Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Anyone remember this animated movie?

It was about a boy who dreams he's captain of a ship and he has to find the island his little sister and her living toys and dolls are stranded before the volcano erupts.

Yes I remember that. The Toys want to make her their Princess and stay with them.
    I just can't remember the name right now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Hey, thanks! I try typing the plot into google, but nothing else so far. I have found the name of a British comedy I remember from cable tv in the 70's (The Bulldog Breed 1961) that stuck in my head all these years, for some reason, so maybe I'll eventually find the title to this one. I'm pretty sure the cartoon was dubbed in english, but It was European, not Japanese (maybe Russian?) Again, thanks!

Doesnt ring a bell but if either of you got more info I help try to track it down. About how old is the movie, animation style, any character names etc...?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Sounds a lot like the plot of the Fables comic story "Cubs in Toyland," except for the volcano. Maybe Willingham swiped it from this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Sounds a lot like the plot of the Fables comic story "Cubs in Toyland," except for the volcano. Maybe Willingham swiped it from this movie.
    Oh man, am I confusing a Fables comic with an animated film? With all this stuff floating around in our brains from comics, films and books, they can get jumbled together.

Might be time to put me in a home.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The plot of a dreaming boy reminds of Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland but they rest sounds very different.

Retired

I don't know the movie--I'm interested to find out--and I haven't read "Cubs in Toyland," but Wlllingham no doubt got the title from BABES IN TOYLAND which was an operetta that has been made into a movie twice--the most famous version being a Disney movie from 1961 starring Annette Funicello. My sister had the activity book for this movie.

William; was this traditional animation, CGI or anime?

Mighty Member

I saw it on tv around 1966--1969 when i was a kid. I t must have been one of those syndicated package deals, since I remember it being aroun 9 AM (must have had a cold that day and stayed home). This was the same local channel I remember seein the Czech film about the the boys who went down the river of time to the dinosaurs and beyond. Gotta catch my bus now, bye!

An old cartoon, that helps.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I saw it on tv around 1966--1969 when i was a kid. I t must have been one of those syndicated package deals, since I remember it being aroun 9 AM (must have had a cold that day and stayed home). This was the same local channel I remember seein the Czech film about the the boys who went down the river of time to the dinosaurs and beyond. Gotta catch my bus now, bye!
    I bet this was some anime show from Japan or Germany or France that was a tv series and they took parts of episodes and made a movie.

I know Robotech or I should say Macross did it. Macross had it's entire run turned into a 90 minute movie that aired LATE at night.

I want to say Cap Harlock was done the same way.

As was another series.

Retired

It sounds like an Eastern European animated movie, possibly Czech or Soviet. I was looking at listings for Eastern European animated movies from the 1950s and 1960s, but I couldn't find one that fits the description. It could be THE TREASURE OF BIRD ISLAND (1952), a Czech animated movie directed by Karel Zeman or another film from the same director--but sources on the web don't give out many details on these films.

We didn't get a lot of Russian cartoons in America in the 50s and 60s.