, which I’m sad about because it’s my favorite origin too. Morrison’s Superman was in Morrison’s own words, deeply affected by the death of the Kents. He acted the way he did because of their deaths in a lot of ways, and I don’t know if you could retain that guy with the Kents alive. It would certainly make for an interesting conversation with Ma after Clark dangles Glenmorgan over a balcony lol!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The main reason that Ma and Pa were resurrected after the 1985 Crisis was largely because it was initially decided that Byrne's Superman was going to be a rookie from the start and we'd be following him in "real comic book time" learning the ropes. Since the idea was he was never Superboy in the new history,it sort of made sense the Kents would be around in Clark's early career.

Of course at that time the whole idea of post Crisis DCU was that it was going be a clean new beginning for everyone. Everyone would be starting anew.At the eleventh hour the other writters got cold feet and balked as a fresh start for everyone and just approached it ultimately as only a fresh start for Wonder Woman and a semi-quasi fresh start for Superman, a new person in the Flash uniform,and a slight tonal and direction shift for most everyone else, forcing Byrne to pretty much use the MOS mini series to get his Superman in the place where he had still been around for nearly a decade of comic book time in the DCU,and he kept the Kents alive probably with the idea he himself would kill them off as his run continued,and of course he left only two and a half years into his run,and the people who followed him enjoyed working with the Kents so much they decided to keep them around.

If I remember correctly,when Jim Shooter approached Byrne in 84 to pitch his take on Superman for the proposed Marvel published relaunch, his take was then very similar to his MOS,but if I remember correctly he did have Jonathan die and Martha live on. I suspect if he had continued on Superman post 1988 or DC had gone through with hard rebooting everything post Crisis, Jonathan probably would have died much sooner in Post-crisis continuity than he ultimately did.

If I had my druthers,I'd prefer both Kents passed on before Clark put on the cape ,mainly because that's how Jerry and Joe intended it to be,but honestly,in most pop culture beyond comics,one or both of the Kents are depicted as alive into Clark's adulthood,so I understand why the powers that be want to bring them back.

I never completely bought the complaints keeping them around stunts Superman's growth as a character or that the comics over used them as a crutch. Stuff like the Lois and Clark show and the animated series in the 90s did that more than the comics ever did.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'm not a fan of the Kents being around, but if it's just Martha then i can live with it though it's not something I want to see.

What could be interesting though is what her relationship with Jor-El could be like now that he's back. We could get some interesting mileage out of that if done right. This whole era of superman comics feels like a giant elseworlds. Its like that's all they've been mining for stories since 2011.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Kents being around, but if it's just Martha then i can live with it though it's not something I want to see.

What could be interesting though is what her relationship with Jor-El could be like now that he's back. We could get some interesting mileage out of that if done right. This whole era of superman comics feels like a giant elseworlds. Its like that's all they've been mining for stories since 2011.
    I wish it was just Martha coming back, if not keeping them both dead.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, this is an interesting read:

https://www.newsarama.com/45575-wait...alive-now.html

There seem to be hints that the Kents are now alive again. My guess is, Doomsday Clock was supposed to address this but it's running so long that they just decided to move forward before it's finished. Bendis all but outright says this. We're also seeing hints of this with the JSA returning in JL. So what does this mean for current continuity? Assuming there even is a continuity anymore? Are we officially back to the pre-Flashpoint continuity now?
    I've figured this was the endgame since Johns announced Superman would play a role in Doomsday Clock. Its just.....inevitable.....that Johns would gravitate back to this. I will always appreciate his effort to bring some pre-Crisis stuff back in Secret Origin (not that Loeb hadn't started that years before....) but Johns really does not get what made the Silver-Bronze Age Superman tick. The Kents being alive is......unnecessary, and I think they add more to Clark's story dead than alive.

But this was always going to be what we got once Johns decided to screw with continuity and include Clark in it.

As for going back to pre-Flashpoint continuity......no. I dont think we are. I think a lot of elements and chunks of pre-Flashpoint will return (most already have) but there's been too many developments since 2011 that DC will want to hold onto. So whatever continuity becomes once all the Manhattan/Perpetua crap is over.....it might look like post-Crisis' younger brother, but its not going to be post-Crisis the way we remember it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Which is a good thing. Does anyone want Grounded back in canon? There was a lot of junk that’s better just left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post

That.....could actually be really interesting. Especially if Pa Kent remains dead.

Bendis is all about the family dynamics, and he seems to have plans for Jor that go beyond screwing up a summer trip with Jon, so.......

I dont want the Kents back at all, so as far as Im concerned Bendis can go crazy with it if Martha returns. It'd be worth having her and Jor hook up just to see the reaction here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The Kents returning would be ridiculous. I don't get why Clark can't love his parents but have lost them? He's an adult, that is what happens.
    I'm an adult and both my parents are alive. It happens sometimes.

Astonishing Member

We don't need both of them to be alive. I think a return to having Ma Kent alive (with Pa Kent having died) is the way to go. It has always been a nice compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    We don't need both of them to be alive. I think a return to having Ma Kent alive (with Pa Kent having died) is the way to go. It has always been a nice compromise.
    Why not have Ma be dead and Pa alive just to be different this time? We've already had it the other way around.

BANNED

Jor El and Martha fall in love...Jonathan remains dead.

Pretty great compromise

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Jonathon's brain gets put into Beppo. Sorry if I spoiled it for anyone.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I truly hope so. Here's why:

1. Clark has enough tragedy built-in to his origin. He's not a dark character, and it should stay that way. Same way I feel about Jay, Barry, Wally, & Bart. Legacy and a desire to good are all those characters need for motivation. Barry's mom's death and the incarceration of his father should be retconned ASAP.
    2. The occasional interactions with his parents were great, and the parts with them during the whole Death/Return arc were some of the most heartfelt.
    3. The relationships with the Lane side of the family have enough strife for Lois & Clark. Jor-El on top of that adds more. A functional, healthy side to the family is good, particularly for Jon.
    4. Jon with his grandparents would be great fun.
    5. It gives Connor a badly needed home & family. He's another member of the Superman family that has plenty of tragedy built-in to his origin.

So my vote would be bring them back and KEEP them alive and relatively well.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    I truly hope so. Here's why:

1. Clark has enough tragedy built-in to his origin. He's not a dark character, and it should stay that way. Same way I feel about Jay, Barry, Wally, & Bart. Legacy and a desire to good are all those characters need for motivation. Barry's mom's death and the incarceration of his father should be retconned ASAP.
    2. The occasional interactions with his parents were great, and the parts with them during the whole Death/Return arc were some of the most heartfelt.
    3. The relationships with the Lane side of the family have enough strife for Lois & Clark. Jor-El on top of that adds more. A functional, healthy side to the family is good, particularly for Jon.
    4. Jon with his grandparents would be great fun.
    5. It gives Connor a badly needed home & family. He's another member of the Superman family that has plenty of tragedy built-in to his origin.

So my vote would be bring them back and KEEP them alive and relatively well.
    Their deaths did not turn him into a dark character though. And it's how his creators originally envisioned him, and it stuck for a not insignificant length of time (1938-1986). That period was not dark in the slightest.

I don't view it as comparable to the death of Barry's mom, which is done in a darker way and a MUCH later addition to the mythos.