Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 160
  1. #61
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Because honestly, if he's going to check in with his Mom about it. It seems like a bigger deal than just going for the weekends.
    That's interesting, because I disagree, and I actually think it 100% means it's a back and forth thing.

    Just think about it for a second: Jon *just* got back from a trip with his grandfather were he ended up time traveling, and missing years with his parents. So, I'm sure you can imagine how "hey mom, dad, can I go time traveling for a few days" might be a touchy subject. They *just* got him back. So, why wouldn't he check in with his mom? As she clearly expressed in issue 7 through 10, she was not in a good place about this whole age up thing. She held it together because she needed to. Honestly, the fact that the solicit says Jon alone is there makes me think this is anything but an extended goodbye. If it were than Clark would be there too, I feel.

    The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking both Rucka and Bendis will frame this similar to Lois' situation. Thus, there's also gonna be a quick and convenient method that only Superman could do that will allow the family to physically interact. For Lois, Bendis has made it clear that Chicago is ultimately like Lois being in the other room for Clark due to his speed, hearing, and sight. And I imagine that, via time bubble, the same superhuman convenience will be afforded here. I believe Bendis has foreshadowed it via Jon's said that allows him to teleport anywhere in the galaxy.

    I'm thinking the Rucka is gonna play up how this forms parallels between Lois and Jon. Like his mother, Jon, after *just* getting home, will be find a cause that he feels strongly drawn to, and needs his attention. It's also something that's gonna further shift their family dynamic into something impossible for anyone else but them with the tech, abilities, and friends they have. It's basically Lois getting the Action 1004 talk in a funny way (and possible intentional way).
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  2. #62
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Then those people should have voted with their wallets and bought the current super done book, but they didn’t and it’s sales have been terrible
    Adventures of Super Sons sales are terrible, but this is influenced for the current a ituation. Supergirl sales are almost as terrible (although Supergirl has variant covers).

    However, the sales of Supersons original run were much better.
    Last edited by Konja7; 06-17-2019 at 10:47 AM.

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Adventures of Super Sons sales are terrible, but this is influenced for the current changes. Supergirl sales are almost as terrible (although Supergirl has variant covers).

    However, the sales of Supersons original run were much better.
    and the sales of the original is why dc did another run, sadly if fans wanted to prove there was still interest they should have bought that.

  4. #64
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    and the sales of the original is why dc did another run, sadly if fans wanted to prove there was still interest they should have bought that.
    They didn't do "another run". They stopped an ongoing that wasn't selling bad.
    I for my part felt cheated enough that DC isn't getting my money anymore unless a few heads are rolling, figuratively.

    Preferably Didio AND Lee

    I showed my interest in buying the first series. DC showed me they weren't interested in my money by cancelling it.
    Why should I trust them and throw more money at them after they showed me they didn't care?
    Last edited by Stardust; 06-17-2019 at 12:08 PM.

  5. #65
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    40,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Gonna make the slight fairly harmless prediction: The Legion book will be called Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes.

    A few people made some good points and observations in regards to the likelihood of this title, and the patterns they've been seeing of late. It's probably not widely know, but the Legion didn't actually have a book to themselves for years. They started out in the Superboy comic. The were "Superboy staring the Legion of Super-Heroes," "Superboy in The Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes," and "Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes." When Johns brought them back they came in an arc called "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes," and then went on to star in the back-up feature of the revived Adventure Comics that stared Conner Kent-Superboy. They were even "Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes" under Waid before Johns. Hell, even the Legion cartoon show was called "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes."

    I bring all this up because we seem to be in a very similar position right now, but even more so alike to the original run, and a Superman character is often there to introduce and shaped the Legion because they're popularity isn't what it used to be. It's confirmed that the Legion's first appearance will be Superman issue 14, and that there wouldn't have been a Legion team before then in the DCU.

    Bendis has also confirmed that the DC Millennium 2 part book, AND the Legion book itself will be under the Superman editorial banner. But, maybe the biggest bit of info in favor of the theory: Bendis apparently hasn't confirmed the title. It's obviously a Legion of Super-Heroes book, yes, but Bendis hasn't given a title according to Newsarama.

    With all this under consideration, it seems like the book might have a real shot at being called Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

    Incidentally, this would pretty much hard confirm that Jon isn't giving up the name Superboy.
    I was kind of expecting that for a while now.

    I wouldn't even be surprised if, in practice, the book comes off more like a Jon solo featuring the Legion then an actual legion of Superheros team book. It would fit more to Bendis' strength in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's interesting, because I disagree, and I actually think it 100% means it's a back and forth thing.

    Just think about it for a second: Jon *just* got back from a trip with his grandfather were he ended up time traveling, and missing years with his parents. So, I'm sure you can imagine how "hey mom, dad, can I go time traveling for a few days" might be a touchy subject. They *just* got him back. So, why wouldn't he check in with his mom? As she clearly expressed in issue 7 through 10, she was not in a good place about this whole age up thing. She held it together because she needed to. Honestly, the fact that the solicit says Jon alone is there makes me think this is anything but an extended goodbye. If it were than Clark would be there too, I feel.

    The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking both Rucka and Bendis will frame this similar to Lois' situation. Thus, there's also gonna be a quick and convenient method that only Superman could do that will allow the family to physically interact. For Lois, Bendis has made it clear that Chicago is ultimately like Lois being in the other room for Clark due to his speed, hearing, and sight. And I imagine that, via time bubble, the same superhuman convenience will be afforded here. I believe Bendis has foreshadowed it via Jon's said that allows him to teleport anywhere in the galaxy.

    I'm thinking the Rucka is gonna play up how this forms parallels between Lois and Jon. Like his mother, Jon, after *just* getting home, will be find a cause that he feels strongly drawn to, and needs his attention. It's also something that's gonna further shift their family dynamic into something impossible for anyone else but them with the tech, abilities, and friends they have. It's basically Lois getting the Action 1004 talk in a funny way (and possible intentional way).
    I think there will probably be opportunities for him to come back when a writer wants to do something with him but I figure the intention is that 90% of the time he'll probably be with the Legion.

  6. #66
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Just a clarification: Both Superman books, specially compared to the previous run, are not doing well in sales, which is specially glaring as Bendis is getting significantly more than Tomasi and Jurgens.

    Meanwhile Adventures of the Super Sons is selling, in its penultimate issue, about 18K units. That would be bad a few years ago, true, but for an out of continuity book it is pretty much decent.

  7. #67
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    and the sales of the original is why dc did another run, sadly if fans wanted to prove there was still interest they should have bought that.
    Not a fair comparison. Adventures of the Super Sons is hamstrung by being a "flashback" story, which was required so that it didn't interfere with Bendis's crap, so the story can't set up anything for the future, and that hurts casual readership.

    There's also the fact that DC cut the variant covers from the book, so it's not getting the artificial sales boost most other titles do. People buying two copies to get both covers are masking sales problems for a lot of books at DC.

    If DC was trying to promote the book, rather than publishing it as an apology to Super Sons fans and Tomasi/Gleason, its sales would be better. Even as an afterthought, it's still outselling Hawkman and Batman Beyond (and isn't far from outselling Supergirl).

  8. #68
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't even be surprised if, in practice, the book comes off more like a Jon solo featuring the Legion then an actual legion of Superheros team book. It would fit more to Bendis' strength in my opinion.
    Yeah, I'm thinking Jon will be our POV character that we experience the world through. He'll react in awe and shock, and he'll learn along with us. That will likely put him in as close to a lead character role as possible. That said, given Bendis obvious love for the characters in the Legion, I wouldn't count out the likelihood that he'll make sure to spread the love. Likely rotating how the focus is spread with special attention to keep Jon close by as our learning and developing eyes and ears.

    I think there will probably be opportunities for him to come back when a writer wants to do something with him but I figure the intention is that 90% of the time he'll probably be with the Legion.
    I'm think it'll be played pretty loose. Bendis has already confirmed a few important things that will require he back in the present beyond this point: the meeting with Conner, the reunion with Damian, and the big family get together. Functionally speaking, like how Lois can be by Superman's side for whatever story even though she's in Chicago doing work, Jon will be able to do the same. I'm thinking both the Superman and Action books will shuffle Jon and Lois in and out from story arc to story arc. Functionally speaking I'm okay with this. Just has to be made clear that, like the Lois situation, it's relatively simple for Lois and Clark to see Jon.

    Side note: I'm thinking this is why Bendis is in part why rebooting the Legion. It allows the "okay, heading off to the future now. Be back Sunday" of the Silver and Bronze age to have more weight to it. Jon, Lois, and Clark have already experienced how scary the idea of time travel can be, so there's some added tension to our Superboy coming and going. Had Clark already done this it cut the tension pretty hard.

    It should probably be pointed out that we also need to hammer out what Jon's public status quo. He's been gone for 3 weeks and is still 10 as far as everyone knows, but that can't last forever, and he clearly just can't never be seen again by his godfather and Lois and Clark's boss, Parry. I'm seriously thinking that Bendis is planning on having it so Clark is publicly Jon's step-father with Superman being his biological father, and the Kents being a blended family. I'm thinking the fact that Jon was filmed by dozens of phones when he landed back on Earth in issue 10, and was then seen with his mom and Superman by to janitors in issue 7 means that, like how Lois will deal with that heat-of-the-moment kiss she shared with Superman that got filmed, Jon and the Kents will deal with this, and it will require Jon to pop up in the modern day.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-17-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  9. #69
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's interesting, because I disagree, and I actually think it 100% means it's a back and forth thing.

    Just think about it for a second: Jon *just* got back from a trip with his grandfather were he ended up time traveling, and missing years with his parents. So, I'm sure you can imagine how "hey mom, dad, can I go time traveling for a few days" might be a touchy subject. They *just* got him back. So, why wouldn't he check in with his mom? As she clearly expressed in issue 7 through 10, she was not in a good place about this whole age up thing. She held it together because she needed to. Honestly, the fact that the solicit says Jon alone is there makes me think this is anything but an extended goodbye. If it were than Clark would be there too, I feel.

    The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking both Rucka and Bendis will frame this similar to Lois' situation. Thus, there's also gonna be a quick and convenient method that only Superman could do that will allow the family to physically interact. For Lois, Bendis has made it clear that Chicago is ultimately like Lois being in the other room for Clark due to his speed, hearing, and sight. And I imagine that, via time bubble, the same superhuman convenience will be afforded here. I believe Bendis has foreshadowed it via Jon's said that allows him to teleport anywhere in the galaxy.

    I'm thinking the Rucka is gonna play up how this forms parallels between Lois and Jon. Like his mother, Jon, after *just* getting home, will be find a cause that he feels strongly drawn to, and needs his attention. It's also something that's gonna further shift their family dynamic into something impossible for anyone else but them with the tech, abilities, and friends they have. It's basically Lois getting the Action 1004 talk in a funny way (and possible intentional way).
    I'm sorry. Are you asking me to apply human logic to the current run of Superman? Nothing about the run has had people acting in ways that were in anyway realistic. It's been completely non-sensical.

    Sure it would make sense for Jon to check in with his Mom before going to join the Legion for a few days. But all of Bendis's writing in Superman to this point has been to achieve a new status quo, not to do what makes sense. So there is a good chance that Jon will be shipping off to the future on a more permanent basis even if it makes no sense.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Adventures of the Super Sons, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  10. #70
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    and the sales of the original is why dc did another run, sadly if fans wanted to prove there was still interest they should have bought that.
    As others have said, the new series got next to no promotion and the way the story is being told, it's not as necessary as the first run was. It's pretty clear Tomasi's hands were tied and DC was just doing the series to get Super Sons fans off their back, knowing that they'd be able to quietly cancel it later.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Adventures of the Super Sons, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  11. #71
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm sorry. Are you asking me to apply human logic to the current run of Superman? Nothing about the run has had people acting in ways that were in anyway realistic. It's been completely non-sensical.

    Sure it would make sense for Jon to check in with his Mom before going to join the Legion for a few days. But all of Bendis's writing in Superman to this point has been to achieve a new status quo, not to do what makes sense. So there is a good chance that Jon will be shipping off to the future on a more permanent basis even if it makes no sense.
    If that's how you feel.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  12. #72
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    40,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking Jon will be our POV character that we experience the world through. He'll react in awe and shock, and he'll learn along with us. That will likely put him in as close to a lead character role as possible. That said, given Bendis obvious love for the characters in the Legion, I wouldn't count out the likelihood that he'll make sure to spread the love. Likely rotating how the focus is spread with special attention to keep Jon close by as our learning and developing eyes and ears.
    Considering Bendis' issues with writing teams and large groups I think having a POV character that will be there to bounce off/interact with the various Legion characters is probably more his speed then actually trying to write the Legion as a full-blown team.

    I mean, there's usually just one character in his team books who get 70-80% of the focus and development anyways.
    I'm think it'll be played pretty loose. Bendis has already confirmed a few important things that will require he back in the present beyond this point: the meeting with Conner, the reunion with Damian, and the big family get together. Functionally speaking, like how Lois can be by Superman's side for whatever story even though she's in Chicago doing work, Jon will be able to do the same. I'm thinking both the Superman and Action books will shuffle Jon and Lois in and out from story arc to story arc. Functionally speaking I'm okay with this. Just has to be made clear that, like the Lois situation, it's relatively simple for Lois and Clark to see Jon.
    I've always just assumed that Conner meeting and Damian reunion were just to address those relationships and cap things off before Jon gets sent off to the future.

  13. #73
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    Not a fair comparison. Adventures of the Super Sons is hamstrung by being a "flashback" story, which was required so that it didn't interfere with Bendis's crap, so the story can't set up anything for the future, and that hurts casual readership.

    There's also the fact that DC cut the variant covers from the book, so it's not getting the artificial sales boost most other titles do. People buying two copies to get both covers are masking sales problems for a lot of books at DC.

    If DC was trying to promote the book, rather than publishing it as an apology to Super Sons fans and Tomasi/Gleason, its sales would be better. Even as an afterthought, it's still outselling Hawkman and Batman Beyond (and isn't far from outselling Supergirl).
    DC isn't going to see it that way. They put out a good book with the Super Sons, and it's not selling. They're not going to care about excuses like "oh, its a flashback so absolutely nobody cares about it!" If Jon had as much support as he appears to, and people were really as upset over the aging as they appear to be online, those people would be grabbing the title off the shelves as the "last gasp."

    Jon's only been around what, two-three years? He's not a staple, he's an experiment in bringing a Silver Age "Elseworlds" style idea to the mainstream market (just like Clark-Diana dating was). They're not going to care or be as invested in Jon as the fans are. And if the only book in mainstream direct market sales where he's still ten isn't selling that's just going to tell DC that ten-year-old Jon doesn't have the support the internet makes it look like he has. If all of Jon's fans decided to drop Super Sons because of the age-up, they're just cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

    Ive been buying the book and I dont even think Clark should have a kid (I do like Jon though, even if he shouldnt exist). Where's everyone else?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  14. #74
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If that's how you feel.
    Sorry, that may have come off stronger than I meant it to. You have been taking an incredibly optimistic approach to Jon's changes. That's great, but for a lot of Jon fans, there doesn't seem to be much reason for optimism. Bendis has pretty much done exactly what people have been dreading and there doesn't seem like much reason to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. He may let Jon continue to appear in Superman, but there is a seriously good chance he's gone from the title after the Unity Saga.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC isn't going to see it that way. They put out a good book with the Super Sons, and it's not selling. They're not going to care about excuses like "oh, its a flashback so absolutely nobody cares about it!" If Jon had as much support as he appears to, and people were really as upset over the aging as they appear to be online, those people would be grabbing the title off the shelves as the "last gasp."

    Jon's only been around what, two-three years? He's not a staple, he's an experiment in bringing a Silver Age "Elseworlds" style idea to the mainstream market (just like Clark-Diana dating was). They're not going to care or be as invested in Jon as the fans are. And if the only book in mainstream direct market sales where he's still ten isn't selling that's just going to tell DC that ten-year-old Jon doesn't have the support the internet makes it look like he has. If all of Jon's fans decided to drop Super Sons because of the age-up, they're just cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

    Ive been buying the book and I dont even think Clark should have a kid (I do like Jon though, even if he shouldnt exist). Where's everyone else?
    I disagree. DC's never going to say it outright, but my guess is they do see it that way. I think this was always how they intended things to go. Commission the series, but don't promote it and tie up Tomasi's hands in what stories he can tell, then have more of an argument to use when they don't bring it back. Come on, media companies do this sort of thing all the time.

    Even so, the first trade sold pretty decently and Zoom graphic novel seems to have as well. There's still call for it.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Adventures of the Super Sons, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  15. #75
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering Bendis' issues with writing teams and large groups I think having a POV character that will be there to bounce off/interact with the various Legion characters is probably more his speed then actually trying to write the Legion as a full-blown team.
    That's fair given how he opted to write All-new X-Men by basically using Scott and Jean as his eyes and ears into the complicated and contradictory world of X-Men continuity. It also lines up with what I think is Bendis' best ensemble cast, Ultimate Spider-Man. There he juggled Peter, MJ, Gwen, Kitty, Aunt May, JJ, Jessica Drew, Bombshell, Nick Fury, Johnny Storm, Bobby Drake, Liz, Kong, and Flash throughout the book's original two runs. That was achieved through working through Peter's eyes and ears, and yet being quite generous with development beyond him. I think that'd be a great place to start off the book for new perspective reader, yeah.

    I've always just assumed that Conner meeting and Damian reunion were just to address those relationships and cap things off before Jon gets sent off to the future.
    Eh, Bendis also flat out said that nothings happening to end Damian and Jon's friendship, so I'll take him at his word. There supposed to have that Big homage coming up. He also said that Jon's age up is something Lois, Clark, and Jon will have to continue dealing with together as a family.

    Like I said before, I'm thinking Jon's situation (along with allowing a fresh place for new fans to come onto a property as intimidating as the Legion) may actually be in part why the Legion is getting rebooted. It allows the "okay, heading off to the future now. Be back Sunday" of the Silver and Bronze age to have more weight to it. Jon, Lois, and Clark have already experienced how scary the idea of time travel can be, so there's some added tension to our Superboy coming and going. Had Clark already having done it would cut the tension pretty hard.

    It adds stakes to the time travel that have never really been there before, and it makes Jon's choice to go back out there all the more brave and noble. Likely foreshadowed with Clark asking him if he wanted to suit back up to go out into space or stay home, and he decided to suit up, and Clark couldn't help but be proud.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •