Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would it be better if DC stopped publishing WW for a few years & sort things out

I know WW and us fans have suffered for quite some time now with respect to her comics, movies, etc. Writer after writer, her stories just feel bland, lifeless and weak with Diana often getting shafted. DC doesn’t seem to have a solid direction with her and she feels all over the place with no consistency. I mean, I can’t be the only one who wants WW in her own verse without Superman, Batman, etc. She also needs her own editor. But seriously, I know there has been a lot of crap going on with GWW’s run (Wondy still feels weak) but gosh, it feels like FOREVER since WW has done anything major. It would be better if DC just took a break with Wondy than us just getting crappy stories than does the character no favors.

I've felt as such before so that might not be a bad idea.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont think she needs to be in her own universe or not published for DC to sort her out. There simply needs to be an editor with a strong sense of who the character is that can find a creative team that has at least the ability to understand that and convey it on page. Wonder Woman is all over the place because each writer that comes in has no clue what to do or how to handle her. Even when writers did seem to have a clear understanding of her (Rucka, Simone) editors sabotaged them.
    There's a clear vision of who Superman is, who Batman is and writers dont deviate too far from that whether it is due to their own understanding or editors saying no you can't do that....Wonder Woman has never had that and that's what she needs. Stopping publication or shunting her into her own universe wouldn't solve either problem as long as the creatives behind her dont understand her.

BANNED

If they don't care about trying their best. If they will keep doing the bare minimun. They should stop publishing altogether. We don't need a mediocre run after another with a weak, lifeless and doubtful about herself WW. That doesn't do her name justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I dont think she needs to be in her own universe or not published for DC to sort her out. There simply needs to be an editor with a strong sense of who the character is that can find a creative team that has at least the ability to understand that and convey it on page. Wonder Woman is all over the place because each writer that comes in has no clue what to do or how to handle her. Even when writers did seem to have a clear understanding of her (Rucka, Simone) editors sabotaged them.
    There's a clear vision of who Superman is, who Batman is and writers dont deviate too far from that whether it is due to their own understanding or editors saying no you can't do that....Wonder Woman has never had that and that's what she needs. Stopping publication or shunting her into her own universe wouldn't solve either problem as long as the creatives behind her dont understand her.
    What did editors do to sabotage Simone and Ruka? Why would they do that and how can this problem be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    If they don't care about trying their best. If they will keep doing the bare minimun. They should stop publishing altogether. We don't need a mediocre run after another with a weak, lifeless and doubtful about herself WW. That doesn't do her name justice.
    The struggle is REAL.

I forget where I saw this but isn't there a stipulation between DC and Marston's estate that WONDER WOMAN must be published continuously?

I believe the only break in publication was in 1986 between WONDER WOMAN #329, THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN 4-issue mini series by Trina Robbins, and the launch of WONDER WOMAN #1 under George Perez's auspices.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I forget where I saw this but isn't there a stipulation between DC and Marston's estate that WONDER WOMAN must be published continuously?

I believe the only break in publication was in 1986 between WONDER WOMAN #329, THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN 4-issue mini series by Trina Robbins, and the launch of WONDER WOMAN #1 under George Perez's auspices.
    Hmm..but for some, the entire Azzarello run was seen as a hiatus for WW comics

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Hah! I was not a fan of that run at all, but still bought and read the books anyway.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Doing this with a lot of their properties wouldn't be the worst idea. Batman is the only one who can seemingly can go on indefinitely, but when WW, Superman, or the Titans go through the motions things get ROUGH.

If they do that it would go back to Marston’s family. Despite everything Dc doesn’t want to lose the rights to Diana. Maybe it’s actually for the best if they did. The only down side is certain characters.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    If they do that it would go back to Marston’s family. Despite everything Dc doesn’t want to lose the rights to Diana. Maybe it’s actually for the best if they did. The only down side is certain characters.
    I dunno about that. Reversion of rights to the Marstons? What happens then? No WONDER WOMAN at all?

Maybe for people who think Diana is better off saying things like "vegetative injustice" . . .

The Azzarello/Chiang run actually got me to start reading and enjoying the character again. Then DC spoiled that by giving us the bird-brain run by the Finches.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe for people who think Diana is better off saying things like "vegetative injustice" . . .

The Azzarello/Chiang run actually got me to start reading and enjoying the character again. Then DC spoiled that by giving us the bird-brain run by the Finches.
    If it got you to "start reading the character" than how could you "enjoy the character again"? What about the things that came before? Did it correlate? I'd rather not talk about the Azz run as I'm sick of discussing it. Finches were awful, that's true. But for me, so was Azz.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

That's hilarious and quite accurate at the same time. It's because of runs like Azzarello's that I kind of see the original poster's point. Wonder Woman's continuity, supporting cast, and rogues gallery are a lackluster mess. Things almost got turned around in Rucka's Rebirth but since then, DC has dropped the ball. We keeps getting new supporting characters and adversaries that don't have much, if any, staying power. Instead of further developing Steve, Etta, Donna, Hippolyta, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Silver Swan, Dr. Psycho, etc. we get Zola, Lennox, Jason, Maggie, and the "Zoo Crew".
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.