Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Fair enough that you feel that way but I don’t believe the majority of people feel the same as you do. When Tomasi took the Kents on a family vacation trip, I didn’t really have too much of a problem with the characterization (although there were a few points). It was warm feels and wholesome fun. It was also incredibly boring and dull and that’s when sales started to drop. People are not sticking around for 10 issues of “feel-good filler” they just won’t. It’s why I think you’re better off leaving them as flashbacks of inspiration.
    Actually, I was more using that to say just *how* much more important character is to me than anything else, not so much actually suggesting DC do that 10-issue as an actual story.

On the vacation issues, a lot of the contention around the Kent family trip was how out-of-character and sometimes blindly preachy (especially for two new reporters who've seen a thing or two) they were at times. People were riding the feel-good wave pretty well up until then. The issue at the fair was highly praised, for instance.

I mean, I absolutely would read that 10-issue if it was well-written, but I'm not saying a 10-issue is the only way Ma and Pa work. And when you think about it, a 10-issue of "Superman's most boring week" still wouldn't necessarily be filler and might not even be boring (to us). Just for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Okay, if DC lets you write Superman and you run this story I'll be all over it. But it'll take something equally genius to change my mind on the Kents.

And if DC does let you write Superman, see if you can't get me in as your editor.
    I'll use all of my amazing no-powers and see what I can do. lol
    Last edited by JAK; 06-18-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Relax friend, it was a joke. I just find humor in fans arguing how unnecessary parents are.
    Ah, that's fair. Sorry, it can be hard to tell with text.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Jonathan was already dead when The New 52 occurred. And Superman sales dropped to below their pre-52 numbers as soon as Morrison left.
    To be fair, there were likely numerous other reasons for the sale drop. I'm doubtful the Kents played much of a role in it either way. The lack of much coherent direction and especially the neglecting of Lois and the absence of the marriage in particular were likely bigger sources of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair, there were likely numerous other reasons for the sale drop. I'm doubtful the Kents played much of a role in it either way. The lack of much coherent direction and especially the neglecting of Lois and the absence of the marriage in particular were likely bigger sources of contention.
    Oh, definitely. Though, the point may be that Pa being dead wasn't a sales bump? But I don't think them being alive or dead be much of a sales bump either way, so...

Don't mind me, I'm just over here rambling. Carry on! lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Oh, definitely. Though, the point may be that Pa being dead wasn't a sales bump? But I don't think them being alive or dead be much of a sales bump either way, so...

No, you make a good point.

I think either side is putting more importance on the Kents' status (dead or alive) and how much of an impact it has than it really warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

As far as sales go, I dont think it makes a difference either way. People read Superman for Superman, not the supporting cast. We might like the supporting cast, and we have our preferences in how we want them treated, but end of the day (most) fans buy the book for the guy who's name is on the cover.

The Kents being alive didn't seem to have any impact on post-Crisis' sales, didn't seem to make a difference when they were dead in the New52 either.

When something happens to the cast, we get a little spike because its a change to Clark's world, but while we may be invested in the supporting characters they're not why we're reading the book (normally).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No, you make a good point.

I think either side is putting more importance on the Kents' status (dead or alive) and how much of an impact it has than it really warrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As far as sales go, I dont think it makes a difference either way. People read Superman for Superman, not the supporting cast. We might like the supporting cast, and we have our preferences in how we want them treated, but end of the day (most) fans buy the book for the guy who's name is on the cover.

The Kents being alive didn't seem to have any impact on post-Crisis' sales, didn't seem to make a difference when they were dead in the New52 either.

When something happens to the cast, we get a little spike because its a change to Clark's world, but while we may be invested in the supporting characters they're not why we're reading the book (normally).
    Absolutely (for both). That's why I don't put importance on it as far as sales are concerned - just my own preference.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com