Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hasn't Bendis said that Jon was going to be in every issue of Superman going forward or something? It sounds like, if Jon does go to the Legion he'll be doing double-duty between the two books. Week at home, weekends in the future, that sorta thing.
    Has he said that? Yikes, I'm glad I decided to wait on continuing with SUPERMAN. Ivan Reis is so great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Has he said that? Yikes, I'm glad I decided to wait on continuing with SUPERMAN. Ivan Reis is so great though.
    I *think* Bendis said that. Take it with a grain of salt, I dont usually read/listen to interviews or follow creators on social media, so what I pick up is largely just from places like this. I could be wrong. Or Bendis might've meant that Jon will be in every issue.......but only for the next story arc.

We should ask Superlad, he keeps up with this a lot more than I do. I think Sacred follows the interviews more closely as well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I *think* Bendis said that. Take it with a grain of salt, I dont usually read/listen to interviews or follow creators on social media, so what I pick up is largely just from places like this. I could be wrong. Or Bendis might've meant that Jon will be in every issue.......but only for the next story arc.

We should ask Superlad, he keeps up with this a lot more than I do. I think Sacred follows the interviews more closely as well.
    I'm the same as you man! I only pick stuff up off here. Thankfully Superlad keeps us in the know on what's happening in the Superbooks. I do appreciate that.

Grant Morrison is the only creator I'll read interviews. Cecil Castellucci too now, tbh. They're both so rad.

I've LOVED a lot of Bendis/Reis SUPERMAN, but it has kind of been drifting the past few issues. I'm not sure if it feels as wonderfully urgent as it did in the begining. With Jon having a larger role, and Reis not doing every issue- I'm unsure.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Nah, you're totally right, Bendis 100% said it. He said Jon would be in every issue going forward.

He also said that Jon would be reunited with Damian, meet Conner, and all the Kents would have a family get together.

Doesn't sound like basically any of that could happen if Jon were forever sent off into the future never to be heard from again.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm the same as you man! I only pick stuff up off here. Thankfully Superlad keeps us in the know on what's happening in the Superbooks. I do appreciate that.

Grant Morrison is the only creator I'll read interviews. Cecil Castellucci too now, tbh. They're both so rad.

I've LOVED a lot of Bendis/Reis SUPERMAN, but it has kind of been drifting the past few issues. I'm not sure if it feels as wonderfully urgent as it did in the begining. With Jon having a larger role, and Reis not doing every issue- I'm unsure.
    Yeah, the last few Superman issues haven't been as good as the beginning, and it only looks worse because Action has been building up to Leviathan and really starting to hit its stride. The book is still good enough for me to stick with but Im starting to feel the same way I did about Tomasi after his first year; things are starting to lose me. However, I'm still very interested in seeing what Bendis is building in Superman; the ties to the Legion and the United Planets, all that big cosmic stuff.....ya'll know I love me some cosmic Superman! So while with Tomasi I was just getting bored and unsatisfied, with Bendis (at least right now) I'm still intrigued by the overall direction even if the last few issues haven't entertained me as much as they had been.

I myself am going to stick around long enough to see what the status quo ends up looking like. I'll decide whether to keep Superman or just drop down to Action then.

And thanks Superlad, for keeping the rest of us up to date with what the creators are saying. It's greatly appreciated, as always my friend!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Nah, you're totally right, Bendis 100% said it. He said Jon would be in every issue going forward.

He also said that Jon would be reunited with Damian, meet Conner, and all the Kents would have a family get together.

Doesn't sound like basically any of that could happen if Jon were forever sent off into the future never to be heard from again.
    Worth noting that the context around Bendis unambiguously saying "Absolutely. Jon is in every single issue" is maybe up for debate regarding if he meant just the Unity Saga or the back as a whole.

The full exchange from Den of Geek is....

Den of Geek: "Are we approaching a culmination of all your Superman stories so far?"

Bendis: "Yeah, we got Jor-El, we got Rogol Zaar, we have the conspiracy around Krypton. This is all wrapped around that as well, so all of these plots that have been started since the very first pages of Man of Steel #1 are all going to be trickling together towards the big finale of “Unity Saga,” which is not the end of my Superman run, but it's the end of my first very, very large story. That will then set a table for Superman and Lois and Jon that's another status quo change that's going to really define what they do going forward. We're right at the beginning of the next big Superman status quo change."

Den of Geek: "And Jon plays heavily into that?"

Bendis: "Absolutely. Jon is in every single issue."

The part in bold at the end of Bendis' first answer seems to be what the interviewer is asking on. That's directly taking about the status quo for the book going forward. They specifically ask does Jon factor heavily into that, and Bendis says he's in every issue. It's possible that this was intended to mean that Jon is in every issue of the Unity Saga since he's been reintroduced (and that's been true), or it means that going forward he's in every issue of the new status quo that Bendis specifically pointed out involves him directly.

Hard to call just based on that, but the hard confirmation that Jon will be remaining great friends with Damian (Bendis cites his great love for character friendships being showcased with Miles and Ganke), Jon will meet Conner, and that Jon, Kara, Conner, Clark, and Lois will all have some family time together seems to strongly imply that Jon will be going between books.

I mean, for one, Conner isn't even back in the same universe yet, and won't be for some time, so if Jon's leaving now forever, two of those things can't possible happen.

Bendis even said that the relationship the Legion will have with Superman and his family will be "a version of the classic relationship". The classic relationship was always that they Legion would pick Clark up to go on adventures with them, then drop him back off in his own time. Based on what we know so far about Jon likely going with them, a "version of the classic relationship" in this sense seems to simply be that Jon will be doing the back and forth.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah, the last few Superman issues haven't been as good as the beginning, and it only looks worse because Action has been building up to Leviathan and really starting to hit its stride. The book is still good enough for me to stick with but Im starting to feel the same way I did about Tomasi after his first year; things are starting to lose me. However, I'm still very interested in seeing what Bendis is building in Superman; the ties to the Legion and the United Planets, all that big cosmic stuff.....ya'll know I love me some cosmic Superman! So while with Tomasi I was just getting bored and unsatisfied, with Bendis (at least right now) I'm still intrigued by the overall direction even if the last few issues haven't entertained me as much as they had been.

I myself am going to stick around long enough to see what the status quo ends up looking like. I'll decide whether to keep Superman or just drop down to Action then.

And thanks Superlad, for keeping the rest of us up to date with what the creators are saying. It's greatly appreciated, as always my friend!
    The ACTION stuff has been really great, totally. I love all the Invisible Mafia stuff and the plotting Bendis has been doing is so refreshing to see in a Superman title. I just can't justify buying the tie ins (stupid budget!), but I will 100% get around to reading Leviathan and all that sooner rather than later.

I've been picking up SUPERMAN since it's fairly self contained. It is so nice seeing cosmic Superman. I think things will pick up again. Plus, Ivan Reis can make anything into MUST READ material. Even exposition dumps.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-15-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Incredible Member

My thoughts are the same they were a few months ago. I don't like the age up, and I find him spending the entirety of his preteen and teenage years being tortured on earth 3 to make it entirely unacceptable. I want it undone and for Jon to be deaged and rest to how he was before ending up on earth three. I have no other recourse but to boycott anything with the aged up Jon. So Legion is automatically going on my boycott list. I've stopped supporting the books do not plan on supporting them again until the age up is undone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    My thoughts are the same they were a few months ago. I don't like the age up, and I find him spending the entirety of his preteen and teenage years being tortured on earth 3 to make it entirely unacceptable. I want it undone and for Jon to be deaged and rest to how he was before ending up on earth three. I have no other recourse but to boycott anything with the aged up Jon. So Legion is automatically going on my boycott list. I've stopped supporting the books do not plan on supporting them again until the age up is undone.
    The book is barely going to sell to begin with...so every boycott counts. The low sales are going to be epic
    Last edited by jason white reborn; 06-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Latching the Legion to Jon is a huge ole mistake IMO.
    Someone from over on the DC Comics Legion thread brought up the pretty solid point that with a roster that's confirmed to be 34 members deep (34 members that have largely been absent from the DCU for nearly a decade) and set in the very far future, you'll likely need a member/character who is largely new to the whole thing, and can act as our gateway into this fantastic world.

For the Tomasi and Gleason fans (and I get that doesn't apply to you), it would actually be a similar device to what they used early on in Superman with Jon. I've also seen Bendis do this pretty often in his work especially when it's young characters being introduced into a new setting (Riri, Miles, and especially the young X-Men).

Also, on a more armchair marketing expert note: "Batman and The Outsiders", Damian running the last two incarnation of the Teen Titans, yet another Batman/Superman book being put out. DC (and Marvel) usually feels more comfortable using one of the more recognizable properties as a gateway for something that's either untested or has had a hard time before.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-15-2019 at 08:14 PM.

My mindest is that the Legion has been such a difficult property to get going again for so long, that there's really no idea that's a bad idea at this point. We'll see where it goes.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, they just haven't found that thing that clicks on a easily marketable level for the Legion even though, conceptually, they're a fantastic idea.

This isn't Bendis' first rodeo, he has a surprising for getting his ideas to transition over to the everyday mainstream, and it's something he seems genuinely passionate about, so maybe he's got the juice?

I for one would love this to finally be the time when the Legion goes the distance. Maybe this generation of comic fans will be more receptive to what seems to be a very modern take on them?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If you ask me, it would have been better to if created a new generation of legion for relaunch. Bendis is said to be great on his own creations. Have jon be friends with new gen,instead of having him hang out with his father's childhood friends. It is just weird. Jon needs more world building like Hamilton, kathy, alien refugees.. Etc not his dad's friends.
    On flip note, i don't think legion really needs jon. These guys have histories, personalities and are established part of the lore. Jon would seem out of place. Especially, the current jon who i feel lacks the panel presence and bubbly nature the kid had.
    As for sales, since legion has never been great seller. Taking a chance with a new generation would have been ok. We could also have old gen legion and superman as parents and mentors to superboy and new gen legion, popping up in the books and in to the future. That would have helped the sales. It could have been like my hero academia With old gen as teachers and new gen student. And a special guest lecturer all mig-, i mean superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If you ask me, it would have been better to if created a new generation of legion for relaunch. Bendis is said to be great on his own creations. Have jon be friends with new gen,instead of having him hang out with his father's childhood friends. It is just weird. Jon needs more world building like Hamilton, kathy, alien refugees.. Etc not his dad's friends.
    That's just the thing though, over in a newsarama interview Bendis seems to be implying that while they were inspired by Clark still, they were never friends with him when he was younger. As Bendis said in the interview in regards to them showing up in Superman issue 14, "the debut of the Legion of Super-Heroes — and there are now, at the moment, no Legion of Super-Heroes — but their debut in this DC Universe is going to be in the pages of Superman."

He also confirmed that they are all teens, so these *would* be Jon's generation.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

But, these characters would be associated with clark, not jon. They would always be seen as part of Clark's superboy years by us audience. Jon could never take that place. A new generation would have added a new life and also would have allowed bendis to leave his mark on the legion franchise .with a new gen jon would have his own legion and clark his own.
    Ofcourse, it would take time to create whole new gen of Superheroes. But, i believe bendis can do it. His world building has been great thus far.
    Also, i want to see these guys and clark in mentor role. Especially, in a controlled environment. Just imagine the legend superman as plain old clark Kent entering a room full of aliens and metas including his son and trying to train them. I imagine, it would be fun and hilarious.
    Anyways, what do guys think was Bendis's pitch for the legion was? Simply, ageing jon up and throwing a book together with him and legion would not have been a great sales pitch for didio, i imagine. Since, legion has never been a strong seller. I don't think, they would assume that jon is anywhere near a draw for this to work, especially now. I believe bendis has a story. Maybe, it's quality story and gets word of mouth boost . Since, quality matters. i mean "the immortal hulk" has been beating batman lately. Do you guys think it is counting on word of mouth alone or will there be other pull factors?