Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

One of the ever-green Avengers trade/HC collections that are still selling well to this day like DPS.

Should probably also be written before 1995 to count.

Astonishing Member

It's crazy how 'iconic' story lines don't exist after 2000 on any comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    First one that came to mind for me was siege of the mansion, but lots of good ones mentioned. I certainly don’t think this qualifies as number 1 but I’ll throw in the Gatherers saga since it was such a slow build over many many issues.
    i was going to go with the gatherers due to the length and the epic feel

Kree Skrull War I think might be considered the biggest classic Avengers story.

But really, I think a lot of the bigger signature Avenger stories are all the modern era stuff. Not saying the newer stuff is necessarily better or whatever... but I think this is actually the big era for the Avengers. Civil War is probably the biggest story the Avengers have ever had, and quite possibly might be the biggest story they ever will have.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post

Sinestro Corps War, Planet Hulk, Court of Owls, Hush, Civil War, The Winter Soldier, Flashpoint, and House of M all come to mind immediately. I'm sure others can name more.

Kang Dynasty or Avengers Forever though my personal favorite is Under Siege.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Kree Skrull War I think might be considered the biggest classic Avengers story.

But really, I think a lot of the bigger signature Avenger stories are all the modern era stuff. Not saying the newer stuff is necessarily better or whatever... but I think this is actually the big era for the Avengers. Civil War is probably the biggest story the Avengers have ever had, and quite possibly might be the biggest story they ever will have.
    If you go by sheer scope and count it as one, I think the Incursions storyline is bigger...and is the best, IMO. TRO specially was fantastic, the real Civil War 2, and better than the original.

Phoenix saga has more of a similar thing. Someone gets really juiced up cosmic powers and plays with the world. I'm not sure what the corollary to the Collector's role is, but that was part of what made it so great, more or less two different plots that converge. "And then there were three"

Very good points to consider. Kree-Skrull took a few factoids and spun them; the deserted, hypnotized skrull cows from FF # 2, as you more or less imply. Things like that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I guess I want to know the broad strokes of the Korvac Saga then.
    Michael Korvac is a human from the same time period as the original Guardians of the Galaxy. He is experimented on by the Badoon and has his lower half of his body replaced by machines. He fights the Guardians and Thor and escapes only to find the world ship of Galactus. He plugs himself into the world ship and gains god level powers and heads back to Earth with the intent on recreating a perfect world in his image. The Guardians follow him back through time to try and stop him. The Collector sensing the threat of Korvac tries to collect all the Avengers to preserve them.

The story takes place in Thor Annual 6 and Avengers 167-177.

Boisterously Confused

Same thing that's happened to movies. Nobody wants to bet on anything less than a sure thing in entertainment these days.

Disassembled and Ultron Unlimited are probably the closest things to an Avengers story (that's not dependent on some larger event) that can't be compared to something from the first 10-15 years of their run. All of the Kang stories, for example, tend to share DNA with the Kang stories from issue 143 and forward.

For me, the most epic Avengers story, and the one most prototypical of what follows is probably the extended Masters of Evil arc that ran from No. 6-16. I love that it's based on the idea that no good deed goes unpunished (especially when a hero leaves a villain alive to desire revenge), and who don't like A Good Ole Superbrawl? Under Siege probably did it best, but The Old Silver Age Bullpen got there first.

That's because back then they weren't trying to write 'iconic' stories.
    They just wanted to tell good stories.

I'm gonna get Secret Empire pages tatooed on my back.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'm gonna get Secret Empire pages tatooed on my back.
    Do you really hate yourself that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Do you really hate yourself that much?
    The book is so good and iconic that it'll feel like a massage.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate