Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would it be better if DC stopped publishing WW for a few years & sort things out

I know WW and us fans have suffered for quite some time now with respect to her comics, movies, etc. Writer after writer, her stories just feel bland, lifeless and weak with Diana often getting shafted. DC doesn’t seem to have a solid direction with her and she feels all over the place with no consistency. I mean, I can’t be the only one who wants WW in her own verse without Superman, Batman, etc. She also needs her own editor. But seriously, I know there has been a lot of crap going on with GWW’s run (Wondy still feels weak) but gosh, it feels like FOREVER since WW has done anything major. It would be better if DC just took a break with Wondy than us just getting crappy stories than does the character no favors.

I've felt as such before so that might not be a bad idea.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont think she needs to be in her own universe or not published for DC to sort her out. There simply needs to be an editor with a strong sense of who the character is that can find a creative team that has at least the ability to understand that and convey it on page. Wonder Woman is all over the place because each writer that comes in has no clue what to do or how to handle her. Even when writers did seem to have a clear understanding of her (Rucka, Simone) editors sabotaged them.
    There's a clear vision of who Superman is, who Batman is and writers dont deviate too far from that whether it is due to their own understanding or editors saying no you can't do that....Wonder Woman has never had that and that's what she needs. Stopping publication or shunting her into her own universe wouldn't solve either problem as long as the creatives behind her dont understand her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I dont think she needs to be in her own universe or not published for DC to sort her out. There simply needs to be an editor with a strong sense of who the character is that can find a creative team that has at least the ability to understand that and convey it on page. Wonder Woman is all over the place because each writer that comes in has no clue what to do or how to handle her. Even when writers did seem to have a clear understanding of her (Rucka, Simone) editors sabotaged them.
    There's a clear vision of who Superman is, who Batman is and writers dont deviate too far from that whether it is due to their own understanding or editors saying no you can't do that....Wonder Woman has never had that and that's what she needs. Stopping publication or shunting her into her own universe wouldn't solve either problem as long as the creatives behind her dont understand her.
    What did editors do to sabotage Simone and Ruka? Why would they do that and how can this problem be fixed?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    What did editors do to sabotage Simone and Ruka?
    Rucka had plans on staying on past Infinite Crisis, but was removed in favor of Allen Heinberg. One possible reason is that he got into an argument with Didio over WW's fate after IC (Didio wanted her to go on the run).

Heinberg wanted to use Batman in his run of WW (instead of Nemesis) and I believe one of the Batbook writers also wanted to use WW, but got vetoed.

Simone wanted to use the Greek Gods from Rucka's run and was vetoed the idea by the editor who iirc is the same person that helped sabotage Waid's run of Captain America back when he worked at Marvel (and also burned through close to 10 different writers on the two Superman books in the span of five years). Though to be fair he is also the credited for the Azzarello run, but that one had several powerful people including Didio and Chiarello backing it.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Rucka had plans on staying on past Infinite Crisis, but was removed in favor of Allen Heinberg. One possible reason is that he got into an argument with Didio over WW's fate after IC (Didio wanted her to go on the run).

Heinberg wanted to use Batman in his run of WW (instead of Nemesis) and I believe one of the Batbook writers also wanted to use WW, but got vetoed.

Simone wanted to use the Greek Gods from Rucka's run and was vetoed the idea by the editor who iirc is the same person that helped sabotage Waid's run of Captain America back when he worked at Marvel (and also burned through close to 10 different writers on the two Superman books in the span of five years). Though to be fair he is also the credited for the Azzarello run, but that one had several powerful people including Didio and Chiarello backing it.
    Why would dido and others do that? Putting onstacles in the way, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

In addition, as I understand it, editorial also is one of the prime reasons Genocide was botched.

Originally, she was going to be a resurrected version of Knockout, but halfway through the arc, DC nixed that option because the New Gods were being handled elsewhere. Gail had to rewrite the script in mid-story.

She is also not the only one this happened to. George Perez left Superman early because he would pitch a story, get approval, write it and then suddenly have to re-write it in mid-arc due to events outside the book, particularly Action which took place in the past.

Unfortunately, it seems multiple writers and titles have fallen victim to miscommunications among editors :/

BANNED

If they don't care about trying their best. If they will keep doing the bare minimun. They should stop publishing altogether. We don't need a mediocre run after another with a weak, lifeless and doubtful about herself WW. That doesn't do her name justice.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    If they don't care about trying their best. If they will keep doing the bare minimun. They should stop publishing altogether. We don't need a mediocre run after another with a weak, lifeless and doubtful about herself WW. That doesn't do her name justice.
    The struggle is REAL.

I forget where I saw this but isn't there a stipulation between DC and Marston's estate that WONDER WOMAN must be published continuously?

I believe the only break in publication was in 1986 between WONDER WOMAN #329, THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN 4-issue mini series by Trina Robbins, and the launch of WONDER WOMAN #1 under George Perez's auspices.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I forget where I saw this but isn't there a stipulation between DC and Marston's estate that WONDER WOMAN must be published continuously?

I believe the only break in publication was in 1986 between WONDER WOMAN #329, THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN 4-issue mini series by Trina Robbins, and the launch of WONDER WOMAN #1 under George Perez's auspices.
    Hmm..but for some, the entire Azzarello run was seen as a hiatus for WW comics